Page 988 of 1083 FirstFirst ... 4888889389789869879889899909981038 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,880 of 10825

Thread: Coronation Street - Current Episode Discussion - IV

Isle of Widget.. well used to be more Southampton ish for now
    Anna screaming in the face of her teenage foster kid was awful, Faye needs to get away from that women, Tim needs to step up before Anna does something worse to the kid.

Steves is becoming a sick joke now, which is a shame, Steve was always when you dig deep a good guy, this new Steve is just a selfish tool. But then him sleeping with Leane never made any sense, he didnt pull her drunkenly in the pub he just popped round to hers and ....she wasnt drunk either?????????

Yeah as I read above, I see why we had this naff footballer story line, poor Kev Steve and Tim, I suspect they were pulled in on their day off to film this dross Ah well if it gets an alleged racist off our TV im all for it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Splashy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-10-2016), swmc66 (12-10-2016), tammyy2j (12-10-2016)

If Steve was anything normal, he would have got the test done quietly before going to say anything even to Michelle. But he's not, and this is soap so..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariba For This Useful Post:

parkerman (12-10-2016), swmc66 (12-10-2016)

I find it staggering that Andy, Steve's twin, was an afterthought and hadn't been told at the same time. It was only Liz mentioning him after Steve had been told and Andy still had yet to be told. Strange.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LouiseP For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-10-2016), lizann (12-10-2016), mariba (14-10-2016), Perdita (12-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by mariba View Post
    If Steve was anything normal, he would have got the test done quietly before going to say anything even to Michelle. But he's not, and this is soap so..
    Many people decide that they would rather not know whether they have inherited a condition or not, just because you think a normal person would do that doesn't mean that's how some else will see things. Steve is also well known for burying his head in the sand about things. It would however be a wise idea for anyone to at least make an appointment to see the doctor and get referred for genetic counselling, as at least then the decision can be discussed. Of course if in reality someone was in Steve's position you would expect them to think about the affect to their children but even if someone decided not to get tested it doesn't mean that the children can't get tested for the condition, so Tracy could get Amy tested if she wanted to as there is the chance she may have the condition. Of course Steve being tested would be easier as if it turned out he didn't have it there wouldn't be any need to test any of his children, but that would be up to Steve and would just hope that he would take into account the possible affect on his children.

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseP View Post
    I find it staggering that Andy, Steve's twin, was an afterthought and hadn't been told at the same time. It was only Liz mentioning him after Steve had been told and Andy still had yet to be told. Strange.
    Steve did say to Liz that Jim had told him to tell Andy, which I think is highly inconsiderate of Jim to expect Steve to do that. It is hard enough for someone to take in the possibility that they may have any condition and then to have the responsibility to tell everyone else is a bit unfair. If I was Steve I don't think that telling my twin brother would be my first thought, it would be to try and get my head around the fact there's a possibility that I could have inherited a condition and then worry about the actual impact if you did turn out to have the condition on you and your loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    The news must have come as a shock but it is only a possibility at this moment in time. The first thing I would have done is make an appointment with the doctor, which on Corrie is usually possible within a couple of hours and get expert opinion on what it could mean and get tests done asap.
    Certainly going to the doctor's would be a good idea to discuss the option of having a test. However you must be sure of your decision to want the test done before you make it as once you've got the test result you can't un-know it. For many people the decision to have the test would be an easy one but for many people it isn't, which is why I feel doing everything asap isn't always the best thing to do. There is no rush to know the result, neither Steve or Amy show any signs of the condition and there is still months till any of his unborn babies are born so in this instance I see know reason why that decision needs to be rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMonkey View Post
    Many people decide that they would rather not know whether they have inherited a condition or not, just because you think a normal person would do that doesn't mean that's how some else will see things. Steve is also well known for burying his head in the sand about things. It would however be a wise idea for anyone to at least make an appointment to see the doctor and get referred for genetic counselling, as at least then the decision can be discussed. Of course if in reality someone was in Steve's position you would expect them to think about the affect to their children but even if someone decided not to get tested it doesn't mean that the children can't get tested for the condition, so Tracy could get Amy tested if she wanted to as there is the chance she may have the condition. Of course Steve being tested would be easier as if it turned out he didn't have it there wouldn't be any need to test any of his children, but that would be up to Steve and would just hope that he would take into account the possible affect on his children.
    The trouble in this case is that Steve hasn't been burying his head in the sand - at least not since he told Michelle (and shortly thereafter his mother). He'd been thinking about and discussing a serious genetic condition he might have inherited with several people, with apparently no thought given to how it might affect his daughter. For most people with kids, upon hearing devastating news their first thought is how it might affect their offspring. Given that Steve isn't portrayed as a selfish or negligent father his reaction just doesn't ring true.

