Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson)

Steve McDonald

Why is he pulling those stupid faces, he looks a right pratt. Is Simon Gregson trying to emulate John Savidents character of Fred Elliott. He should give it up.

Cool Simon Gregson - Steve McDonald Interview

Coronation Street’s Steve McDonald may be grappling with family problems. But Simon Gregson, the actor who plays him, loves his happy domestic life at home near Wilmslow

You couldn’t ask for a warmer welcome from the Gregson family. Three-year-old Alfie comes bounding toward the door, laughing and joking with two-year-old brother Harry. With their faces pressed up against the glass they flash grins wider than the River Dee and peer through the letterbox. When dad Simon, the actor who plays Coronation Street’s Steve McDonald, opens the door they burst into fits of giggles and chase each other around the entrance hall before dashing to mum, Emma.This idyllic picture is a far cry from Simon’s screen persona – regular viewers will know about his constant troubles with onscreen partner Becky. But it is this happy home life that the 36-year-old thrives on.In fact some might expect the couple to be living a lavish celebrity lifestyle, filled with endless glitzy balls and bashes, fine dining and fast cars. There are a few of the latter in the driveway, including Simon’s prized Jaguar, but the majority are old cars that he likes to tinker with.Simon and Emma, who married last November at St Bartholomew’s Church in Wilmslow, are not bothered about a celebrity lifestyle. They are much happier playing in the back garden with Alfie and Harry, throwing parties at home and spending time with friends at a local social club, although Simon admitted, this has got him into a few sticky situations.‘I get involved with the local tractor drives, well, Emma encouraged me to get involved in it,’ said Simon, as he catches Alfie full flight who has just taken a running leap towards him. ‘She duped me and said this particular one was only two and a half miles long when it was more like 30 miles. We were in it for eight hours. I think she used all of this free time to go shopping. ‘It’s a great village to be in and we’ve already had many happy times here. We often have people back here for parties after we’ve been to the club. The whole road is one big pub really because we all go to each other’s houses. Simon and Emma, who met through mutual friend Beverley Callard who played Liz McDonald in the soap, moved to Morley Green in 2007. They had been living in an old cottage in nearby Wilmslow that was once in the grounds of a manor house. It was love at first sight for both of them. Since they got the keys they have done extensive redecoration and some structural work, including making an open plan lounge and dining room into two separate rooms. They have also put in wooden flooring throughout the house, installed new bathrooms and they are currently hard at work converting one area into a party room. It is a former barn and Simon has scoured reclamation yards around Cheshire to find old ship timbers to help restore this part of the house. Emma, 28, said: ‘We walked through the door and fell in love with it. People always say you walk in and you know. We just had that gut feeling. There are big fields at the back of the house that the boys can play on and it just feels so peaceful. ‘The house was lovely before but now we’ve started to redecorate in our own style it is feeling more like our home. We’re having fun doing it too and we’re really excited about having the party room. We know how to throw a good party and it will be fantastic having everyone over once it’s finished.’Simon, who used to play with a band called Johnny Mac and the Muppets, grew up in Heald Green. He joined the Coronation Street cast when he was just 15 and is now one of the longest serving members of the cast. But he had never intended to become an actor.He said: ‘I wanted to be in the RAF and I wanted to race cars. I had dreams of being a Formula 1 driver. I used to race cars on track days and absolutely loved it. But then Coronation Street were asking for two sons to be in the show.‘I went along and got the part. It’s unbelievable. I thought I’d be there for two or three years and it would give me enough money for my first car. When I was that age that’s all I cared about. It worked and I got a Suzuki Jeep. I’ve been there 22 years now. When I reached 20 years I was given a DVD of my old footage on it. What a terrifying experience that was! I didn’t like it.’Simon’s fame has come at a cost – in his late teenage years going out became difficult as he endured relentless teasing and abuse from members of the public – and even now he has to endure intrusion into his privacy. On a recent holiday he was videoed playing in the pool with his sons. But, despite this, he couldn’t think of anywhere better to work than Corrie.He said: ‘I’m very lucky and it’s been an incredible time. I’ve worked with a lot of brilliant people and it’s a massive part of my life.‘As much as I love it, I prefer being at home, spending time with friends and family and enjoying every minute of it.’As we leave the Gregson household, and Alfie and Harry wave us off with the same vigour as they welcomed us, it is easy to see why Simon and Emma love their home life so much.

