Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schumy Critically Ill

Schumy Critically Ill

F1 champion Michael Schumacher 'critical' after ski fall
    Breaking news
    Michael Schumacher, seven-time Formula 1 world champion, is in a "critical condition" after a skiing accident, says the French hospital at which he is being treated.

The 44-year-old German "was suffering a serious brain trauma with coma on his arrival" the hospital in the south-east city of Grenoble said in a statement.

Schumacher's management confirmed his critical condition, reports said.

He was skiing off-piste with his son in the Alps when the accident occurred.

Schumacher was wearing a helmet when he fell and hit his head against a rock, Meribel resort director Christophe Gernignon-Lecomte said earlier.

Early reports had said his condition was not life-threatening.

Mr Gernignon-Lecomte said Schumacher was conscious when he was attended to by two ski patrollers who requested helicopter evacuation to the nearby valley town of Moutiers.

He was subsequently moved to the bigger facility at Grenoble.

The German, who is due to turn 45 on 3 January, retired from F1 for a second time in 2012.

Professor Gerard Saillant, a close ally and friend of Schumacher, and his former Ferrari team boss Jean Todt, are at the hospital.

Prof Saillant is an expert in brain and spine injury. He oversaw Schumacher's medical care when the German broke his leg in the 1999 British GP.

The hospital statement was signed by the facility's neurosurgeon, the professor in charge of its anaesthesia/revival unit, and the hospital's deputy director.

So Sad
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Completely devastated by this. Been checking the news every hour. It is not looking good. Still in coma and no further news.
    Come on Schumacher, you are a fighter and you can pull through.. think of you and your family
    Super Mod

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (31-12-2013), lizann (30-12-2013)

Completely devastated by this. Been checking the news every hour. It is not looking good. Still in coma and no further news.
    Come on Schumacher, you are a fighter and you can pull through.. think of you and your family
    Super Mod

hope he pulls through legend of a man

The family of German motor-racing champion Michael Schumacher are at his bedside as he fights for life following a skiing accident in the French Alps.

Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm, said his wife, Corinna, daughter Gina Maria and son Mick are in a state of shock at the Grenoble hospital.

The seven-time Formula 1 champion suffered head injuries on Sunday in a fall at the resort of Meribel.

He has been put in a medically-induced coma to relieve pressure on his brain.

"The family is not doing very well, obviously. They are shocked," Sabine Kehm told reporters.

Prof Jean-Francois Payen, of Grenoble University Hospital's intensive care unit, told a news conference that they could not give a prognosis for the 44-year-old driver.

"He is in a critical state in terms of cerebral resuscitation. We are working hour by hour," he said.

Prof Payen said that if Schumacher had not been wearing a helmet "he wouldn't be here now".

"We had to operate urgently to release some pressure in his head," the anaesthetist said.

Neurosurgeon Stephan Chabardes said that a post-operative scan had shown "diffuse haemorrhagic lesions" on both sides of Schumacher's brain.

The BBC's Imogen Foulkes in Grenoble says there are precedents for people surviving such injuries.

Induced comas can last several weeks while a patient's condition is stabilised, she adds, and there can be many months of therapy in order to achieve as full a recovery as possible.

Doctors have lowered Schumacher's body temperature to 34-35C (93.2-95F) as part of the coma, slowing his metabolism to help reduce inflammation.

The driver had been skiing off-piste with his teenage son when he fell and hit his head on a rock.

He was first evacuated to a hospital in the nearby town of Moutiers.

Prof Chabardes said the driver was in an "agitated condition" on arrival in Moutiers and his neurological condition "deteriorated rapidly".

He was taken from Moutiers to the larger facility in Grenoble.

Messages of support have come from around the world.

A spokesman for German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she and her government were, like millions of Germans, "extremely shocked".

"We hope, with Michael Schumacher and with his family, that he can overcome and recover from his injuries," the spokesman said.

Former Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa, who recovered from life-threatening head injuries he suffered at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix, wrote on Instagram: "I am praying for you my brother! I hope you have a quick recovery! God bless you, Michael."

On Monday some fans had gathered outside the hospital in Grenoble.

Nuravil Raimbekov, a student from Kyrgyzstan who is studying nearby, described Schumacher as an inspiration.

"I'm worried, of course... but I still hope, and I will pray for him," he said.

Schumacher, who turns 45 on 3 January, retired from F1 for a second time in 2012.

He won seven world championships and secured 91 race victories during his 19-year career.

The driver won two titles with Benetton, in 1994 and 1995, before switching to Ferrari in 1996 and going on to win five straight titles from 2000.

He retired in 2006, and was seriously hurt in a motorcycling accident in Spain three years later, during which he suffered neck and spine injuries.

