Page 569 of 1083 FirstFirst ... 694695195595675685695705715796196691069 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,690 of 10825

Thread: Coronation Street - Current Episode Discussion - IV

So neither the bank nor the insurance company bothered to tell Tracy that her last payment bounced? Hmmmm,.....

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    So neither the bank nor the insurance company bothered to tell Tracy that her last payment bounced? Hmmmm,.....
    Im actually surprised she even had insurance
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

lizann (15-01-2015), maidmarian (15-01-2015), tammyy2j (15-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    Mary doesn't have a right to rule Dev and his family's life, but they care about her which is why they want to keep her happy. As for the Norris "Misery" storyline, I doubt Dev knows about it (were the police ever involved?) and anyway it was a bit of comic relief and not to be taken too seriously. Mary's proved herself a decent person in the years since that happened.

Carla is a perfect example of the kind of women Maidmarian was talking about - she inherited the business from her dead husband - and she can't seem to go long without a man on her arm either!
    Mary may have been behaving since, and I've quite liked her-she's been funny. But as far as I remember, Norris was missing and everyone was looking for him-surely everyone on the street knew about it!!(they always gossip..) So Dev must have known too. Point is if she's making things that difficult for everyone why bother-whether she's only a childminder or friend. It's her problem-they've tried being nice, it's Mary who has to accept that Dev and Julie are together and she has to step back a bit. If she can't accept that then she has to keep away. My fear is that they are changing her now, and I won't like her anymore. She's acting very strangely recently.

I didn't know Carla's history-but even with that, I think she's always been quite independent woman-comes out as strong anyway. She was weak with Peter, but she doesn't have anyone now..Tina could have been one and I really liked her with Tommy(it doesn't always mean that if you are in relationship you couldn't be independent as well does it? ) before she became totally different character overnight. Maddie has been very independent too in her own way. And what about older ladies like Rita, Audrey..even Deirdre? Yes she has Ken but she's had her job and her own life too. That's what being independent means to me-you can still be in relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by mariba View Post
    Mary may have been behaving since, and I've quite liked her-she's been funny. But as far as I remember, Norris was missing and everyone was looking for him-surely everyone on the street knew about it!!(they always gossip..) So Dev must have known too. Point is if she's making things that difficult for everyone why bother-whether she's only a childminder or friend. It's her problem-they've tried being nice, it's Mary who has to accept that Dev and Julie are together and she has to step back a bit. If she can't accept that then she has to keep away. My fear is that they are changing her now, and I won't like her anymore. She's acting very strangely recently.

I didn't know Carla's history-but even with that, I think she's always been quite independent woman-comes out as strong anyway. She was weak with Peter, but she doesn't have anyone now..Tina could have been one and I really liked her with Tommy(it doesn't always mean that if you are in relationship you couldn't be independent as well does it? ) before she became totally different character overnight. Maddie has been very independent too in her own way. And what about older ladies like Rita, Audrey..even Deirdre? Yes she has Ken but she's had her job and her own life too. That's what being independent means to me-you can still be in relationship.
    Audrey got all her money /property from
    Alf when he died. When they married she
    was pracically penniless and quite feckless
    but I do accept she has kept running the
    hairdressing business in later years(based
    on Alfs money)
    Rita was some sort of singer then got
    property/money when married Len
    ( he was the owner of the the Kabin)
    and he later died. Then she married
    a sweetie rep and inherited another big
    house after a few months.
    Deidre was left as a single parent and
    has worked most of the time-probably
    more than Ken!!
    Emily wasnt ever a sponger by my
    reckoning- Maddie- no comment

It is possible to be independent
    and in a relationship of course but
    usually the effort comes from.both
    parties.
    It would be possible to get a business
    loan to start a business- but u have to
    repay the capital plus loan and have a
    reasonable employment/ financial
    history to qualify ( not Rita or Audrey)
    so they got the money thru marriage
    Fair enough- but not independent.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-01-2015)

dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 15-01-2015 at 13:36.

I love the Platt family banter. It's often very funny and feels very natural.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Maybe Tracey hadn't been opening her mail/email? People up to their eyes in debt tend to ignore all the warnings that pile up.

I hope Tracey manages to get one over on the manipulative Tony (I never thought I'd be rooting for Tracey but I dislike Tony even more!). Tracey and Todd work well together in the shop.

My fear is that they are changing her now, and I won't like her anymore. She's acting very strangely recently.
    Mary's always been very strange lol. Dev knew that when he took her on but has become fond of her. I agree he and Julie are bending over backwards to try to placate her but most of us know how painful unrequited love is and they feel bad that she's hurting. Plus they don't want to lose someone who's totally trustworthy with the kids. I hope Mary gets over this soon and can be happy being part of the family.

