Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Thread

Just read it on the Daily Mail site
    But I can't believe the money this deal is for

I know, it is obscene imo.

It is when you think all they really do is play football and fall out of nightclubs with wanna-be wags

and fergie has the cheek to call man city for what they paid for Robinho.

had a feeling he would go, as much as i hate man united it is probably for the best he has gone, no man is beter than the club. Should be interesting to see who Fergie lines up as a replacement.

I wonder who will be the replacement! Will it be an English player or someone from another European country?

a lot of my friends are talking about either Ribery, who is a good player or Valencia from Wigan! They seem to be the rumours that are circulating. They are OK but nothing compared to Ronaldo, 60 goals in 2 seasons. That takes some replacing. If you think about the goals he scored like that 40 yarder against porto in the semi final without that one to get him through the other players didnt look like scoring.

I think Tevez could stay because of this though. I mean Fergie now has the money to keep him on, and he could play a different formation and include both him and Rooney.

Manchester United have accepted a world record £80 million bid from Real Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo.

After warding off the Spanish club's interest in the Portuguese World Player of the Year this time last year, United said in a statement on Thursday that talks could begin over a possible transfer to the nine-times European champions.

"Manchester United have received a world-record, unconditional offer of 80 million pounds for Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid," the club said.

"At Cristiano's request - who has again expressed his desire to leave - and after discussion with the player's representatives, United have agreed to give Real Madrid permission to talk to the player.

"Matters are expected to be concluded by June 30."

Real Madrid confirmed they had made an offer for Ronaldo.

"The club expects to reach an agreement with the player in coming days," Real said in a statement.

Should Real complete the signing of the 24-year-old it would seal a remarkable double after the Spanish giants snapped up Brazilian playmaker Kaka from Milan this week for a fee reported to be around £58m.

Kaka was the first player to be signed since Florentino Perez returned to the presidency this month and Real Madrid appear intent on continuing their spending spree despite the disapproval of European governing body UEFA.

"It is very puzzling at a time when football faces some of its worst ever financial challenges," UEFA president Michel Platini said.

"These transfers are a serious challenge to the idea of fair play and the concept of financial balance in our competitions."

United have always rejected the advances of Real for their most prized asset, even threatening to report them to FIFA last year over their pursuit of the player.

However, they now seemed resigned to losing Ronaldo, who has always said it would be his dream to play for Real, albeit for a staggering sum of money.

Ronaldo joined United from Sporting Lisbon in 2003 as an 18-year-old in the wake of David Beckham's move to Real Madrid and quickly established himself as arguably the most high-profile player in the Premier League.

His goals have helped United win three consecutive Premier League titles as well as the Champions League last year when he scored in the final against Chelsea.

In the 2007-08 season he scored 42 goals which topped the previous club record for a midfielder held by George Best. Last season he managed 26 goals, taking his tally for United to 118 in 292 appearances.

In January he beat Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Liverpool striker Fernando Torres to win FIFA's World Player of the Year award, the first player from an English club to win it.

United must now concentrate on replacing Ronaldo. Moves for one or more of Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery, Wigan's Antonio Valencia and Lyon forward Karim Benzema would go some way to filling the void.

Real's cash could allow Ferguson to keep Carlos Tevez, who had appeared close to leaving after United refused to meet the £32m price tag set by his economic rights holders, although the two parties remain apart on the Argentine's wage demands.
    I knew after they lost the champions league he would leave - its a shame

He had to go the offer was too good to turn down. When Ronaldo came to Man U six years ago he was an unknown just think of the amount of Ronaldo's they can buy with £80 Million quid. I agree the money they got for him is ludicrious but it's reality no footballer is worth that especially most of today's young footballers they'll will never be as good as George Best, Pele or Kenny Dalgliesh

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Ronaldo is playing for Real Madrid next season. Doubt it will make much difference to Man U's success.
    Of course it will make a difference. Ronaldo and Rooney are probably United best players by far - Edwin van der Sar, Giggs and Scholes are old and near retiring and now with Tevez and Ronaldo gone United will suffer unless they can buy the quality players.

Dimitar Berbatov has been a waste of a buy he is a disaster

United need a good midfielder, winger, striker, goalkeeper and defender (i dont think they ever bought a player similar to Keane since his departure) Hargreaves is injured, Carrick isnt a great player.

Does not seem to matter where Man U is concerned - talking of always coming back smelling of roses, or in their case, silver ware in form of large cups.

Thread Information