Page 536 of 1083 FirstFirst ... 364364865265345355365375385465866361036 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,360 of 10825

Thread: Coronation Street - Current Episode Discussion - IV

I think his acting and storyline re depression must be getting to people. Even my elderly neighbour was angry about it the other day. Her husband had depression after retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    For a 'Thicko', as you put it, he has not done bad .... co-owner of 2 well-going businesses, several marriages showing the ladies like him and even though the marriages don't seem to last, that was not always his fault, especially his last one to Tracy

He has been a thicko since Fred Elliot left, that is when he began the silly voices and the gormless looks. Before that he was a Jack The Lad type person. He is supposed to be 40 years old not a kid.

Voice and certain looks don't make somebody a Thicko

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-11-2014), parkerman (28-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by LostVoodoo View Post
    Emily is on fire these days, anyone else notice her reference to Orange is the New Black?
    I sure did. She couldn't make it past the shower scene apparently! I haven't seen OITNB yet but it's on my list of things to watch. I can't imagine anything good happens in a prison shower scene...

Emily's getting quite adventurous in her viewing habits, what with this and Breaking Bad. I wonder what she'll try next?

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    I think his acting and storyline re depression must be getting to people. Even my elderly neighbour was angry about it the other day. Her husband had depression after retirement.
    Do you mean that in a good way or a bad way? Was your neighbour angry about the way it's been written/acted or about Steve's family bullying him?

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Voice and certain looks don't make somebody a Thicko
    Well said Perdy!! Plenty of people in real life hide behind a comedy persona. In fact, a surprisingly large percentage of comedians admit in later life to suffering mental health problems (eg Stephen Fry and poor Robin Williams). Comedy is a form of survival for them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (28-11-2014)

She was angry about how it was written and acted.

producers have been trying to present Steve as if he is stupid and others try and reinforce that all the time with their treatment of him, for example when he went on the course. I think he got an award for a comedy role in corrie recently. He was never a comedy character before. I would like the old steve back but find it hard to remember how he was. Need to watch an old episode...how far back do i go?

I agree that Steve's family and friends treat him as if he were stupid, but I don't see that he's being presented as stupid at all. I know he acts the buffoon but he's pretty savvy underneath. People tend to live up (or down) to how they're treated, and I think Steve's condition has been exacerbated greatly by being constantly undermined by those around him.

This obsession with the car is about him escaping from reality - something Lloyd even said to help reinforce it to viewers. When Steve's thinking about the car he doesn't need to think about his own life, which he sees as a total failure.

I agree there's something amiss if many viewers aren't recognising the significance of his behaviour, but I've seen many positive comments elsewhere on the internet too. In fact, I'd say the positive comments outweigh the negative.

As for how far you'd have to go to see Steve not acting the buffoon, I'd say many years. It's annoyed me for a long time that his character changed so much from the bad boy he used to be, but I think this storyline may be an attempt to explain that.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 28-11-2014 at 13:32.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (28-11-2014), parkerman (28-11-2014), Perdita (28-11-2014), sarah c (04-12-2014)

Not sure there is an explanation why he has changed from bad boy to the way he is now ... like to think he has grown up. And the depression storyline is quite accurate when I think about me a few years ago .. bits of pieces of it hit home very well .. we don't all experience any illness quite the same ..would probably be a lot easier to find a resolution if we did .....
    Last edited by Perdita; 28-11-2014 at 15:47.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-11-2014), Glen1 (28-11-2014), parkerman (28-11-2014)

My wife, who was a mental health nurse and then a consultant psychotherapist, is of the opinion that they are portraying his descent into full blown depression very well and very realistically. As you say, Perdy, not everyone experiences illnesses - especially mental illnesses - in the same way. So even people who have suffered from depression might have had different symptoms and don't see themselves in Steve, but that doesn't mean it's not right for some people. His obsession with the car is a classic symptom of just trying to escape from the reality of life. The attitude of his mother and Michelle are just driving him further into a feeling of worthlessness. It will be interesting to see how it pans out and I think it is very commendable of Corrie to take on this story.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-11-2014), Glen1 (28-11-2014), LostVoodoo (02-12-2014), mariba (03-12-2014), Perdita (28-11-2014), swmc66 (28-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    My wife, who was a mental health nurse and then a consultant psychotherapist, is of the opinion that they are portraying his descent into full blown depression very well and very realistically. As you say, Perdy, not everyone experiences illnesses - especially mental illnesses - in the same way. So even people who have suffered from depression might have had different symptoms and don't see themselves in Steve, but that doesn't mean it's not right for some people. His obsession with the car is a classic symptom of just trying to escape from the reality of life. The attitude of his mother and Michelle are just driving him further into a feeling of worthlessness. It will be interesting to see how it pans out and I think it is very commendable of Corrie to take on this story.
    I agree a lot of illnesses- mental & physical can
    display very varied symptoms.
    Each person who has experienced a particular
    illness themselves or in their family will remember
    how tbey felt and will think that typical and it is
    personally to them.
    Im all for awareness but wonder what impression
    those without experience are left with after Soaps
    dabble- without considering all options fully. But
    then soaps arent medical lectures!

I wont mention the Hayle Cancer storyline apart
    from saying it was an opportunity to publicise
    a less well known cancer. Which got sidetracked
    in a various ways and tho many fans upset-
    not much real knowledge gained.
    The producer has said Steves story will
    reach a conclusion/acceptance/ next stage
    after New Year.So quite a while to go and
    is hindered in some peoples perception by
    Michelle being such an unpopular character.

I do hope the story does have a believeable
    conclusion - as it is increasingly a very
    important issue in present times.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (28-11-2014)

Thread Information