Thread: Fungal infection of external ear

Fungal infection of external ear

The doc diagnosed a fungal infection on my external ears and has prescribed an ointment which I have applied. I immediately got a reaction, my mouth feels sore, I feel a bit sick and the ears feel hot but are not red. Should I continue with the treatment in the hope my body gets used to the medication or should I go back to the doctor? I don't want to be a pain when he is busy with really ill people.

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    I'd speak to the doctor immediately Perdy - it could be an allergic reaction and there is bound to be alternatives to the treatment he has given you - even if you ring your surgery and ask them that way. Because he's already seen you, he should issue another prescription without seeing you again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:

Perdita (20-07-2009)

I did phone the medical centre as I have to drive a car quite frequently and want to be fit to do so and I spoke to the doctor who wanted to see me again. He has given me a different cream but is not convinced that it is the first prescription that is making me feel so bad. The symptoms started within a minute though of me applying the cream so it has to be that. I thoroughly washed my hands immediately after using the cream and did not have anything to eat, just a cup of coffee.

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    It sounds like its the cream to me - lets face it, if we, or our children, took an antibiotic and had an immediate reaction to it, like you've had to the cream, then it would require immedate change of the medication because of a possible allergy to it.

I'm surprised he wanted to see you again so soon - my GP surgery is great - I feel so lucky to have a surgery that apologises if they can't fit you in for a same day appointment, and are so easy to approach, very understanding etc.

Hope the new cream doesn't have the same effect for you and that you get well soon x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:

Perdita (20-07-2009)

I think he cut his lunch hour short and saw me before he started afternoon surgery. He is a treasure and I am always glad when I get to see him because we don't always have the choice of doctors. I am starting to feel a bit better already, my mouth is not so sore and I don't feel sick anymore. Must have been the cream. I am a bit nervous using the new one now tonight

In the UK (not sure about Germany), you can speak to a pharmacist if you can't see a doctor for lots of minor problems and also about drug side effects.

You can here too but the receptionist got the doctor to call me when he came back from his lunch break and he managed to see me straight away. I am sure the pharmacist would not have been able to give me a different cream without a prescription anyway.

hope the new cream was better

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I am sure the pharmacist would not have been able to give me a different cream without a prescription anyway.
    it would depend whether the cream needs a prescription cos quite a lot of different medication you can buy without having a prescription
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

The new cream is fine, no problems

Thread Information