Schumacher managed to recover and made a comeback in F1 with Mercedes in 2010.

After three seasons which yielded just one podium finish, he quit the sport at the end of last year.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

The condition of the former Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher has improved slightly after doctors carried out a second operation to reduce the swelling on his brain following an off piste skiing accident in the French Alps.

In a press conference at Grenoble hospital on Tuesday doctors said they carried out a two-hour operation to reduce the haematoma on his brain. They said a scan before the procedure had showed a slight improvement, but said they were unable to say the former racing driver was out of danger.

Schumacher spent his second night in hospital as doctors treating the former Formula One driver battle "hour by hour" to save his life after injuries sustained after falling while skiing in the resort of Méribel on Sunday.

Schumacher's wife, Corinna, and their two children, are with him in hospital. So too is Gérard Saillant, a leading brain surgeon from Paris who had rushed to Grenoble on Sunday to be with his former patient and friend.

Doctors said the family had taken the "difficult decision" to go ahead with a second operation when a window of opportunity presented itself. The procedure took place at 10pm on Monday night and had taken two hours.

They said that following the operation there have been "some signs" that Schumacher's condition is "more under control now". While they could not say he is out of danger they have "gained a bit more time in the evolution" of his condition, doctors said.

Schumacher was airlifted to Grenoble on Sunday after falling heavily and hitting his head while skiing on an unmarked slope in the resort of Méribel.

It soon emerged that the accident, initially played down by a spokesman for the resort, had a devastating impact on Schumacher, who was in a coma by the time he arrived at Grenoble.

Doctors said the first operation, on Sunday, had been to eliminate extradural haematoma – outside the actual brain – to reduce pressure. A scan later showed that one of the haemotoma within the left of the brain was larger and accessible they said, and they could eliminate it without risk so they carried out the second operation.

The gravity of the retired champion's condition prompted figures from across the sporting world to express their shock at the accident and solidarity with a man regarded as one of the greatest racing drivers in Formula One's history.

The current world champion and fellow German Sebastian Vettel, who has been dubbed Baby Schumi by his country's media, led a chorus of support and concern from the sport. "I am shocked and hope that he gets better as quickly as possible. I wish his family much strength."

The British driver Jenson Button, another former world champion, said: "My thoughts are with Michael Schumacher at this tough time. Michael more than anyone has the strength to pull through this."

Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, said she was "extremely shocked along with millions of Germans".

According to one French media report, the blow to Schumacher's head was so fierce that the helmet cracked. That could not be independently confirmed, but prosecutor Patrice Quincy, based in Albertville, the home of the 1992 Winter Olympics, said: "The victim lost his balance and banged his head extremely violently on small rocks concealed by the snow."

Two ski patrollers arrived at the scene of the accident immediately, Quincy added, a rescue process which soon saw the sportsman taken by helicopter to the nearest hospital at Moûtiers.

Schumacher is thought to have been skiing downhill between two marked pistes below the jagged peaks of the Dent de Burgin when he fell, hitting the right side of his head.

Investigators from the gendarmerie based in the resort of Bourg St Maurice were on Monday on the mountainside attempting to establish the exact circumstances of the accident, which occurred at 2,100m.

After the impact, Schumacher was conscious but "stunned", neurosurgeon Stephan Chabardes said. "He didn't respond to questions after the accident. He didn't have a normal neurological reaction," he told the news conference. By the time he was brought to the hospital at Grenoble, which has an internationally recognised trauma centre, Schumacher was in a coma.

Tony Belli, a consultant neurosurgeon and reader in neurotrauma at Birmingham University, said that Schumacher's age, fitness and psychological strength would help his recovery. "He's got a lot of factors in his favour," he said. "He's more likely than not to make a good recovery, despite all the concerns that have been raised.

From the description of his injuries, it will take weeks, even months to recover, but I do expect him to make a good recovery."

Outside the hospital, fans mingled with television crews as the wait for a further update went on into the night.

Dressed in a red Ferrari cap, jacket and T-shirt, Enzo Debar, 31, said he had come to the hospital "to be close to him, to do what is possible, as a fan. I hope he'll get better. I am sure he will get better, because he's a fighter."

Sharing his hope was Patrick Amatucci, from Grenoble, who had come down with his son. He described Schumacher, whom he had followed from his days with Benetton, as "a great, good man", with greatness in his blood.

The Guardian

couldn't beleive it on Sunday when i heard the news I keep watchinnng the different news channels hoping they will say he is out of danger. Come on Schumi your a fighter you can do it.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (16-01-2014)

He is getting better and improving all the time now

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (02-01-2014), tammyy2j (01-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    He is getting better and improving all the time now
    That is good to hear

Last edited by tammyy2j; 01-01-2014 at 21:17.

Thread Information