Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Martin Platt Return?

Coronation Street airs Martin Platt's return scenes next week as David decides to pay him a visit in Liverpool.

David (Jack P Shepherd) makes the spontaneous choice to seek out his dad after being raped by Josh Tucker – clearly in turmoil as he wonders whether to confide in Martin about his ordeal.

As Martin speaks about his big plans to emigrate to New Zealand, David decides that he wants to go along too – desperate to be as far away from Josh as possible. How will David's loved ones react to his sudden desire for a new life on the other side of the world?

Digital Spy recently paid a visit to the Corrie set to hear Sean Wilson speak about returning to the show as Martin after 12 years away.

Have you been asked back to Coronation Street before?

"No, this is the first time. I didn't really know what I felt about it before the scripts arrived. David is in one of the biggest predicaments of his life in this storyline. Not only has it happened, but then there's the aftermath and the psychological effects. The more time goes by and David doesn't tell anyone, the worse it gets.

"But of course, he has to unburden himself at some point. That's where Martin comes in. Martin definitely knows there's something wrong with David, as it's obvious. At first Martin thinks it could be girlfriend trouble or something like that.

"But then as time goes by, it's clear to Martin that there are many dimensions to this. He starts to get very worried about David."

Does David confide in his dad?

"Once or twice, David gets really close to telling Martin, but he doesn't. Throughout this, Martin is packing to start a new life in New Zealand. This gives David an opportunity to get out of Dodge City, because he's having to face his attacker every day. David grabs this opportunity a little too quickly. All his family are like: 'What? That's come out of nowhere!'"

David Platt visits his dad Martin in Coronation Street
    © ITV

Does Martin come back to Weatherfield itself?

"To begin with, David goes to see Martin in Liverpool. David is clearly in a predicament, but he goes back to Weatherfield. Martin knows he can't just leave it like that and follows him, so he goes back to the cobbles."

How was it to be back on the Street?

"Martin is outside the Platts' and there are shots that show how Martin is feeling about being back after all those years. He's looking at the house and thinking: 'Oh jeez'.

"The first scene we did was inside the Platt house and I like to pride myself on being very well prepared for these things. But it did feel a bit weird. I hadn't been expecting that."

You were quite unhappy when you first left Corrie 12 years ago, after refusing to film a story which would have seen Martin have a relationship with a 14-year-old girl. What's changed?

"Lots of things have changed. There was a juxtapose of editorial thoughts at the time, and I morally felt that I had to stand very, very firm on the decision that I made, so there came a parting of ways. But things move on, especially in showbusiness and maybe the people that were in charge have moved on. They've all split and gone elsewhere in showbusiness.

"When this came around, I thought the scripts were ace, which I was pleasantly surprised with because Martin's not been there for 12 years. I thought it might just take the writers a while to get to know the character again, but clearly not. There's a real positiveness about the place and there's been a real warmth from me.

"I couldn't have asked for a better way to come back, so I'm really pleased. I questioned myself before I walked into the building, but I've been really pleased with the way it's all turned around."

How does Gail react to the return of Martin?

"Martin keeps his distance, really. We do meet in The Rovers and there is a kind of brief explanation where Martin says: 'It wasn't my idea that David comes to New Zealand'. Gail says: 'No, no, I don't have to do very much to get rid of my family at the moment'. There is a little moment where Martin asks Gail if she's okay, but that's as close as it gets."

What has Martin been up to for the last 12 years?

"Of course, there's a certain amount of guess work here. His original trade was nursing, so I can only assume that 12 years have gone by and he's carried his way through the NHS. Maybe he's now a junior doctor or something on the ward."

You're back for a short stint this time, but if the opportunity arose, would you come back again for longer?

"Yeah. As time has gone by since October, which is when it was first brought to me, I had lots of thinking time. My character has so many connections. If you were to put all the characters within the show and Martin in the middle, with a line diagram, he'd have 25 different connections with people and they're all good connections in my opinion.

"There's so much depth there. Whether they act upon it is completely up to the powers that be. I'd definitely be up for it."

There was a big positive reaction to the news that Martin was coming back. Were you surprised?

"Of course I was surprised. But it's plain to me throughout the last 12 years that people are still warm towards me. Every question is: 'Would you go back? We love your character! When are you going to get back with Gail?' My partner says quite rightly: 'Every single comment is warm'. 12 years is a long time. But Martin is very well remembered and that's cool."

After being protective over your character in the past, did you seek any assurances about where Martin might go this time?

"No, I didn't feel like I needed to push for any assurances. It might be a bit untoward if I did at such an early stage, but I think editorially I made that decision in the past and maybe that might stay with me for a while. It might be respected – who knows? But I was really, really pleased with the scripts because of the three dimensions within them."

Coronation Street airs Martin's return on Thursday, March 22 at 8.30pm on ITV.

Digital Spy

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...turn-response/

Coronation Street actor Sean Wilson has stated that he is open to returning to the ITV soap as Martin Platt in the near future.

The actor played Gail Rodwell's second husband between 1985 and 2005, with a brief return in 2018. He has since successfully moved into the food industry, becoming a chef, releasing a cookbook, presenting a cookery show, and starting a cheese business that has seen products feature in supermarkets.

But he's still up for coming back to the cobbles.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, he half-jokingly said: "I made it clear that I could be turned but now it's 2023 and nothing has happened.

"The writers decided to send me to New Zealand, so maybe they're trying to tell me something. I am busy writing books, but of course I would give it some thought."

He explained that through working on Corrie, he met chefs who introduced him to the long history of cheese, which started his love affair with it and led him down the path of becoming a chef and cheesemonger.

Back in 2018, Wilson explained that he originally left the soap due to "a juxtapose of editorial thoughts at the time" but was pleasantly surprised when he made his return.

"I thought the scripts were ace, which I was pleasantly surprised with because Martin's not been there for 12 years," he said at the time. "I thought it might just take the writers a while to get to know the character again, but clearly not. There's a real positiveness about the place and there's been a real warmth from me.

"I couldn't have asked for a better way to come back, so I'm really pleased. I questioned myself before I walked into the building, but I've been really pleased with the way it's all turned around."

Could he actually return again?

I would like to see him back to support David with Max, especially as Shona is now gone for a while.

Thread Information