Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
. If they are persistantly absent from school stop their free school meals and clothing allowance. Parents will soon do something about their kids when they are having to cough up.
I do agree the buck starts and stops with the parents... I often think (regarding your above point) had parents should have their child benefit etc.. taken away if they constantly bring their child in late to school. As a teacher, I often have several children turning up late, one often rolls in around 10.30(!!!) because neither parent can be bothered getting out of bed.

If they thought their benefits were at stake, it might give them the added incentive (shame that wanting your child to have an education isnt a strong enough incentive) to get up on time, as the current taking them to court (they get around this by saying they are going to home tutor their children, so the case against them is dropped, and they suddenly have a change of heart and decide to return the child to school) is a big joke to some of these parents. I for one, can't help but think these children with parents, like I and others have mentioned above) haven't got a cat in hells chance....