Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EXCLUSIVE: PC Tony stamped out of 'The Bill'

EXCLUSIVE: PC Tony stamped out of 'The Bill'

The Bill's current longest-serving character PC Tony Stamp has been axed from the series after nearly 22 years, Digital Spy can confirm.

Graham Cole - who made his first appearance as Tony in September 1987 during an episode titled 'Some You Win, Some You Lose' - will leave the long-running series later this year after producers feel that the police officer "doesn't fit" the show's "new 'dynamic'".

In an email to fan site Stampers, Cole said: "How do I tell you this? As my official website, I have to inform the 'Stampers' the management have decided that PC Tony Stamp will not be a part of the new nine o'clock show.

He continued: "I cannot tell you how disappointed and disregarded I feel. Tony has been a wonderful character to play. They say he doesn't fit the new 'dynamic' so I have to be out of the programme before the big relaunch in November. I will launch the new nine o'clock format but then they don't want any thing negative within the new show."

He added: "So poor old Tony will be sent to training school, with the door left open to come back for odd episodes."

Speaking of his exit, Cole told DS: "I have had a wonderful time patrolling the streets of Sun Hill and of course I'm sad to leave. Tony has been a big part of my life for a long time, but I'm looking forward to seeking out some new challenges and enjoying life outside the nick!"

Executive producer Jonathan Young added: "Graham is a much-loved and admired member of cast. He has contributed an enormous amount to The Bill and we are grateful for his enthusiasm and support over the years. PC Tony Stamp leaves an amazing legacy."

At the beginning of this year, it was announced that ITV's flagship police drama was to be cut to one episode per week and moved to a 9pm, post-watershed time slot.

The show's relaunch is intended to allow 'grittier and more action-packed' content.

Last week, DS revealed that The Bill will regularly air in high definition from July 1.

Cole is currently writing his autobiography, which is due to be released later this year.

Nooo, he has always been my favourite

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

matt1378 (18-10-2009)

B*****DS

I am absolutely disgusted with the producers. Tony Stamp is a great character played by an equally great actor. What planet are these cretins on
    Last edited by alan45; 03-06-2009 at 21:06.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (04-06-2009), Kim (04-06-2009), matt1378 (18-10-2009), parkerman (04-06-2009)

I completely agree Alan. Tony is one of the best characters on the show, he walks all over the younger coppers.

22 years of dedicated work and they do this to Graham? It's a disgrace.

Its not right - they did the same to Reg Hollis - shame on you

Tony is the Bill! it will not be the same without him

I hope that as a result of this change the show goes downhill further and the producers see what a mistake they have made.

Quote Originally Posted by no1abbafan View Post
    Its not right - they did the same to Reg Hollis - shame on you
    In fairness to the producers though Jeff who played Reggie Babe had a few 'personal' problems which were affecting his work

But they could have given him time out to sort his problems, say six months, and then have him come back. There was no need to sack him alltogether

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    But they could have given him time out to sort his problems, say six months, and then have him come back. There was no need to sack him alltogether
    I do agree 100% with you there. In fact it was rumoured recently that Jeff was coming back.

Not sure whether that was more wishful thinking rather than true, I have not come across any further comments/confirmation, so I guess he is not coming back. Especially now they have axed PC Stamp

Thread Information