That's what being independent means to me-you can still be in relationship.
    It's not the relationship that's the problem (unless it's with someone abusive), it's the way the women are depicted as being desperate for a man in their lives and seemingly constantly jumping from one bad relationship to the next. Using Carla as an example again, she set her sights on Peter (even though he was married to Leanne) and wouldn't give up until she had him (and the same with Liam before him). She's a strong character otherwise but becomes desperate when she there's a man she wants.

I don't know if you watch Eastenders, Mariba, but women being portrayed as unable to live without a man is something I've complained about several times in the EE thread. It's something that's long got on my nerves about soaps. Maidmarian and I've spoken before about the shocking statistics that young girls are more likely than ever to get into (and stay in) abusive relationships, and I'd like to see examples of strong women who can be happily single in soaps to counteract this somewhat (particularly the younger women).

In fairness though, I think EE is worse than Corrie in this way.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 15-01-2015 at 13:30.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (15-01-2015), maidmarian (15-01-2015), Perdita (15-01-2015), tammyy2j (15-01-2015)

David Platt always has good one liners and his delivery adds to the them

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-01-2015), parkerman (16-01-2015), Perdita (16-01-2015)

Maybe Tracey hadn't been opening her mail/email? People up to their eyes in debt tend to ignore all the warnings that pile up.

I hope Tracey manages to get one over on the manipulative Tony (I never thought I'd be rooting for Tracey but I dislike Tony even more!). Tracey and Todd work well together in the shop.

Mary's always been very strange lol. Dev knew that when he took her on but has become fond of her. I agree he and Julie are bending over backwards to try to placate her but most of us know how painful unrequited love is and they feel bad that she's hurting. Plus they don't want to lose someone who's totally trustworthy with the kids. I hope Mary gets over this soon and can be happy being part of the family.

It's not the relationship that's the problem (unless it's with someone abusive), it's the way the women are depicted as being desperate for a man in their lives and seemingly constantly jumping from one bad relationship to the next. Using Carla as an example again, she set her sights on Peter (even though he was married to Leanne) and wouldn't give up until she had him (and the same with Liam before him). She's a strong character otherwise but becomes desperate when she there's a man she wants.

I don't know if you watch Eastenders, Mariba, but women being portrayed as unable to live without a man is something I've complained about several times in the EE thread. It's something that's long got on my nerves about soaps. Maidmarian and I've spoken before about the shocking statistics that young girls are more likely than ever to get into (and stay in) abusive relationships, and I'd like to see examples of strong women who can be happily single in soaps to counteract this somewhat (particularly the younger women).

I've never watched Eastenders-not even when living in London-lol!! I just don't like it. But to be honest I don't think a single independent woman would be that interesting in soapland. I mean-what could they write for her if not relationships and misery?? I know it's self made female business millionaires that you're all after but how about the other end of the scale?? Where's the characters living only on social welfare?? Maybe someone who even wouldn't like to get a job??There's none on the streets and yet they are everywhere!

I've never watched Eastenders-not even when living in London-lol!! I just don't like it. But to be honest I don't think a single independent woman would be that interesting in soapland. I mean-what could they write for her if not relationships and misery?? I know it's self made female business millionaires that you're all after but how about the other end of the scale?? Where's the characters living only on social welfare?? Maybe someone who even wouldn't like to get a job??There's none on the street and yet they are everywhere in real life!
    Last edited by mariba; 16-01-2015 at 17:20.

I've never watched Eastenders-not even when living in London-lol!! I just don't like it. But to be honest I don't think a single independent woman would be that interesting in soapland. I mean-what could they write for her if not relationships and misery?? I know it's self made female business millionaires that you're all after but how about the other end of the scale?? Where's the characters living only on social welfare?? Maybe someone who even wouldn't like to get a job??There's none on the street and yet they are everywhere in real life!
    I'm not worried about social status and money to be honest, just the constant depiction of women seeing themselves as incomplete without a man (any man) on their arms, and often going to desperate lengths to achieve that. Or else they're victims of men (how many female victims of rape/sexual abuse/incest are there in our popular soaps?).

I'm all for equal relationships born out of lust or friendship, but it's the inability of characters (because this can also apply to the males) to be happy without being in a relationship that worries me. A woman can be happily independent from men even at the lower ends of the social scale.

You're right that relationship woes are bread and butter to soaps, and that soaps are hardly a realistic depiction of society, but a little more variation and inspiration would be nice. Still, that would give me less to complain about!
    Last edited by Dazzle; 16-01-2015 at 17:42.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

mariba (16-01-2015)

Thread Information