Thread: Shock pregnancy!

Exclamation Shock pregnancy!

Another shock pregnancy for 'EastEnders'

Friday, August 7 2009, 00:01 BST

By Kris Green, Soaps Editor

EastEnders' Zainab Masood gets the shock of her life at the end of the month when she discovers that she is pregnant.

The postmistress-turned-caterer, played by 40-year-old Nina Wadia, begins acting strangely in the weeks leading up to the surprise revelation, much to the concern of her friends and family.

However, the news stuns her husband Masood (Nitin Ganatra) to the core as he had planned a round-the-world trip for them both now that their children have become adults.

A Walford source told DS: "Zainab starts suffering from dizzy spells and even Denise is concerned that she's unsteady on her feet. It's only when she's about to faint at mosque that her son Syed's fiancée Amira presses her for the truth that she finally comes clean."

They added: "Zainab's in her mid-40s and was looking forward to spending some quality time with Masood, but the news certainly throws a spanner in the works. Their plans to see the world instantly fall apart and she faces a dilemma as to what to do."

Zainab makes the shock discovery during the final week of August.

Walford's Heather Trott - played by Cheryl Fergison - is currently at the centre of a 'Who's the Daddy?' scandal after discovering that she was pregnant earlier in the year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a1...astenders.html

Cant quite believe it, but just glad to see more of the Masoods in the coming episodes
    Last edited by Lennie; 06-08-2009 at 23:59.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lennie For This Useful Post:

lizann (07-08-2009), matt1378 (16-08-2009), tammyy2j (20-08-2009)

this could be quite good, i love the masoods.

that could be funny considering its the Massods

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    that could be funny considering its the Massods
    Can't wait to see Mas's face when he finds out
    Super Mod

I read earlier in the week a spoiler that Zainab had news for Masood. I thought it could be that she was pregnant but then thought that she would have gone/be going through the menopause. Then again, this is EastEnders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I thought it could be that she was pregnant but then thought that she would have gone/be going through the menopause. Then again, this is EastEnders.
    the woman who plays her is only 40! perfectly capable of having children, especially if she's already had three. i can understand why she would think this would throw a spanner in the works, but Zainab also totally loves her kids even though she nags them so much lol. would like to see this storyline.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

Its also nice slow progression of Zee accepting Amira in the family, seeing as she tells her the truth

From Digital Spy:

Nina Wadia (Zainab Masood, 'EastEnders')

Tuesday, August 18 2009, 06:00 BST
    By Kris Green, Soaps Editor

EastEnders character Zainab Masood - played by 40-year-old comedienne Nina Wadia - is forced to deal with the news that she's 15 weeks pregnant at the end of the month in a shock Walford storyline twist. With her children having left home (Shabnam), preparing for marriage (Syed) or about to leave for university (Tamar), Zainab and husband Masood (Nitin Ganatra) were hoping to spend some quality time together travelling the world. However, the news naturally throws a spanner in the works as they're forced to come to terms with the fact that they're about to become parents for the fourth time. How does Zainab cope with the news? And what shocking decision does she make shortly after finding out? We gave Nina a call to find out more.

What was your reaction when you heard about your latest story twist?
    "The truth? I practically burst into tears! From a purely aesthetic point of view, the thought of having to come in early to put on foam and then sweat while filming… I get very hot on set and we have to pretend that it's winter before it is, so we have to wear extra clothing. Just the thought of it made me cry! Because I'm quite a new mum in real life, to have to have kids at work as well also made me tear up!"

What happens during the episode where Zainab finds out?
    "The Masoods go to a mosque, which I think is really huge for EastEnders. I don't think they've ever done scenes like that before - and it's going to look stunning. Zainab's been having fainting spells recently, but they don't show the actual moment that she finds out that she's pregnant. What they do show is the moment she tells Masood. I actually think it's quite funny the way it happens. It's very deadpan and catches Masood on the hoof. I love working with Nitin, so it just worked so well."

How long has she known that she was pregnant by this point?
    "I think she's known for about two weeks, so not that long. Zainab's been very careful about what she tells everyone because she wanted to make a decision in her own head first, maybe even about what to do."

How does Masood react?
    "He reacts quite strongly, but it's not the fact they can't go off on holiday together that upsets him. It's a bigger issue because he's confused by Zainab's reaction to the news. To him, there's no question about what will happen with the child - they'll compromise and have the baby and start again. He's then puzzled by Zainab's unhappy attitude about it."

Why is Zainab terrified?
    "Well, it comes down to her age. I actually have a lot of friends around this age who have found themselves in this situation. It's a huge deal. It's not as if you're in your 20s having just got married and you actually want a child. It's more, 'I've been there, done that and I'm tired'. Zainab's quite a feisty woman and she wants to do a lot more than be a mother. She loves the fact she has a business to run and has a career. It's a terrifying prospect for her to have another child because it just throws all of her plans."

There's a touching scene between Jane and Zainab, too…
    "Yeah, Zainab's just been to see Dr Al and found out that she's 15 weeks pregnant. I loved doing that scene with Laurie [Brett]. We came away from that scene and gave each other a hug. It's a real rare moment in that just by being women, they're close. That happens in real life, too - you may not be the best of friends with someone, but if you're going through a particularly emotional moment and there's another woman in the room with you, they're automatically empathic. It's quite hard for Laurie because she has to play the fact that she can't have children, so she has that added layer. I love Jane - I think that character's fantastic."

Then Zainab makes a shocking decision…
    "She decides that she doesn't want the baby. I think Zainab's always had a level of anger in her because life's not gone the way she'd planned or hoped. So on top of the fact that she's struggling with the dilemma, she hates that Masood's okay with it - Zainab feels like the decision's been taken out of her hands. On top of that, she's been brought up within the Islamic faith where abortion's forbidden. There are several things going on in Zainab's mind and she decides that it's something that she can't do. The whole week ends with Zainab telling Masood that she doesn't want the baby. I didn't get the next lot of scripts until a week later, so I was sat there wondering what was going to happen!"

What are her options?
    "She feels trapped. Zainab even says in one of the scenes that it's not like she has a choice in the matter. Whether she likes it or not, she knows that she will have this baby. At this point, though, she's questioning whether she should go against her faith and abort. That's a huge thing for her. Within the Masood family, she's possibly the most traditional. She's the more devout Muslim, even though she was married when she was younger to another man before falling in love with Masood.

"That's the great thing about Zainab, though - she's very conflicted. Being in this country at the age she's at, she has her traditional values but she fights terribly to be modern and to fit into Western society. Look at the way she dresses for a start. She only wears the traditional clothes when it's to her advantage, like if she has to meet the imam. So she does play the game, but deep down, Zainab's someone who'll come across as traditional but inside, she's a free spirit. That's what makes her so angry and conflicted, because she's constantly fighting herself."

Could you see Zainab as a new mum again?
    "I can see her as a useless new mother! She'll come out with these traditional remedies for colic or something! I have a feeling she'll be a very funny mother."

Will she actually have the baby, then?
    "Put it this way, I'm sat talking to you with a rather large bump on my stomach, so I presume I am! This will be the first time that I'll be playing a mother having been a mother. All the labour scenes - I'll be able to do them having had experience!"

Good story. I think the actors can pull it of.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dutchgirl For This Useful Post:

crystalsea (20-08-2009), Lennie (20-08-2009), tammyy2j (20-08-2009)

I hope she keeps the baby

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I hope she keeps the baby
    Me too and comes around to the idea

Thread Information