Page 375 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385425475875 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,750 of 10831

Thread: Eastenders - Current Episode Discussion - VIII

duff duff duff duff duff duff duff duff duff

tonight's ee should be a cracker. Aunty has promised a bit extra at the end of the credits and has said for ee fans to stay tuned. is this to stop you turning over to the other side? naughty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis tanner View Post
    The honourable thing would have been not to propose to the girl or even to break it off before his parents had shelled out thousands on his fancy wedding. Would he have called it off if Zainab hadn't found out....Prorably not.

NB....Please don't get the idea that I don't like Syed

With the NB, no probs.. I am actually enjoying discussing this with someone with opposing view...
    Yes it would have been better to call it off from the start but I will go back to my old quote, he loved Amira, he was confused about his feeling for Christian and his religion played a lot in it too... He would have had to tell his parent why he called it off and risked losing them.. they wanted grandkids, they wanted him to be a respectable muslim so I personally think he married to please them, not himself... If his parents had been a bit more understand and accepting of his sexuality, this would never have been a problem.. he needed their support and failed to get it and is still failing no matter how much he tries to make it up to them now
    Super Mod

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

parkerman (13-01-2012)

That's exactly it, Shiv.

The point of this storyline is to show how prejudice can wreck lives. The Masoods are prejudiced against gays because the Qu'ran says they should be. They had a choice whether to support their son or worry about their peers and the thought that having a gay son would bring shame on them. They chose to ostracise their son and give in to prejudice. If she was a loving mother, Zainab would have supported Syed in calling off the wedding however much it cost and however late in the day. Remember Arthur and Michelle and Kevin and Sophie come to that. Parents should want what is best for their children not abandon them - or worse, make them do something that could completely ruin their lives - because of their religion or the worry that their friends will having nothing to do with them any more. What sort of friends would they be anyway? Syed has been caught in the middle of love and respect for his parents on the one hand and his true feelings on the other. He has been through months of utter turmoil. Out of all of them he has to be the one you feel most sorry for.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

sarah c (13-01-2012), Siobhan (13-01-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    With the NB, no probs.. I am actually enjoying discussing this with someone with opposing view...
    Yes it would have been better to call it off from the start but I will go back to my old quote, he loved Amira, he was confused about his feeling for Christian and his religion played a lot in it too... He would have had to tell his parent why he called it off and risked losing them..
    He clearly did not love Amira as a potential sexual partner. You are suggesting that he did not know he was gay until he met Christian and I do not believe this to be true. He could have claled it off by telling his parents that he no longer loved her and this would have been more or less the truth.
    they wanted grandkids, they wanted him to be a respectable muslim so I personally think he married to please them, not himself... If his parents had been a bit more understand and accepting of his sexuality, this would never have been a problem.. he needed their support and failed to get it and is still failing no matter how much he tries to make it up to them now
    He had the option of being honest from them from the start. By being deceitful he didn't give them the chance to support him properly. Masood never knew about it till some time after the wedding and because Zainab found out about it far too late, she was not in a position to give rational advice.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    That's exactly it, Shiv.

The point of this storyline is to show how prejudice can wreck lives. The Masoods are prejudiced against gays because the Qu'ran says they should be. They had a choice whether to support their son or worry about their peers and the thought that having a gay son would bring shame on them. They chose to ostracise their son and give in to prejudice. If she was a loving mother, Zainab would have supported Syed in calling off the wedding however much it cost and however late in the day. Remember Arthur and Michelle and Kevin and Sophie come to that. Parents should want what is best for their children not abandon them - or worse, make them do something that could completely ruin their lives - because of their religion or the worry that their friends will having nothing to do with them any more. What sort of friends would they be anyway? Syed has been caught in the middle of love and respect for his parents on the one hand and his true feelings on the other. He has been through months of utter turmoil. Out of all of them he has to be the one you feel most sorry for.
    REspect works both ways. You are not deceitful with people you are supposed to respect. I feel sure that they took into consideration all the other times his conduct had let them down.
    Last edited by Dennis tanner; 13-01-2012 at 14:48.

