Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry Lamb faces EastEnders axe as Archie Mitchell

Larry Lamb faces EastEnders axe as Archie Mitchell

EastEnders baddie Larry Lamb is being axed – as stars fear that bosses want a clearout to save cash.

Larry, 65 – evil grandad Archie Mitchell – will go despite being a hit with fans.

It comes after Kara Tointon and Ricky Groves were told in March their characters – on-off couple Dawn Swann and Garry Hobbs – were being written out.

Chiefs claim Archie, who joined last year, has run out of plotlines.

But a Walford insider said stars blamed cost cuts, adding: “These are difficult times. Everyone’s keeping their heads down and hoping they still have a job at the end of each month.”

Barbara Windsor – Archie’s screen wife Peggy – claimed budget cuts were ruining the show. The TV favourite, 71, said: “It’s really worrying, what’s going on with the cutbacks.

“As a result of the changes, I think we’re missing out on some of the things that made EastEnders so special.

“But we have to consider ourselves lucky to be in work at the moment.”

Archie was seen leaving the Square in April on his wedding day after Peggy learned the truth about him and asked son Phil to murder him.

The scheming OAP lied to daughter Ronnie that Danielle, the child she put up for adoption, was dead – when she was living with the Slaters. He also bedded Phil’s former lover Suzy. Viewers see him return next month and beg for forgiveness. But his stay will be short.

A second insider said: “After the things he’s done, there isn’t much more the writers can do with him. He’s peaked.

“He’s evil through and through, and even if he manages to wheedle his way back for a while, we can’t make him good. It would ruin the character.

“Everyone thinks Larry is great, but for storyline reasons he’s got to go.”

A show spokeswoman said: “Every BBC programme has to make savings. But viewers can be assured that every effort goes into making sure EastEnders is of the same high quality.”

Daily Mirror

If they don't kill him off, they could make another Nasty Nick out of his character and he pops up everytime they need a baddie, Nick can't keep coming back after what he is trying to do to Dot this time.
    Last edited by Perdita; 18-05-2009 at 07:21. Reason: Added source and comment :)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

sykegirl1 (18-05-2009), tammyy2j (18-05-2009)

I didn't know he was still in it. I thought he'd already gone...

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    I didn't know he was still in it. I thought he'd already gone...
    He is coming back next month, begging for forgiveness. By the look of things, he will be chased out of Walford, whether for good or not remains to be seen. I hope they don't kill him off

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

parkerman (18-05-2009), tammyy2j (18-05-2009)

Me neither. He was one of the best soap villains ever.

I hope they dont kill him off he is a great villian

I surprised they havent gone rid of some of the other talentless worthless characters Chelesa, Darren, The Massods, Libby, Denise, etc

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post

I surprised they havent gone rid of some of the other talentless worthless characters Chelesa, Darren, The Massods, Libby, Denise, etc
    The Masoods? They're great. The best thing to happen to Eastenders in years. Great characters. Great actors.
    Last edited by parkerman; 18-05-2009 at 10:17.

They wont get rid of him, they know that he can keep the viewers coming back, how on earth can they run out of plots, he hasn't even been in it that long and there is so much we don't know about his back ground, its the same rumour as yesterday with Billy, it will be denied later today.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post

The Masoods? They're great. The best thing to happen to Eastenders in years. Great characters. Great actors.
    I agree, the Masoods are fantastic, especially with Syed now in Walford. The only one I would not miss would be Chelsea and Denise, all other characters at the moment are fine imo.

Ah get rid of him, his charcter is over, couldn't careless now. It ended with the Danielle storyline!

There is no point to bring him back for a couple of episodes to beg forgiveness then disapear again. They would be better to just shelve the idea of him coming back at all. Or they could get rid of Peggy, Chelsea and a few more planks of wood to pay Larry's salary.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information