Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Thread

Manchester United star Dimitar Berbatov fled his native Bulgaria with his girlfriend and daughter after crime bosses threatened to kidnap the pair, it was claimed today.

The striker is believed to have evacuated his loved ones from Sofia on a private charter plane provided by United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Local mafia dons had contacted Berbatov's mother, Margarita, 10 days ago to tell her that the family was in danger if the £30million footballer did not pay a £500,000 protection fee.

He refused to go to police over the threat to his girlfriend Elena and new baby, Dea, after underworld sources told him that officials from Bulgaria's Internal Affairs Ministry were also in on the plot.

Instead, the star is believed to have negotiated a deal directly with the clan bosses who agreed to leave his family alone.

Elena had returned to Sofia from Manchester to give birth on October 15th and had remained in the city to be close to family and friends.

Berbatov has a horror of gang crime since he was kidnapped by a mob boss as a rising young star in his homeland.

He was snatched from outside the training ground of the local team he was playing for, CSKA-Sofia, and taken on a terrifying ride to meet the country's most feared gangster, Georgi Iliev.

The mobster, later gunned down by a rival, wanted Berbatov, then a rising 18-year-old star, to sign for his own club, FC Levski Kjustendil.

He was only saved when his father managed to negotiate a settlement with a local mob boss.

'Dimi is still very worried for his family and has promised his neighbours money if they notice any suspicious people around his house,' a family friend was quoted in Bulgarian press as saying.

A Manchester United spokesman could not verify the story to the Daily Mail.

It is also claimed that security had been increased around Berbatov's England home - however the spokesman said they would not comment on security issues.

They are not doing too well at the moment

I was at the game on tuesday, was an amazing atmosphere, not much trouble which is always good. P

Edwin van der Sar believes Manchester United have the strength in depth to cope without Wayne Rooney.

United and England were left fearing the worst when Rooney suffered what appeared to be a serious ankle injury towards the end of the 2-1 Champions League quarter-final, first leg defeat by Bayern Munich last night.

Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, played down the injury, saying that he did not think it was “terribly serious”, but Rooney left the Allianz Arena on crutches, with his right foot in a protective plastic boot. He will have an MRI scan today to determine the extent of the damage.

There are fears that the 24-year-old may have damaged ligaments, which could rule him out for months, and Rooney seems certain to miss the Barclays Premier League match against Chelsea at Old Trafford on Saturday and the second leg against Bayern next Wednesday. However, Van der Sar believes United can cope without the loss of their 34-goal talisman.

"Against Bolton we also played with some other players," Van der Sar said. "It can happen in the season. You always want your best players available but we know the players coming in can also do a good job."

Park Ji Sung also expressed his confidence that United could reach the semi-finals. "We are disappointed because we were leading," he said. "The early goal was good for us but we weren't able to build on it and get the result. But we have our chance to go through at Old Trafford. Bayern have an experienced team, and the club has a proud history.

"They did well but the situation will be different at Old Trafford. We're waiting for them to come there."

Sir Alex Ferguson tore into his players for giving away the ball too cheaply. “Our possession wasn’t good enough,” the United manager said. “When we brought [Dimitar] Berbatov on [in the second half], we could have stopped giving the ball away in midfield and made some progress in the final third. But the real crux was giving the ball away and it caused us to defend when we didn’t need to defend. The disappointment is we gave it away too easily, all night. Right from minute one, the possession wasn’t to our standard.

“It’s hard to explain because it is something we pride ourselves on and it has been integral to our progress this year. That was a disappointment to me.”

Ferguson praised Van der Sar, the United goalkeeper, for holding Bayern at bay as long as he did.

“We didn’t need to work for our goal and we got it very easily,” the Scot said. “Maybe it was too early, but we had outstanding chances to win the tie, with Wayne in the first and second half, but we would have carried a bit of luck had we done that.

“Time and again, Van der Sar made the saves to keep us in the game and we have to admit that. I didn’t think we started well at all. We scored early, but didn’t play well.

“With their winner, there was a lot of confusion. The ball got caught between [Patrice] Evra’s feet and he stumbled. It allowed [Ivica] Olic to get into the box. He [Evra] was unlucky, but it wasn’t a good goal to concede.” Ferguson believes the tie remains delicately poised, however, and is convinced that the away goal could prove pivotal.

“An away goal is always an advantage, no question about that and the tie is not dead,” he said. “But Bayern have a strong chance. On our own ground we should have a real chance of progressing. It’s very tight.”

Probably wasnt the result they wanted against Chelsea.

I hope Rooney is back tonight even on bench he is really missed when he is out

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    I hope Rooney is back tonight even on bench he is really missed when he is out
    For peace and harmony in my house I hope Bayern win... I don't like Man U anyway but my partner is German and huge Bayern supported.. My son has become a Bayern fan too!
    Super Mod

my mam is driving back to manchester from Birmingham and she has said she has never seen so many green and yellow scarves heading up the motorway!

I think that its all set for a big game, Man United will have to work extra hard, Bayern have sme great players though, ill be keeping an eye on Daniel Van Buyton, an ex blue.

They through it away last night

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    They through it away last night
    Not according to Ferguson.. The germans are to blame for having that guy sent off..
    Super Mod

Thread Information