Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thrush

I think she has been to the beach lol

I think I need to dig this thread up again...

Was just wondering what Thrush actually is.. and what can cause it?
    I've been getting the symptoms Abigail had and I'm losing sleep over it.. I cannot get confortable and I also feel reallly self consciouss (sp?) about it too.

Vaginal thrush, also called yeast infection or candidiasis, is an overgrowth of yeast that leads to a range of unpleasant symptoms, such as itching and soreness around the vagina. Most women will have thrush at least once during their lives, and many will have more than one episode. But for some women, thrush keeps coming back. Recurrent thrush can affect a woman’s sex life and self-image, and may be a sign of a more serious health problem. Even if you only have thrush once, it can be extremely uncomfortable. And, if you don’t know what is happening or why, it can also be very stressful. This online leaflet explains what thrush is, what causes it, how to treat it and what you can do to help prevent it in the future.
    Thrush is caused by yeast, already present in the body, which grows out of control. This yeast is almost always Candida albicans, but another, more resistant yeast, Candida glabrata, can also lead to thrush.
    Many women, (as well as men and children) carry yeast in and on their bodies without any problems. Yeast usually lives in the intestines, vagina, mouth and skin, where ‘friendly’ bacteria help keep yeast levels low. When this balance is disrupted, however, and the yeast is allowed to grow unchecked, it causes havoc in the body.
    The vagina is one of the areas most likely to be affected by thrush. Although the vagina is generally too acidic for yeast to grow out of control, it is sensitive to small changes and can easily become an ideal environment for yeast to flourish. Too much yeast irritates the vaginal tissues and this leads to the typical symptoms of thrush.

Aloe Vera Gel or Melaleuca Oil can help

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Kirsty :] (15-08-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty :] View Post

Was just wondering what Thrush actually is.. and what can cause it?
    I've been getting the symptoms Abigail had and I'm losing sleep over it.. I cannot get confortable and I also feel reallly self consciouss (sp?) about it too.

Itching and burning
    These are the most common symptoms of thrush and often the most distressing. Burning and itching can be so intense it is difficult to resist scratching, but scratching will only make the problem worse.

Soreness, swelling and pain
    Thrush irritates the delicate tissue of the vagina and genital area, making it sore, swollen and red. As a result, it may be painful to urinate (urine will sting the inflamed tissue). It may also be painful to have sex. In some cases, anything that touches or rubs the area, including sitting and walking, can be painful.

Discharge
    Discharge caused by thrush is usually (but not always) white and thicker than a woman’s regular discharge. The ‘typical’ discharge linked to thrush is yoghurt-like in appearance and smells strongly of yeast. Some women, however, have a watery or mild-smelling discharge. The amount can also vary from a little to a lot.

Causes and risk factors http://www.womenshealthlondon.org.uk...rushrisks.html

I'm having mild infections after my period every month. Not sure if its related. Its nowhere near as bad as the first time though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Kirsty :] (15-08-2009)

Thankyou for the info

Funny you should say that, because I came on today. I kind of gathered this is what I ahve, so I bought that Vagisil stiuff..a nd I'm taking Cystopurin? ]

Anywayss, I'm now even mopre uncomfortable because of these damn sanitary towels, but was wondering if maybe tampons would be better? Sorry for the graphic details.. I jsut don't know what to do and want it gone as quick as possible!

Cystopurin is for cystitis, an infection in the bladder, so won't do anything for thrush.

I used clotrimazole cream on the outside and natural yoghurt inside. I cannot describe the relief the yoghurt brought. Put it in the fridge so its really cold before you use it.

I wouldn't know about towels and tampons as I use a moon cup and have for over a year.

I told my Nan Cystopurin wouldn't work!

Do you eat the yoghurt? I looked for live yopghurt earlier but couldn't find any.

Oohhh right ok no worries on that one then lol, I've bought both, so I'll give both a try and see if one is more bearable than the other.

Put the yoghurt on a tampon. Fiddly but brings lots of relief.

It needs to be live yohgurt with bacteria in it. Its usually with the big pots of yoghurt like Onken and the organic stuff.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Kirsty :] (16-08-2009)

I have a doctors appointment in a bit. I hope they can give me somethign for it. It's getting me down big time now. I'm nervous though :/

Did you go to the doctors Kirsty?

I have it again. Not sure if this is significant or an indicator of anything, but I've had thrush every month since June. Nothing as bad as the first time but it's still not nice.

I've switched to cotton underwear, wear loose fitting trousers when I'm at home (i.e. not jeans) and make sure I dry thoroughly but I'm still getting thrush

Do I need to tell my friend to wash his bath towels that I used over the weekend? Can it be transferred through sharing towels? I know we should have had separate ones but he's just moved house and hasn't unpacked properly.

Thread Information