Page 980 of 1083 FirstFirst ... 48088093097097897998098198299010301080 ... LastLast
Results 9,791 to 9,800 of 10825

Thread: Coronation Street - Current Episode Discussion - IV

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseP View Post
    How does voice command work then ? I was baffled by that ! I use contactless through but always terrified of losing my card . Someone could have a whale of a time with it in different shops.
    Just tell Siri or Cortana what you want and they do it for you.

I use Contactless payment whenever I can. It's just so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseP View Post
    How does voice command work then ? I was baffled by that ! I use contactless through but always terrified of losing my card . Someone could have a whale of a time with it in different shops.
    I've never used voice command myself but I do know that on Android phones it works by the saying "OK Google" and then asking a question. Here's a list of examples of facts you can ask Google that I've copy and pasted from the page I link to below:

Find the time: "What time is it in London?"

Check the weather: "Do I need a jacket today?" or "What's the weather like tomorrow morning?"

Answer trivia questions:
    "Where was Albert Einstein born?" or "How old is Beyonce?"

Get stock prices:
    "What's the Google stock price?" (Disclaimer about financial data)

Calculate the tip:
    "What's the tip for 42 dollars?"

Translate words or phrases:
    "How do you say cucumber in Spanish?"

Define a word: "What does gluttony mean?"

Convert between units: "What's 16 ounces in pounds?"

Solve a math problem: "What's the square root of 2209?"

Track a package from your Gmail order confirmation: "Where's my package?"

Search within apps on your device:
    "Search for thai food on Yelp."

https://support.google.com/websearch...DAndroid&hl=en

I think what you can ask your phone to do or find out for you via voice command is pretty much limited to your imagination. You can also do similar on iPhones but as I don't have one I don't know anything about that!

As for contactless payments you should get your money back if your card's stolen just as you would for traditional payments.

Edited to add: I cross-posted with parkerman's for more succinct explanation
    Last edited by Dazzle; 02-10-2016 at 13:36.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

parkerman (02-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    I think that might have been under pressure from Visa to up their product placement profile a bit!

As far as the flats go, it is, of course, just another of these totally unrealistic storylines. Where did Vinny and Phelan get all the money that would be needed to buy that complex for development? The size of it would run into millions. Why has practically everyone in the Street suddenly decided they need a flat and that it has to be there? Why has no-one involved a solicitor in looking over the contract? And many other points as raised above by various people. But, hey ho, that's the Corrie we all know and love....
    All that aside. where are they hoping to get mortgages from. Sarah Lou hardly makes a fortune. You are correct. The whole storyline is implausible. Phelen even had to "borrow" his share to go into partnership with Vinnie.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-10-2016), parkerman (02-10-2016), swmc66 (03-10-2016), tammyy2j (04-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    All that aside. where are they hoping to get mortgages from. Sarah Lou hardly makes a fortune. You are correct. The whole storyline is implausible. Phelen even had to "borrow" his share to go into partnership with Vinnie.
    The Sarah Louise part of this storyline is particularly nonsensical. How she'll pay the rest of what she thinks she's going to owe on the flat doesn't appear to have occurred to her. As a single mother of two and part-time barmaid I'd have thought her likelihood of getting a mortgage to cover it is very low.

I don't know anything about this so might be talking complete rubbish (not unusual for me ) but perhaps Vinny would have borrowed most of the money to buy the dilapidated building (which of course he'd have no intention of repaying) or there may be other investors on board expecting to make a killing when the flats are sold.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 02-10-2016 at 15:59.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (04-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I cross-posted with parkerman's for more succinct explanation
    Yes, but you actually explained it. I'm sure Louise learnt much more from your post than mine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-10-2016)

The Sarah Louise part of this storyline is particularly nonsensical. How she'll pay the rest of what she thinks she's going to owe on the flat doesn't appear to have occurred to her. As a single mother of two and part-time barmaid I'd have thought her likelihood of getting a mortgage to cover it is very low.

I don't know anything about this so might be talking complete rubbish (not unusual for me ) but perhaps Vinny would have borrowed most of the money to buy the dilapidated building (which of course he'd have no intention of repaying) or there may be other investors on board expecting to make a killing when the flats are sold.
    Has Vinnie or Phelan actually shown proof they own the building ?? As far as I know they had some cardboard model made up to show what it should look like, Eileen has been round it but was warned that Health and Safety would not be happy if they knew .... I agree with other comments that mortgages seem to be assumed to come flying through everyone´s doors regardless of income

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-10-2016), livden (02-10-2016), swmc66 (03-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Has Vinnie or Phelan actually shown proof they own the building ?? As far as I know they had some cardboard model made up to show what it should look like, Eileen has been round it but was warned that Health and Safety would not be happy if they knew .... I agree with other comments that mortgages seem to be assumed to come flying through everyone´s doors regardless of income
    They got Planning permission from the Council......come to think of it that doesn't prove anything given Corrie's knowledge of how Councils work.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-10-2016), Perdita (02-10-2016), swmc66 (03-10-2016)

That's a good point! They could have done some research and laid claim to the building safe in the knowledge nobody else would come forward to say otherwise at least in the near future. I would hope that real councils check these things, but who knows with Corrie's fantasy version?

In my country you need to pay 15 % of what the apartment/house costs just to get a loan to cover the 85 %.

That's a good point! They could have done some research and laid claim to the building safe in the knowledge nobody else would come forward to say otherwise at least in the near future. I would hope that real councils check these things, but who knows with Corrie's fantasy version?
    Strange as it seems you can apply for planning permission on buildings you don't own but you have to show some proof from the actual owners that you have a right to make the alterations or that a sale is going through. Any council should thoroughly check ownership or permission. That is one of the reasons planning permission for a development like this would normally take several months. Of course in Corrie, permission was all done and dusted in a couple of weeks.

Edit: P.S. It's not difficult for the Council to check ownership with the Land Registry.
    Last edited by parkerman; 02-10-2016 at 18:32.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (03-10-2016), Dazzle (02-10-2016), Perdita (02-10-2016), RogerOver (04-10-2016)

Thread Information