Page 534 of 1083 FirstFirst ... 344344845245325335345355365445846341034 ... LastLast
Results 5,331 to 5,340 of 10825

Thread: Coronation Street - Current Episode Discussion - IV

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    he likes steph's company

is carla going to take another fella from leanne in kal
    Well I am not a fan of Leanne and Kal so don't particularly mind if Carla takes him from her but I would prefer to see Carla on her own for a while building strong friendships if possible with the likes of Leanne and Roy, I do like Carla and Roy scenes especially

I don't know what to make of this Steve's depression storyline so far, I assumed the writers did adequate research as I don't think the writing for it so far is good imho

I must of missed yesterdays episode

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Well I am not a fan of Leanne and Kal so don't particularly mind if Carla takes him from her but I would prefer to see Carla on her own for a while building strong friendships if possible with the likes of Leanne and Roy, I do like Carla and Roy scenes especially

I don't know what to make of this Steve's depression storyline so far, I assumed the writers did adequate research as I don't think the writing for it so far is good imho
    I think the writing is good. Depression has many shapes and forms.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

mariba (03-12-2014), Perdita (21-11-2014)

Now it seems more like a mid life crisis with the sports car

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

lizann (22-11-2014), mariba (03-12-2014)

If I hear of someone with depression I will now think they are just an ars**le like Steve MacDonald.
    He has nothing to be depressed about, except being a very bad actor to a ridiculous storyline.
    Last edited by Snagglepus; 21-11-2014 at 20:59.

They have handled this storyline very badly. Millions of people watch this programme and they are sending out all the wrong messages about depression. When your depressed people who know you very well have an idea you are depressed. It obviously has different levels with different people who have different coping mechanisms. When I was depressed I could not get out of bed, was off from work, tearful all the time, consumed with sadness and could not look after my kids. My family had to step in. It was'nt that I was'nt bothered I just could'nt do basic things. My cancer a year later felt easier to cope with than depression as I had no control of my mind and feelings.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-11-2014), maidmarian (21-11-2014), parkerman (23-11-2014), tammyy2j (23-11-2014)

Sorry to hear you've suffered the hell of severe depression, Swm. I have too. I totally agree that it (and other mental health problems) are worse than physical illnesses, something that many non-sufferers cannot possibly imagine. You literally cannot function whilst in the midst of severe depression (for example even basic things like eat, drink, take care of your personal hygiene etc - in fact Tony commented on Steve's personal hygiene so he's not taking care of himself properly). I think that Steve is currently on a downward spiral and will get to that point if he's unable to seek help (as are many sufferers).

I don't feel this storyline is being handled as badly as you do though, I've got to be honest. I don't see Steve as being an ar**hole (as Snagglepus puts it) but as someone who can't cope with his life any more and is finding reasons to escape from it. I've seen this very behaviour in my own family. The fact that he's unable to articulate why he's behaving this way is causing his friends and family to think the worst, but I understand it.

Not being able to talk to Michelle in the car was classic depression from my point of view. It's been made obvious that he still loves her deep down, and he cannot understand why he can no longer maintain a relationship with her.

As for saying he has nothing to be depressed about, clinical depression's not just brought about by difficult circumstances (although stress makes it far more likely to happen of course), but by something going wrong medically with the brain/body. The mechanics of the illness are far from being properly understood today. I do think it's been well spelled out that Steve was stressed out by turning 40 and by Michelle and Liz's constant mocking (which has damaged his self-esteem).

I think Steve's currently in denial about being depressed. It's something many people are unable to admit to. In fact, some people lose everything because they can't admit to it.

I'm not saying it's the best depression storyline ever or anything, but I don't feel it's being portrayed totally inadequately either. I'm still hoping that the progression of the illness will be handled realistically. I guess it helps that I really like Steve and feel for him enormously.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 23-11-2014 at 17:22.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (23-11-2014), parkerman (23-11-2014), Perdita (24-11-2014)

Sorry you went through it too. Hope the storyline does progress as you say

13. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-11-2014)

Either Les Dennis is the worst actor ever to tread the cobbles, or his character Michael is the worst character ever to feature in Corrie. No, on the other hand - both statements are correct!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brucie For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-11-2014), Snagglepus (24-11-2014)

I thought he was good at the beginning but not so now.

Thread Information