You couldn’t ask for a warmer welcome from the Gregson family. Three-year-old Alfie comes bounding toward the door, laughing and joking with two-year-old brother Harry. With their faces pressed up against the glass they flash grins wider than the River Dee and peer through the letterbox.

When dad Simon, the actor who plays Coronation Street’s Steve McDonald, opens the door they burst into fits of giggles and chase each other around the entrance hall before dashing to mum, Emma.

This idyllic picture is a far cry from Simon’s screen persona – regular viewers will know about his constant troubles with onscreen partner Becky. But it is this happy home life that the 36-year-old thrives on.

In fact some might expect the couple to be living a lavish celebrity lifestyle, filled with endless glitzy balls and bashes, fine dining and fast cars. There are a few of the latter in the driveway, including Simon’s prized Jaguar, but the majority are old cars that he likes to tinker with.

Simon and Emma, who married last November at St Bartholomew’s Church in Wilmslow, are not bothered about a celebrity lifestyle. They are much happier playing in the back garden with Alfie and Harry, throwing parties at home and spending time with friends at a local social club, although Simon admitted, this has got him into a few sticky situations.

‘I get involved with the local tractor drives, well, Emma encouraged me to get involved in it,’ said Simon, as he catches Alfie full flight who has just taken a running leap towards him. ‘She duped me and said this particular one was only two and a half miles long when it was more like 30 miles. We were in it for eight hours. I think she used all of this free time to go shopping.

‘It’s a great village to be in and we’ve already had many happy times here. We often have people back here for parties after we’ve been to the club. The whole road is one big pub really because we all go to each other’s houses.

Simon and Emma, who met through mutual friend Beverley Callard who played Liz McDonald in the soap, moved to Morley Green in 2007. They had been living in an old cottage in nearby Wilmslow that was once in the grounds of a manor house. It was love at first sight for both of them.

Since they got the keys they have done extensive redecoration and some structural work, including making an open plan lounge and dining room into two separate rooms. They have also put in wooden flooring throughout the house, installed new bathrooms and they are currently hard at work converting one area into a party room. It is a former barn and Simon has scoured reclamation yards around Cheshire to find old ship timbers to help restore this part of the house.

Emma, 28, said: ‘We walked through the door and fell in love with it. People always say you walk in and you know. We just had that gut feeling. There are big fields at the back of the house that the boys can play on and it just feels so peaceful.

‘The house was lovely before but now we’ve started to redecorate in our own style it is feeling more like our home. We’re having fun doing it too and we’re really excited about having the party room. We know how to throw a good party and it will be fantastic having everyone over once it’s finished.’

Simon, who used to play with a band called Johnny Mac and the Muppets, grew up in Heald Green. He joined the Coronation Street cast when he was just 15 and is now one of the longest serving members of the cast. But he had never intended to become an actor.

He said: ‘I wanted to be in the RAF and I wanted to race cars. I had dreams of being a Formula 1 driver. I used to race cars on track days and absolutely loved it. But then Coronation Street were asking for two sons to be in the show.‘

I went along and got the part. It’s unbelievable. I thought I’d be there for two or three years and it would give me enough money for my first car. When I was that age that’s all I cared about. It worked and I got a Suzuki Jeep. I’ve been there 22 years now. When I reached 20 years I was given a DVD of my old footage on it. What a terrifying experience that was! I didn’t like it.’

Simon’s fame has come at a cost – in his late teenage years going out became difficult as he endured relentless teasing and abuse from members of the public – and even now he has to endure intrusion into his privacy. On a recent holiday he was videoed playing in the pool with his sons. But, despite this, he couldn’t think of anywhere better to work than Corrie.

He said: ‘I’m very lucky and it’s been an incredible time. I’ve worked with a lot of brilliant people and it’s a massive part of my life.‘As much as I love it, I prefer being at home, spending time with friends and family and enjoying every minute of it.’

As we leave the Gregson household, and Alfie and Harry wave us off with the same vigour as they welcomed us, it is easy to see why Simon and Emma love their home life so much.

