Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music News Thread

Lynyrd Skynyrd bass player Donald 'Ean' Evans has died of cancer at his home in Mississippi, aged 48.

A statement on the band's website announced the musician's death with "profound sadness".

"Ean put up a valiant battle with an aggressive form of cancer and he will be sorely missed by family, friends and fans," it read.

Evans was born in Atlanta but moved to Mississippi after marrying his wife, Eva. He joined the band in 2001 and toured with them until 2008 when he was diagnosed with cancer.

His death comes just a few months after the passing of Skynyrd keyboardist Billy Powell, in January.

Only 48 years old. RIP Donald

Winehouse abandons 'embarrassing' gig

Amy Winehouse abandoned her comeback concert in St Lucia last night after the island was hit by torrential rain, it has emerged.

The troubled singer had earlier claimed that she was "fine and raring to go" ahead of the gig at the St Lucia Jazz Festival.

However, poor weather conditions meant that Winehouse was forced to scrap the concert halfway through, her spokesperson explained.

The representative said: "Amy would like to express her disappointment that weather forced the abandonment of her show at the St Lucia Jazz Festival last night.

"The set started well, but as the heavens opened, a number of technical difficulties occurred on stage, culminating with the lighting rig failing for two songs.

"In addition, rain began to flood the technical wings at the side of the stage which caused sound problems. Amy and the band tried to soldier on but the set had to be cut short."

Fans who attended the brief concert have complained that Winehouse's performance was not up to par. It is believed that she frequently forgot her lyrics, appeared unstable on her feet and even walked off stage during one song.

One onlooker, named Kathy, told the BBC: "It was disappointing, it is very sad to see, but she is obviously not fit to be on stage. I was hoping for better; it's embarrassing."

Another, called Natasha, commented: "She was on a different planet."

Winehouse has spent much of her time on St Lucia since leaving the UK to holiday there at Christmas. She is now said to be recording her third album on the island.

Same Difference: 'Label axe was hasty'

Same Difference have claimed that Simon Cowell lost faith in their potential to sell records too quickly.

The sibling duo were snapped up by the music mogul's SyCo label in early 2008 after finishing in third place on The X Factor's fourth series.

However, the pair discovered that they had been dropped by the label last month following disappointing sales of their debut album Pop and single 'We R One'.

Speaking about the decision in an interview with The News, Sean Smith admitted: "We still think there were four or five more great songs on the album that could have been singles and helped to sell a lot more copies of the album, but that's the music industry."

Meanwhile, his sister Sarah has insisted that the axing will prove to be a blessing in disguise - as they felt restricted by Cowell's wishes.

She commented: "It's not a bad thing actually. Now we can take our album to Asia or Australia where pop music is particularly thriving. We can do what we want because our management doesn't have to run everything past SyCo."

X Factor's 2007 winner Leon Jackson was also dropped by Cowell in March.

They should never have been signed in the first place

Burke feels 'isolated and lonely' in LA

Alexandra Burke has reportedly started feeling homesick as she records her debut album in the United States.

The X Factor winner is said to have asked her sister Shaniece to join her in Los Angeles to help combat her loneliness.

"Alexandra is really enjoying putting her album together but doesn't know many people in Los Angeles," a source told The Sun.

"She's finding the experience a little isolating so was relieved Sheniece agreed to travel over for a visit."

The 20-year-old star last month met up with producers including Timbaland, Red One and Jay-Z. She is also reportedly in talks with Beyonce to record a duet. burke

The pair's rendition of 'Listen' on The X Factor was voted the most memorable reality moment of the year at the Digital Spy 2009 Reality TV Awards in April.

JLS promise 'surprising' new direction

JLS have claimed that their fans will be "pleasantly suprised" by their debut single.

The X Factor runners up signed a recording contract with Epic in January and will release 'Beat Again' on July 13.

"It's not what people might expect to hear - we hope that they will be pleasantly surprised," they told the Daily Star.

