Thread: 'Coronation Street' recasts Helen Connor

'Coronation Street' recasts Helen Connor

Coronation Street producers have been forced to recast the role of Helen Connor due to the unavailability of the original actress.

Sorcha Cusack has made several appearances since 2008 as Liam (Rob James-Collier) and Michelle Connor's (Kym Marsh) mother. However due to an unavoidable clash of schedules, the 60-year-old will now be replaced by Dearbhla Molloy.

Helen's screen husband Barry will be played by original actor Frank Grimes, who returned to filming with his 'new wife' on Friday. He and Molloy will appear on screen in early July.

Joking on his blog last week, Grimes said: "Well it is definite now... I am going back into Coronation Street. Start filming on Friday. I am to have a new wife though!"

A spokeswoman for the soap told DS: "It's always tricky when a character's not with us on a rolling basis. We always try our best to secure the return of the original actors but sometimes we are forced to recast, as has been the case with Helen."

Helen and Barry made their first appearance in Weatherfield in February 2008 to attend Liam and Maria's (Samia Smith) wedding. They briefly returned in the October on hearing the news of their son Liam's hit-and-run death.

They made another comeback a month later for their 40th wedding anniversary.

The pair were never seen in Weatherfield with their eldest son Paul (Sean Gallagher), who also died in a car accident.

I do not know this actress but this is what she looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Perdita; 19-05-2009 at 18:08.

Thread Information