Also, his outright refusal to even contemplate having the test only happened when Leanne and Nick got involved.

I certainly understand that many people upon hearing such devastating news wouldn't be able to face thinking about it for a good while (perhaps even not until there's no other choice), but Steve had already been through and out the other end of that stage before Liz mentioned Amy.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 13-10-2016 at 18:05.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

lizann (13-10-2016), mariba (14-10-2016), parkerman (13-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMonkey View Post
    Certainly going to the doctor's would be a good idea to discuss the option of having a test. However you must be sure of your decision to want the test done before you make it as once you've got the test result you can't un-know it. For many people the decision to have the test would be an easy one but for many people it isn't, which is why I feel doing everything asap isn't always the best thing to do. There is no rush to know the result, neither Steve or Amy show any signs of the condition and there is still months till any of his unborn babies are born so in this instance I see know reason why that decision needs to be rushed.
    The health of your child is a major worry when pregnant. In my experience, the hormones rushing around my body put the safety of my unborn baby at the forefront of my mind for the whole nine months (and for some time after). So in Leanne and Michelle's shoes I'd also be desperate to know if there was a possibility of something serious being amiss.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 13-10-2016 at 17:38.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

mariba (14-10-2016), parkerman (13-10-2016), Perdita (13-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    The health of your child is a major worry when pregnant. In my experience, the hormones rushing around my body put the safety of my unborn baby at the forefront of my mind for the whole nine months (and for some time after). So in Leanne and Michelle's shoes I'd also be desperate to know if there was a possibility of something serious being amiss.
    I think in the interest of Amy it is most important to get a test done .. and I think it is better to get the result sooner rather than later as I donĀ“t think I could live with the uncertainty of any result for too long .. get it over and done with, then deal with whatever rather than burying your head in the sand because you are scared of the result ..

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (13-10-2016), mariba (14-10-2016), parkerman (13-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    The trouble in this case is that Steve hasn't been burying his head in the sand - at least not since he told Michelle (and shortly thereafter his mother). He'd been thinking about and discussing a serious genetic condition he might have inherited with several people, with apparently no thought given to how it might affect his daughter. For most people with kids, upon hearing devastating news their first thought is how it might affect their offspring. Given that Steve isn't portrayed as a selfish or negligent father his reaction just doesn't ring true.

Also, his outright refusal to even contemplate having the test only happened when Leanne and Nick got involved.

I certainly understand that many people upon hearing such devastating news wouldn't be able to face thinking about it for a good while (perhaps even not until there's no other choice), but Steve had already been though and out the other end of that stage before Liz mentioned Amy.
    We don't know that he wouldn't have told Tracy himself or that he hadn't thought of Amy at all, and even though I do agree that he probably only said no in that instant because Leanne and Nick were pushing him to get the test done we don't know that he would have on his own accord decided to have the test done. Even if he decided not to have the test it would not have done anything to the situation with Amy as there would be a chance that she would get it anyway and any doctor would take into account it being a possibility whether they knew Steve has it or not. Of course he would have to have told Tracy as it would be wrong for her not to know the risk to Amy but there's nothing that says for certainty that he wasn't going to, he probably wanted to make sure that he had his own head round it first, I certainly would want to make sure I understand the situation myself before letting my child know they could have this condition as how can you explain to a child if you can't even understand it enough yourself. Just because you start to tell a couple of people close to you does not mean that you have got your head anywhere near around it all. He shouldn't even consider not at least seeing a doctor about it as he can't get the information he needs without talking to someone who actually understands the condition. If I was in that position I would wait until I had seen the doctor and fully understand the situation before even thinking about telling barely anyone, at least then I could fully explain things myself. I still think he was burying his head in the sand to some extent, he wasn't ready at all when Leanne and Nick asked about the test to make up his mind on what he wanted, he was still partly in denial in my view and them forcing him has pushed him even more into denial.

Thread Information