I have found my old post to save saying it again, but I will.
    He is the worst actor in Corrie, it is like he is acting. Everyone else seems to be their normal selves.
    He pulls stupid faces, sometimes looks as if he not a full shilling and talks in funny voices. Look at him sometimes, he puts on a "not at home " look.
    Steve MacDonald is not an idiot, he has run his own business's, he was shrewd and crafty when he was younger, now he acts like he is a fool.
    I still think he is trying to copy Freds campness.
    Someone should have a word with him.
    Last edited by Snagglepus; 06-08-2012 at 20:20.

Steve buys the Rovers Return as a surprise romantic gesture for Michelle, Simon Gregson has revealed.

Simon, who plays Steve, said: "Steve is well aware of everything that is happening at Michelle's work with Peter and he knows how unhappy she is."

"Michelle says something to him about how she liked being in charge, so Steve thinks: ‘well why don’t we buy the Rovers and I will make her the boss and she will be dead happy!’"

"Steve remembers the Rovers as happy times and has conveniently brushed the affair with Becky under the carpet..."

Despite Stella's warnings, Steve goes ahead with buying the pub without telling Michelle.

"Stella doesn’t think it is a great idea. She knows that this is not something he should do as a secret. She tries to warn him but he doesn’t want to listen. He just thinks Michelle would love it," said Simon.

"He thinks he is being romantic, that it is better than buying her a diamond ring."

However, Steve has failed to consider that Michelle might have some reservations about being landlady of the Rovers.

"In his mind he remembers the Rovers as happy times. He has conveniently brushed the affair with Becky under the carpet, and also when he kissed a man he thought was a woman. Steve has ‘forgotten’ all that, but it is obviously paramount in Michelle’s mind."

"Running the Rovers might not be the top of her list of priorities," Simon added.

"On face value Steve is buying the pub for her but there is no doubt that he likes the idea of standing behind the bar and being at the centre of the community."

"Steve hasn’t really thought about the work aspect of it. He likes to hide away in his little cab office and do as little as possible."

"Not only has he bought the Rovers secretly, he has enlisted his mum’s help and kept that a secret too...."

And the revelations keep on coming for Michelle, as Steve fails to tell her who his 'silent' partner is.

"Well not only has he bought the Rovers secretly, he has enlisted his mum’s help and kept that a secret too. Steve and Michelle are the licensees and he thinks Liz will be a silent partner... but then she arrives in Weatherfield!!

Coronation Street star Simon Gregson has said that viewers will see a different side to his character Steve McDonald in the future.

The actor, who has appeared on the show for 25 years, won the Best Comedy Performance prize at the British Soap Awards last month for his portrayal of Steve.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, Gregson admitted that there could be a change of direction for Steve in upcoming storylines.

He said: "It was great to win the comedy award because that's all I ever wanted from back when I was a kid - to make people laugh.

"It's great people see Steve in that way, although I'm delighted that Corrie are going to mix a bit of drama in and give Steve another side.

"It can be a bit Carry on Corrie sometimes with Steve and he basically is Homer Simpson, so it will be good to pull it back a bit and show something different too."

Gregson is currently organising a summer charity ball, which has a superhero and cartoon character theme. The event will follow on from his successful 1950s-themed ball last year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-06-2014)

About time.
    I think all the actors play believable characters except for Simon Gregson/Steve MacDonald.
    I have never come across anyone like him unless they were the uneducated village idiot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagglepus For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Coronation Street star Simon Gregson has said that viewers will see a different side to his character Steve McDonald in the future.
    I love Steve McDonald but his character has become a total joke, which is a shame as he was so good as a villain in his youth. I'm looking forward to seeing Simon Gregson in more dramatic scenes as I think he's excellent when he's playing it straight.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 06-06-2014 at 13:38.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (06-06-2014), Snagglepus (06-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I love Steve McDonald but his character has become a total joke, which is a shame as he was so good as a villain in his youth. I'm looking forward to seeing Simon Gregson in more dramatic scenes as I think he's excellent when he's playing it straight.
    I agree, I really like him but he does seem to be getting a lot of non stories.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (07-06-2014), Snagglepus (06-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I agree, I really like him but he does seem to be getting a lot of non stories.
    Maybe now that Les Dennis is going to be appearing he will play the idiot leaving Steve to go unoticably back to his former self.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagglepus For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (07-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Snagglepus View Post
    Maybe now that Les Dennis is going to be appearing he will play the idiot leaving Steve to go unoticably back to his former self.
    I love that idea!

Thread Information