He clearly did not love Amira as a potential sexual partner. You are suggesting that he did not know he was gay until he met Christian and I do not believe this to be true. He could have claled it off by telling his parents that he no longer loved her and this would have been more or less the truth.
    He had the option of being honest from them from the start. By being deceitful he didn't give them the chance to support him properly. Masood never knew about it till some time after the wedding and because Zainab found out about it far too late, she was not in a position to give rational advice.
    As a muslim he would have been brought up to think if you are gay then you are a bad person and a disgrace.. Yes he admitted to Christian there was on other guy but he was in total conflict. For him, Amira was a way to show everyone that he was not gay, he was in turmoil and didn't know how he should feel.. heart and head conflict. You saw Zainab reaction to Christian when she found out he was gay, Syed saw this so how do you think he felt??? he thought "I am going to be treated the same way".. the only person who showed him any support was Tamwar.. As a parent your main concern should be to see your children happy.. After she found out, she could see Syed was unhappy but still didn't support him then... She was that ashamed of him, she couldn't even discuss this with her husband.. He has been out for 2 years now and has shown he is a good person but still Mas treats him with no respect.
    Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    As a muslim he would have been brought up to think if you are gay then you are a bad person and a disgrace.. Yes he admitted to Christian there was on other guy but he was in total conflict. For him, Amira was a way to show everyone that he was not gay, he was in turmoil and didn't know how he should feel.. heart and head conflict. You saw Zainab reaction to Christian when she found out he was gay, Syed saw this so how do you think he felt??? he thought "I am going to be treated the same way".. the only person who showed him any support was Tamwar.. As a parent your main concern should be to see your children happy.. After she found out, she could see Syed was unhappy but still didn't support him then... She was that ashamed of him, she couldn't even discuss this with her husband.. He has been out for 2 years now and has shown he is a good person but still Mas treats him with no respect.
    If we ignore the fact that he was previously ostricised because he stole off his own family, I accept that Syed has had to make some difficult decisions. However, I would have prefered him to have worked through his problems without wrecking someone elses life. As a 'Good Muslim' he must have known what he was doing to Amira. If he had ben open and honest from the start it would have been difficult. However, his difficulties with his parents would not have lasted, as proved by his current situation.
    Last edited by Dennis tanner; 13-01-2012 at 15:05.

If we ignore the fact that he was previously ostricised because he stole off his own family, I accept that Syed has had to make some difficult decisions. However, I would have prefered him to have worked through his problems without wrecking someone elses life. As a 'Good Muslim' he must have known what he was doing to Amira. If he had ben open and honest from the start it would have been difficult. However, his difficulties with his parents would not have lasted, as proved by his current situation.
    Syed is only back living at home because Amira and the baby is with him, do you think if he was with Christian they Massods would have them round

Syed wanted his mother Zainab to stop the wedding but she made him marry Amira - Syed was a scared person didnt he even try and commit suicide over it at some stage

Anyways back to the show at present and I think Carol should follow her heart and go with David

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

parkerman (13-01-2012), Siobhan (13-01-2012)

I guess we will never know what would have happened if he had been honest from the start but the whole storyline was about been gay and a muslim and the conflicts and disgrace it brings... It surprised me the reaction that his family gave him considering at one stage when Tam was doing standup, his mother joked about him been gay like she accepted that... I think as Syed was the first born,he had more to live up to.
    Super Mod

As a 'Good Muslim' he must have known what he was doing to Amira.
    As a "Good Muslim" he would know that homosexuality is a sin. How do you think that made him feel?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (13-01-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Syed is only back living at home because Amira and the baby is with him, do you think if he was with Christian they Massods would have them round

Syed wanted his mother Zainab to stop the wedding but she made him marry Amira - Syed was a scared person didnt he even try and commit suicide over it at some stage
    He could have stopped it himself at any stage. He did not need Mommy's permisssion.
    Anyways back to the show at present and I think Carol should follow her heart and go with David
    I think Carol likes being in EE

Thread Information