Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson)

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    Did the doctors ask Jim to tell his sons? Will he be released from prison on medical grounds? I expect not. Anyway another stupid storyline and I expect more over this next 9 months.
    People can be carriers but not have it themselves and not necessary that their children will have it either. I am no expert but we have a life threatening illness in the family and it's only affected one person. We did not know we had it until that point.
    Actually myotonic dystrophy is a dominant inherited disorder which means if one parent has it then there is a 50% chance that a child will inherit it. If it turns out Steve hasn't inherited it there's no chance that any of he's children will. For Jim to have inherited it one of Jim's parents must have had it. You can only be a carrier of a particular allele (variation of a gene, my lecturers wouldn't be very happy if I used the wrong term 😛) if it is recessive, which this disease is not.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KiwiMonkey For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-09-2016), moonstorm (16-09-2016), parkerman (16-09-2016)

Thanks for explaining so well

Life is about to get a whole lot worse - and a whole lot more complicated - for Coronation Street's Steve McDonald next week as he receives some worrying news about his health.

When Steve's dad Jim gets in touch unexpectedly, it's to reveal that he's just been diagnosed with the genetic condition Myotonic Distrophy - which could have implications for Steve, his daughter Amy and the baby he's now expecting with Michelle.

And let's not forget the baby that he's secretly conceived with Leanne Battersby too...

Here, Simon Gregson - who plays Steve - reveals how this situation quickly spirals out of control for his put-upon character.

How is Steve coping with his big baby secret now?

"It's typical Steve - he's burying his head in the sand and hoping it will all go away. He had this one night stand with Leanne when he thought it was all over with Michelle. Then when Leanne came back and said she was pregnant he couldn't believe it.

"Steve is just hoping it will never come out and praying his life can be normal for once."

How does Steve first find out that he could potentially have Myotonic Dystrophy?

"Steve gets a call from Jim, who tells him he's found out he has this condition so Steve needs to get tested. If Steve has it, then the chances are Amy will do too and his baby, but as usual Steve reacts oddly and doesn't want to know.

"I think he's just hiding from it. He needs to know if he has this condition but he chooses not to. He doesn't want to have the test, as I think he's frightened of what they might tell him."

Why does Steve only tell Michelle about it on the day of their baby scan?

"They're so overwhelmed that they're having a baby. When it comes to the day of the scan and Steve sees the pictures of the baby and how formed it is already, he gets really emotional. That's when it hits home that this little baby he's just seen could have this disease, so he opens up to Michelle then."

Does Steve want to keep it secret from Leanne and Nick?

"Yeah, I think he's biding his time until he tells Leanne. He wants to get his own head around it first, and then when he has, he'll go and tell Leanne and Nick. But unfortunately that gets done for him and he gets in a right mess again."

What happens when he's summoned to Leanne and Nick's flat?

"They want him to take the test, but I think the fact that they know without him having decided to tell them - and the fact he's been summoned there so they can tell him what to do - causes Steve to just lose it.

"He's been under so much pressure - with Leanne being pregnant with his child and then finding out about this disease. He's just a guy that's going to snap at any moment and he does snap."

Does Michelle put pressure on Steve to have the test?

"Michelle does, but she's not putting too much pressure on Steve. She's making all the right noises and what she is saying is making sense. Michelle's playing the softly, softly game. She knows that if she goes in all guns blazing, he's going to shut down and not go for the test."

What is Leanne's plan to make sure he has the test?

"Leanne's plan is to ensure Tracy finds out, because she knows she'll go in all guns blazing and try and force Steve to have the test because she'll want to know about Amy's chances. It just heaps even more pressure on Steve."

Would Steve's marriage be over if Leanne lost patience and told Michelle everything?

"Yes, without any doubt. Maybe if he hadn't run off with Becky behind Michelle's back, then he might have had that one strike to get away with it. But the fact that he's done it to her before, and the humiliation that would come with everyone knowing it's Leanne, means I don't think there'd be any coming back.

"It wasn't an affair. They were on a break so he should have been honest from the outset, but this is Steve and now he's in way too deep."

Could this be Steve's predicament for the rest of his life- constantly being at the mercy of Leanne and Nick?

"Yes, Nick's pretty much got Steve over a barrel. Unless they move away, this is it for Steve."

Digital Spy

steve needs to grow up stop being a big baby and do the test

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (11-10-2016), Perdita (11-10-2016), tammyy2j (11-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    Many people do decide not to have genetic testing done as some people would rather not know, and usually I would say that it is up to person to make that decision themselves, it's not black and white to everyone. The main problem I have here is that he knows that there are 3 children that could possibly inherit it and therefore it isn't just about him. This is why they have genetic counselling to help people make the decision that's right for them and talk them through the result if they decide to have the test done. Of course it is possible for the children to have the test if Steve is was really that adamant that he doesn't want it done, I'm not sure when they could test his unborn children but Amy certainly could have the test done straight away. Even though I must say I feel the only reason that Steve said he wasn't going to was because Leanne and Nick were trying to get him to have it done and it was almost to say to them that they couldn't make him do it, which is rather childish.
    Last edited by KiwiMonkey; 11-10-2016 at 13:27.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiMonkey For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (11-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    Many people do decide not to have genetic testing done as some people would rather not know, and usually I would say that it is up to person to make that decision themselves, it's not black and white to everyone. The main problem I have here is that he knows that there are 3 children that could possibly inherit it and therefore it isn't just about him. This is why they have genetic counselling to help people make the decision that's right for them. Of course it is possible for the children to have the test if Steve is was really that adamant that he doesn't want it done, I'm not sure when they could test his unborn children but Amy certainly could have the test done straight away. Even though I must say I feel the only reason that Steve said he wasn't going to was because Leanne and Nick were trying to get him to have it done and it was almost to say to them that they couldn't make him do it, which is rather childish.

unburdening himself to peter oh that will end well

He should have done a pre nup the amount of times he has been married/divorced.

Did he get the pub before he married midhelle or after. Why is she entitled to half i do not get these laws that you can have half after being married for 2 minutes.

Did he get the pub before he married midhelle or after. Why is she entitled to half i do not get these laws that you can have half after being married for 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post

He had the pub before they married .. he gave her 25% share before they wed too ..a friend of mine is divorcing her husband who is claiming half the house which is in her name only and they were married for around 9 years ... seems he is entitled to claim it .. whether he will be successful is another matter

Thread Information