Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetes

Diabetes

Has any one got any experiance with Diabities or living with someone who has it? My boyfriend has it and controls it with diet and excersise rather than injecting insulin.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jade
    Has any one got any experiance with Diabities or living with someone who has it? My boyfriend has it and controls it with diet and excersise rather than injecting insulin.

Cheers!
    My hubby was diabetic for 15 years, his was brought on by shock.If your boyfriend is only controlling it by diet,then he is lucky that it is not to bad,unfortunately,those that get it early in life do go on to having to inject lather in life. As long as he eats little and often,and watches the amounts of sugar he has,then he should be ok, All alcohal should be in small amounts,and low sugar,as alcohal effects diabetic kidneys badly,he should also take good care of his feet, as sugar gets stored in there feet and they can have major problems if the cut there feet and any problems on the feet eg,a small corn etc,must not be treated at home. Before any exercise he should have a small snack, to stop him going low sugar, you havent said if he checks his blood levels, normal levels, are around 4, must diabetics are around 7 but if they dont eat then they can go as low as 1 and then they can go into a coma(know as a hyper).or if like my hubby,he loved cheese and would eat too much,and his levels would go up to 17 or 24 which is life treatening.Its a balance of what food and the amount of carbohydrates,the diabetic clinic will advise on what he should have,
    The hardest part of living with a diabetic is knowing the signs or low, sugar or high sugar, most dibetics get to learn the warning signs themself.When my hubby was going low sugar he looked all spaced out and tired, and when high, he was very talkative and his breeathe smelt of nail varnish remover. each diabetic is differant though. If you need any more advise PM me.
    Last edited by hazey; 22-07-2006 at 17:09.

My nan and grandad both have diabeties. My grandad isn't as bad, he just has to monitor his through like diet and stuff, but my nan is an insuline diabetic. She has to take her injection before each meal. And her sister has it and she has been having to take injections since she was 9.

My family has a history of diabetes..

My mum's mum found out she got diabetes like 2 years ago.. My dad's dad dies from diabetes and other ilnesses about 5-6 years ago.. Other members of my dad's family has diabetes..

My dad has diabetes... He had it since he was likeee... 30ish? He's now 44.. bless lol.. He takes tablets and stuff.. about 3-4 different ones.. He dosen't take insulin yet but if he's not careful then he will be

He was serious about his diet for like 2 weeks and slowly slipped back to normal lol. He wouldn't be able to be serious.. He has something wrong with his liver because of it as well I think Tut tut.. Oh and he goes for check ups and stuff but is not serious about it because he knows he's quite naughty and dosen't take it all seriously so sometimes misses it and stuff.. He should be checking himself with a home needle kit thing at least every 2 weeks.. but he hasn't done it in months lol..

Mum says I probably get diabetes if I'm not careful because I eat alot of sweets.. I'm not that careful about it too.. It just sort of 'slips my mind' that I have a lot of diabetic members in my family and I have a good chance of getting it..
    Last edited by .:SpIcYsPy:.; 22-07-2006 at 17:59.

i have a great uncle that has diabeties and my great grandad had it and i have it to a degree. i have been admited to hospital with a very low sugar level that the paramedics said theyd revieved people with higher sugar level then mine but i was about 14 at the time and the doctor sadi i have to make sure i eat and drink sugary foods/drinks first thing every morning or ill end up in hospital. im not sure if it is classed a diabeties but i know it scared me and my mum at the time. but i still get checked regarly but i guess theres different ways of controlling the syptoms.

Diabetes can be if you got a very low sugar level or if you got a very high sugar level... my family has got the high one if you hadn't guessed x

The main symptoms of diabetes are:
    - increased thirst
    - going to the loo all the time – especially at night
    - extreme tiredness
    - weight loss
    - genital itching or regular episodes of thrush
    - blurred vision.
    Last edited by .:SpIcYsPy:.; 22-07-2006 at 19:35.

I've got type 2 diabetes which is just controlled by diet. It was diagnosed after i had gestional diabetes, and i had to use insulin in both my pregnancies

my moms mom died from type 1 diabetes my dad has type 2 diabetes he found out about 4 or 5 years ago he now has to have tablets everymorning and night metphormin (sp?) being diabetec he shouldnt have chocolate but he sneaks into the fridge of a night when the family is sleeping!! we have told him to stop with the chocolate otherwise he will end up going to type 1 diabetes!! hopefully that wont happen

Does your bf have to get up alot in the night for the toilet?
    My dad does its apparently another sign of diabetes, this is a problem for my dad as this keeps him awake alot and he sleeps during the day when he should be active!

$sTaCeY$

He has major lapses but in the main he is quite good at dealing with it. Although it is quite difficult cause he's got a major sweet tooth, but we have stocked up on special choclate from Thorntons.

I am struggling a bit though cause I'm sure he doesnt take care of himself properly, but then on the other hand i'm his girlfriend not his mum but I guess there should be a balance somewhere.

Thanks for the advise guys

Hazy I will pm you when I get a bit more time!

[QUOTE=Jade] Although it is quite difficult cause he's got a major sweet tooth, but we have stocked up on special choclate from Thorntons.

QUOTE]

Is that sugar free chocolate u have got for him?

$sTaCeY$

Thread Information