Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawyer to visit pregnant prisoner in Laos

Lawyer to visit pregnant prisoner in Laos

A UK human rights lawyer has flown to Laos to assist a pregnant Briton who faces possible death by firing squad, if convicted of drug smuggling.

Prosecutors say Samantha Orobator, 20, of London, was in possession of 1.5lb (680g) of heroin when she was arrested at Wattay airport, Laos, last August.

Her trial has been brought forward and is due to start this week.

Legal charity Reprieve said its lawyer, Anna Morris, has been given permission to see Miss Orabator on Tuesday.

Miss Orobator has been held at Phonthong prison in the east Asian country since last August.

She became pregnant in the prison in December and is due to give birth in September.

Reprieve says authorities in Laos have brought the trial forward a year to avoid her having proper legal representation.

Reprieve says the decision to reschedule the trial was only taken after arrangements were made for her to see a lawyer for the first time.

The charity said she managed to make contact with their London office on Sunday and said she had been told the trial would start on Monday morning.

Ms Morris flew into the country on Sunday after permission was granted to meet Miss Orobator on Tuesday.

Ms Morris told the BBC: "Things are moving quickly. We found out only this morning that the trial wasn't going to take place today [Monday], but we still have no more information as to when it will take place.

"We're very keen to receive confirmation from the Lao authorities as to what is going to happen this week and when.

"We are of course concerned, given that the prison conditions are well documented, we are concerned for her welfare, and we are concerned for the sort of nutrition she's receiving, but we'll know more once we've seen her.

"But at this point we can certainly say that we're very concerned."

In Laos, anyone caught with more than 1lb (500g) of heroin faces a mandatory death sentence.

At least 39 people have been sentenced to death in Laos since 2003.

Reprieve director Clive Stafford Smith said of the pregnant Briton: "There can hardly be a circumstance where scheduling a capital trial is less appropriate.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) said British Embassy officials, including the Ambassador, have visited Miss Orobator a total of six times since her arrest.

Jane Orobator says she is scared about her daughter's situation
    British officials said these visits had been limited to a period of about 20 minutes once a month.

There is no British Embassy in Laos and the nearest is in the Thai capital, Bangkok. The Foreign Office only learned of her arrest when Australian authorities passed on information from another prison inmate.

The FCO reiterated the government's opposition to the death penalty "in all circumstances".

An FCO spokesman said: "In cases where a British national faces charges that carry the death penalty or has been sentenced to death, we make representations at whatever stage and level is deemed appropriate.

"We take every opportunity to make representations to the Lao authorities about our opposition to the death penalty."

Miss Orobator was born in Nigeria and lived in south London from the age of eight. Her father lives in Nigeria and her mother and three sisters live in the Irish Republic.

She had been on holiday in Thailand and the Netherlands before travelling to Laos.

Her mother Jane Orobator said she was "so scared" about her daughter's situation.

"I'm just appealing to the British government, to the Laos authorities, to just please release her. They should just bring her back to me."

Mrs Orobator added that she has no idea why her daughter was in Laos.

Mrs Orobator last heard from her daughter in July, when she was on holiday in Holland.

Hope they can save her life and that of the baby. Was she raped by a prison guard to fall pregnant?

Not tryin to be nasty but other countries have different things to us. If she was found with drugs then at the end of the day she has to face the consequences. Yes the death sentance is a bit stupid but that is what they do in that country and obviously if she hadnt have broken the law she wouldnt be in the situation she is in.

Although i do think it is weird how she got pregnant in prison.
    I figured out why I'm so fat!!! The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says "for extra volume and body" on the bottle. I'm going to start using dishwasher liquid, cos it says "removes fat that is otherwise difficult to remove" on the bottle!

Call me hard hearted but I have no sympathy for her.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (05-05-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by miccisy View Post
    If she was found with drugs then at the end of the day she has to face the consequences.

Although i do think it is weird how she got pregnant in prison.
    At the end of the day she was found with drugs on her... and thinking of all the damage drugs can do to people, she should face some punishment... but the death penalty??? Not sure about that... I personally couldn't condemn someone to death.

I agree about her becoming pregnant in jail.... I heard on the news, that there were some serious concerns about the circumstances surrounding her pregnancy... she is in afterall one of the 'roughest' prisons in the world...
    Last edited by Pinkbanana; 04-05-2009 at 21:18.

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Call me hard hearted but I have no sympathy for her.
    Me either.. if she was smuggling drugs then she should have known what would happen if caught. I am concerned about how she became pregnant in prison but she should be punished for her crime
    Super Mod

I am against the death penalty but if she was smuggling drugs then she should serve her sentance in that country. You would have to be living on planet mars to know that coutries like Thiland have strict laws against crimes like drug trafficking. If you can't do the time don't comit the crime.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

alan45 (05-05-2009), Debs (05-05-2009), Pinkbanana (08-05-2009), Siobhan (05-05-2009)

So far, I have not found out how the drugs got into her luggage, whether she knew they were there or not, they might have been planted on her. And I agree with her needing to be punished if she was smuggling, but to shoot her is wrong, and I am concerned how she got pregnant.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Pinkbanana (08-05-2009)

To shoot her while she's pregnant is wrong. She committed a crime in another country, she should face the penalty there. I don't agree with the dealth penalty on the whole but it's common knowledge that countries in the region have very tough punishments for crimes.

Seriously though, you don't get 1.5lb of class A drugs in your luggage and not know about it.

She could have been forced to?

Saying that, smuggling drugs is stupid and if she did this voluntarily then she should be punished. However I do not agree with the death penalty at all.

But serious questions need to be raised over how she got pregnant. Probability is she was raped - is the person who did this to her being punished? (If not, this is a very hypocritical system) Is this why she is being refused a lawyer?

And what is going to happen to the baby when it is born?
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

I don't know what they would do with the baby. Over here if a mother is in Jail while pregnant the child is taken into care or given to relatives to watch but the authorties are being very quiet on how she got pregnant.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information