The group, which comprises Aston Merrygold, Marvin Humes, Jonathan 'JB' Gill and Oritsé Williams, lost out to Alexandra Burke in the fifth series of the reality show last year.

'Beat It' was given its first radio play last week on Trevor Nelson's 1Xtra radio show.

Eminem: 'I considered suicide'

Eminem has admitted that he nearly took his own life at the height of his addiction problems.

The rapper, who releases his new album Relapse next week, claimed that he almost committed suicide after drug and alcohol dependency ruined his personal life.

"I just wasn't taking care of myself. At times I wanted to just give it up," he said while filming an interview for Friday Night With Jonathan Ross.

"I was in a dark place. I wanted to pull back from the spotlight to reassess my whole career. I got sober but it was pretty rough. A couple of years were bad for me," he added.

The 'We Made You' star recently revealed that on a different occasion he almost died of an overdose of methadone.

Paul Rodgers has left Queen after five years in the band.

The singer joined original members Brian May and Roger Taylor in 2004 to form the reunited version of the group.

Rodgers told Billboard that he has no animosity towards May and Taylor and said that his "arrangement" as Queen's frontman was "never meant to be a permanent" one.

The musician also said that he would be open to working with them again in the future.

"It's kind of an open book, really. If they approach me to do something for charity, for instance, or something like that...I'd be very much into doing that, for sure," he said.

With Rodgers as a member, Queen embarked on two full-length tours and recorded two live DVDs. The band also released their first album since 1995 with 2004's The Cosmos Rocks.

"The Cosmos Rocks was very historical for Brian May and Roger Taylor because they hadn't gone into the studio with anybody and recorded something like that for a very long time. So it was quite an achivement, I think," Rodgers said of the LP.

Blink-182 make surprise live return

Reformed pop-punk trio Blink-182 made a surprise live return at a private party in Hollywood last night.

Mark Hoppus, Tom DeLonge and Travis Barker played their first gig together in five years at Paramount Pictures. Weezer, DJ-Am and Barker performed scheduled shows earlier on in the evening.

Writing on his blog, Hoppus described the event as "one of the best nights of my life".

"The whole thing was a secret," he said. "Travis and DJ-AM were already scheduled to perform, and as a surprise ending, Blink-182 came out at the very end and played a few songs.

"Thanks to everyone who was there. Thanks to T-Mobile and most of all thanks to Travis and Tom. You are my brothers and it feels amazing to share the stage with you once again."

Blink-182 announced that they were reuniting and working on new material at this year's Grammys. The group sold 12 million albums between 1992 and 2005, which spawned the hits 'All The Small Things', 'I Miss You' and 'The Rock Show'.

Gallagher pens new Oasis material

Noel Gallagher has started writing new songs during the South American leg of Oasis's world tour.

The guitiarist revealed that instead of going out to party with the band he preferred to stay in and work on new material.

"Had to scarper after the gig. Would have loved to have stayed and relived the 90s but the writing bug has gripped me," he wrote on the group's MySpace page.

"Nearly wrote five new songs on this leg alone! Got to get them down while it's still happening."

The star previously claimed that Oasis were a "rudderless group" going through "bad times".

Meanwhile, Liam Gallagher has insisted that the band would split if any of them attempted solo projects.

Whitney Houston readies new album

Whitney Houston is close to finishing her comeback album, reports say.

The singer is reportedly adding the final touches to her much-anticipated seventh studio outing Undefeated, according to Hip Hop RX.

Promotional photographs of a potential album cover leaked on to the internet last week, while the first track from the album, 'I Didn’t Know My Own Strength', is expected to be given airplay in the near future.

The song is written by Diane Warren, who penned hit singles for Celine Dion, Aerosmith and Toni Braxton. Music mogul Clive Davis has also confirmed that there will be a duet featuring R. Kelly on the LP.

Houston's career has suffered in recent years amid marriage troubles and drug allegations, but she made a singing comeback at a pre-Grammy Awards party for Davis in February.

Thread Information