Page 467 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 367417457465466467468469477517567967 ... LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,670 of 10831

Thread: Eastenders - Current Episode Discussion - VIII

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Although I agree with what you say, I find this whole story line of the close monitoring by the social worker to be ridiculous. The social services would not take such a keen interest in Lola. The baby is not "at risk" in the sense it is used by social workers; they know she is not in danger of mistreatment or abuse. Lola needs support not criticism, which is what they would try to do - give support. A social worker would not criticise the fact the washing up's not been done for example. A social worker would not inspect Lexi's bum, she's not a health professional. Neither the police nor the social services have the right to take away Lexi if all they are doing is calling Lola in for questioning. She would either be taken with or left with Billy or Patrick. And as for visiting once a day, is the caseload in the East End of London really that small that the social worker can do this? Does she only have a handful of cases? Especially as I've already said, Lexi is not at risk of physical harm. I find the while thing just too ridiculous. I can image social workers sitting at home watching this and absolutely seething that they are seen as the bad guys and not as people trying to help.
    I agree it is farfetched, but the whole bullying by Lexi and her mates comes close.
    I cannot imagine though that social workers would act so harsh.....

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Although I agree with what you say, I find this whole story line of the close monitoring by the social worker to be ridiculous. The social services would not take such a keen interest in Lola. The baby is not "at risk" in the sense it is used by social workers; they know she is not in danger of mistreatment or abuse. Lola needs support not criticism, which is what they would try to do - give support. A social worker would not criticise the fact the washing up's not been done for example. A social worker would not inspect Lexi's bum, she's not a health professional. Neither the police nor the social services have the right to take away Lexi if all they are doing is calling Lola in for questioning. She would either be taken with or left with Billy or Patrick. And as for visiting once a day, is the caseload in the East End of London really that small that the social worker can do this? Does she only have a handful of cases? Especially as I've already said, Lexi is not at risk of physical harm. I find the while thing just too ridiculous. I can image social workers sitting at home watching this and absolutely seething that they are seen as the bad guys and not as people trying to help.
    I agree it is farfetched, but the whole bullying by Lexi and her mates comes close.
    I cannot imagine though that social workers would act so harsh.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchgirl For This Useful Post:

parkerman (07-10-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchgirl View Post
    Yes, I agree. This gang of girls suddenly turn up hanging around on the Square. Where have they been before?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchgirl View Post
    Yes, I agree. This gang of girls suddenly turn up hanging around on the Square. Where have they been before?

For me the Friday ep went past sensible boundaries for all the reasons you've all stated , how the Beeb can issue an assistance warning at the end is pathetic. This storyline is topical and deals with very sensitive issues and deserves to be handled correctly.So distorted it is unjustifiable to the agencies depicted and viewers. All done I guess to get Sharon & Phil back together and Sharon back in the Vic. imo. I have written to the Beeb and if I get the courtesy of a reply I will post it. Incidentally Lexi was more at risk of harm the way she was being transported in the car apart from the legal issues.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glen1 For This Useful Post:

moonstorm (07-10-2012), parkerman (07-10-2012), Perdita (07-10-2012), tammyy2j (07-10-2012)

Well done, Glen I look forward to the reply.

So Derek didnt try using the tracker on Alice's new phone that was stolen :->

he BBC has denied setting out to portray social workers in a poor light following complaints over Lola Pearce's current EastEnders storyline.

Last week, viewers saw Lola's baby daughter Lexi removed from her care by strict social worker Trish Barnes after she was arrested for assault. The sad development for Lola followed a number of tense visits from Trish.

The Guardian reports that The British Association of Social Workers (BASW) has now complained over the portrayal of Trish in the plotline, branding the recent scenes "shabby" as accurate procedures were not followed.

Bridget Robb, acting chief of the BASW, commented: "It is disgraceful to see a publicly funded broadcaster deliberately spreading misinformation about the child protection process because it is too lazy and arrogant to get it right.

"We regularly give advice to programmes about social work storylines - we would like to know who advised EastEnders so badly.

"Social workers have a difficult enough job as it is. Unlike the writers and actors on EastEnders, they have to step through those front doors that no-one else wants to step through, and they do it on a daily basis, to protect children, not to target families.

"EastEnders' shabby portrayal of an entire profession has made a tough job even tougher."

One social worker complained directly to the BBC over the episode in question, claiming that it was irresponsible to show Lexi being taken away from Lola without sufficient grounds.

In response, a BBC Complaints representative said: "We'd like to assure you our intention is not to portray social workers in a negative light. While the audience has seen how much Lola loves Lexi and how responsible she can be with her baby, we were careful to ensure that when the social worker was visiting, she generally saw only more worrying behaviour.

"Lola was often abrasive when speaking to the social worker and casual - sometimes even flippant - in her responses to the social worker's suggestions. Given that Lola is a young mother, who has been, until this episode, wearing an electronic tag… with a history of getting into trouble with the police, and is known to have had a difficult childhood herself… it was clearly important for social services to be involved with the family in order to ensure that Lola could cope with having a baby."

They continued: "In the last few weeks the social worker witnessed a series of unfortunate incidents, including Lexi wearing a tea-towel as a make-shift nappy, reports of Lola not taking Lexi to the mother and baby group, a messy and unclean flat, and the discovery that Billy had lied to her about having a job.

"Under the circumstances, we believe the audience will have understood why she had to act to remove Lexi quickly when the allegation of assault is made against Lola by Alexa.

"There was no suggestion that the social worker's actions were anything other than a genuine desire to protect Lexi, or that her concerns about Lola were unreasonable, given the picture she and the previous social worker had formed over a substantial period of time."

Lola will be seen attempting to win Lexi back with help from her family in upcoming episodes.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (09-10-2012), parkerman (09-10-2012), tammyy2j (09-10-2012)

I'm glad they've complained. I think, as I have said above, the way the BBC has portrayed social workers is a disgrace.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (09-10-2012)

Brilliant news. Will the BBC have the courage to broadcast an apology? best not hold our breath.

Thread Information