Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Masood Family Appreciation Thread **May contain spoilers**

EastEnders star Nina Wadia has admitted that she is keen to see more humourous scenes for the Masood family.

The actress's character Zainab endured dark times on Albert Square last year as her abusive relationship with Yusef Khan (Ace Bhatti) left her a broken woman.

Wadia, reflecting on the storyline, told This Morning today (April 23): "It wasn't pleasant. I did a bit of research talking to a lot of women who'd been through quite abusive relationships. Their stories alone upset me, and then to actually play it - Ace is quite realistic in his portrayal of things, so I took away quite a few real bruises!"

Asked whether she is hoping things will look up for Zainab, she replied: "I don't think she can get any worse! Yes, I am - I miss all of the Masood humour. I'm so glad that Christian and Zainab have sorted their problems out - I'm getting less abuse on the street because of that!

"And I love working with Di [Parish] with the Denise-Zainab relationship. I look forward to when scenes with those two are written in - she's just a gem to work with."

Wadia is in the running for the 'Best Actress' prize at this year's British Soap Awards, which take place in London on Saturday (April 28).

EastEnders actress Nina Wadia has said that she finds her role in the show therapeutic.

Wadia, who plays the often-confrontational Zainab Khan, told MSN that her part enables her to avoid real-life confrontation.

"It's great because I don't take things out on my real husband, I take it out on the fake husbands instead," Wadia said.

"It's quite therapeutic, as far as I'm concerned."

She went on to suggest that her character needs to move on from the trauma of her recent past, and her abusive relationship with Yusef Khan (Ace Bhatti).

"I think she needs to move on and be happy again, that would be a bit of fun, but who knows what the year holds."

Wadia recently expressed a hope that Zainab's storyline would "lighten up" in forthcoming episodes, admitting that she had broken down over one recent scene.

EastEnders' Masood Ahmed pulls off a romantic surprise next week as he asks a stunned Zainab to marry him again.

Masood (Nitin Ganatra) pops the question during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations at the Queen Vic, declaring his love for his ex-wife in front of the locals.

Just prior to the proposal, Zainab (Nina Wadia) has been busy trying to save The Vic's attempts to mark the royal occasion, teaming up with Cora Cross to help decorate the pub and source food and drink after troubled Jean Slater's attempts fail to impress.

© BBC

Although she is pleased when her last-minute efforts come up trumps, Zainab is also concerned by Masood's strange behaviour as she has spotted him going into a mysterious lady's house.

Zainab fears that Masood could have a new love interest and soon confronts him about what's going on. Masood explains that he has been continuing his tutor lessons as he really enjoys doing them, but Zainab remains sceptical, questioning where all of the extra money is in that case.

All becomes clear, however, when Masood pulls out a ring and asks a shocked Zainab to marry him. Is this their chance to move on from their ordeal with Yusef once and for all?

© BBC

EastEnders airs these scenes on Tuesday, June 5 at 7.30pm on BBC One.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-05-2012), Glen1 (01-06-2012)

EastEnders fans will see Masood Ahmed's brother AJ arrive in Walford later this year.

Paul Sharma has been cast in the role of AJ, who hopes to reconnect with Masood as he turns up on Albert Square.

© BBC

Paul Sharma

Billed as a "cheeky chancer" who lives his life by the toss of a coin, AJ is a mechanic who never misses an opportunity for excitement.

Within minutes of AJ making his EastEnders debut, he manages to get himself and Masood into trouble. However, as they relive their childhood antics, it's not long before Masood begins to wonder if his younger brother is running away from something.

Although some will see AJ as a bad influence, he also shows a more serious side as he is desperate to build bridges with his family. In order to do so, he realises that he'll have to tip-toe around an unimpressed Zainab (Nina Wadia).

An EastEnders statement teased: "Using his trusty coin to make his decisions for him, AJ is the polar opposite to his control freak sister-in-law. Sparks will fly in the Masood household as the battle lines are drawn."

Sharma's previous screen credits include roles in Casualty and Doctors. He also previously worked with Nitin Ganatra on Meet the Magoons.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-06-2012), Glen1 (01-06-2012)

Thread Information