Thread: EXCLUSIVE: 'EastEnders' films Michael Jackson reference

EXCLUSIVE: 'EastEnders' films Michael Jackson reference

BBC soap EastEnders has filmed a last-minute scene to be edited into tonight's episode referencing Michael Jackson's death, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

A scene towards the beginning of the episode will see Denise Wicks (Diane Parish) wish her surrogate father Patrick Trueman (Rudolph Walker) a happy birthday, before mentioning the sad news of Jackson's passing.

The show will also contain a track from the King Of Pop playing in the background of a scene elsewhere in the episode.

EastEnders' executive producer Diederick Santer said: "There are some news stories and events which get everyone talking, and this is one of them. Given the quick turnaround, it's only a small scene, but I hope it reflects to some extent the impact Michael Jackson's death has had."

Over the years, EastEnders has filmed several last-minute topical scenes and edited them into episodes on the day of transmission.

The last occasion saw Jean Slater (Gillian Wright) reference Barack Obama's election as America's first black President to daughter Stacey (Lacey Turner).

In addition, a number of football references have also been added, with Minty Peterson (Cliff Parisi) and Garry Hobbs (Ricky Groves) citing West Ham victories and the World Cup.

A spokesperson for the show confirmed: "We will be making a reference in tonight's episode to Michael Jackson's death. We always aim to reflect topical events that we think will strike a chord with our audience and have previously filmed additional scenes including the election of Barack Obama and England's participation in the World Cup."

The three other major UK soaps - Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks - all confirmed to DS that no last-minute editing will be made to tonight's episodes.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alvinsduckie (02-07-2009), angel_eyes87 (26-06-2009), megan999 (26-06-2009)

I like that they've done this
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

me too, Its only small, but I like it when they can make just a small tribute its just a nice thing to do and show some respect really

As much as I agree that programmes paying a tribute to Michael let's not forget that Farrah Fawcett also died the same day and her death has been brushed aside. Surely they could have mentioned her death as well I'm sure that Phil and Minty likes most men had a pin-up of Farrah when she was one of Charlie's Angels.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

Bryan (26-06-2009), Dutchgirl (29-06-2009), Jojo (27-06-2009), JustJodi (27-06-2009)

i like how they add extra scenes in when something topical has happened that everyone is talking about, it makes it more realistic
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

I liked it when they payed tribute to the Queen Mum. I remember Pauline and Dot. They have to go through real trouble to make it fit into the storyline and getting actors to take such prompt action.

I know when you think about it, it is a lot of effort and really is very nice of them

I was looking for a different word other than nice but couldnt think of the word I wanted to use

Thread Information