Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbours General News Thread

It all happened so quickly didn't it? Like Aliens had swapped Declans! Would have been better if the character had gone away for a while.

Exactly! Its all wrong the way they have gone about doing it

Neighbours has suffered from its lowest-ever ratings in Australia.

The long-running soap, which celebrates its 25th anniversary and 6,000th episode soon, has dropped 20% from having 1.2 million viewers in 1991 to a record low audience of 618,000.

A spokesperson for the network told The Daily Telegraph: "Most of the show's budget is covered by its UK deal with Channel Five and the 50-odd other countries it is seen in, so it's not a financial problem for Ten despite the low ratings.

"And Ten needs the show to score the Australian content and drama points required for it to hold on to a broadcasting licence."

The Aussie TV show launched the careers of stars such as Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Natalie Imbruglia and Kylie Minogue.

Neighbours' executive producer Susan Bower has encouraged fans to step up their support for the soap amid its current ratings slump in Australia.

In recent months, the Ramsay Street serial has been attracting some of its lowest ever figures on Channel Ten, despite the current build-up to the show's milestone 6,000th episode.

Writing on the drama's official website, Bower remarked: "You may have read in the paper that Neighbours is not enjoying the popularity that it once did so it's time all you loyal fans band together to celebrate this wonderful show.

"Why don't you write some emails to your favourite cast? Tell them how much you like their characters and why. They'd love it."

Speaking about what the future holds for Erinsborough's residents, the show boss teased: "Over the past few months we've been filming some 'must see' episodes. The whole Steph and Toad secret just keeps getting more and more complicated. It's only a matter of time before the whole thing explodes.

"I've seen what happens, and believe you me it's shocking. I was holding my breath whilst watching it and I knew what was coming! I must applaud the cast for outstanding performances. They put their hearts and souls into it. The actors love to get their teeth into this amazing drama."

Reports recently stated that Neighbours' future on Ten is secure as the network needs to keep transmitting the soap to meet its Australian content quotas. Additionally, most of the programme's budget is covered by deals with international broadcasters.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (14-07-2010)

Paul Robinson is to play a central role in Neighbours' milestone 6,000th episode, executive producer Susan Bower has confirmed.

Writing on the soap's official website, Bower announced that the forthcoming special edition will feature a twist involving the Ramsay Street villain, marking the long history that his portrayer Stefan Dennis has had with the programme.

The show boss explained: "Last week I saw episode 6,000. This marks Australian television history. The 6,000th episode falls on a Friday so the whole week is a special one.

"As Stefan Dennis - Paul Robinson - was in the first episode 25 years ago, it was decided that his character play a most important role in this very special event.

"Paul Robinson, or P.R as we like to call him, has been up to his usual tricks over the past few weeks and everyone on Ramsay Street is becoming really sick of him. What will they do about it?"

Bower had previously hinted at a storyline involving Paul for the 6,000th episode, but had not officially confirmed the plot until now. Additionally, Alan Fletcher - who plays Karl Kennedy - has teased that the instalment sees "something rather unpleasant" happen to an iconic character.

Neighbours' 6,000th edition will also see on-off lovers Ringo Brown (Sam Clark) and Donna Freedman (Margot Robbie) tie the knot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-07-2010)

Neighbours star Sam Clark has announced that he is leaving the soap to concentrate on his music career.

The actor will film his final scenes later this month after three years in the role of Ramsay Street's Ringo Brown.

Speaking of his forthcoming departure, Clark told the Herald Sun: "I love acting and I'm definitely going to strive for further success in that part of my life, however music has always been a passion and I want to give it my all right now."

The 22-year-old has already released two singles in Australia - 'Broken' and 'Send Me A Sign' - while his third, titled 'Devastated', will follow later this year.

News of Clark's upcoming exit comes just a few months after he admitted that his musical ambitions had left his future with Neighbours uncertain.

Reports suggest that the star will fly out to the UK to promote his new career soon after he films his last scenes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-07-2010)

Alan Fletcher has said that he hopes Neighbours bosses bring in more members from the Kennedy family.

Fletcher's character Karl currently has only one child residing in Ramsay Street, Libby Kennedy.

Fletcher told Inside Soap: "It would be fantastic to have any Kennedy back - there are an awful lot of them now!

"I keep expecting to open my scripts and read that there's a knock on my door, and Karl finds his little daughter Holly outside with a note from Izzy asking him to look after her!"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-07-2010)

Holly Valance has revealed that she turned down the opportunity to return to Neighbours.

The 27-year-old, who originally played Felicity 'Flick' Scully between 1999 and 2002, refused to accept an invitation from show bosses to be part of the show's 25th anniversary, says The Daily Telegraph.

She stated: "They're always going to have the anniversaries, so they'll probably call again for the 30th."

Valance added about her recent lack of work: "I'm being naughty and unemployed and not worrying too much about it."

Natalie Bassingthwaighte has become a mother for the first time.

The award-winning Australian singer, television presenter and former Neighbours star, whose partner is former Rogue Traders bandmate Cameron McGlinchey, welcomed daughter Harper Rain Sinclair McGlinchey yesterday afternoon.

According to the Herald Sun, the baby was born at a private hospital in Melbourne weighing 3.22kg.

Her manager Mark Byrne said last night: "Natalie Bassingthwaighte is a mum. Mum and daughter are both perfect."

Bassingthwaighte admitted last year: "Starting a family is one of my biggest goals. I would love that, it would complete everything."

McGlinchey recently said: "For us, it was always about the time being right. Now the time is right. It's an opportunity to bring something good into the world."

Neighbours star Blake O'Leary has left the soap after three years in the role of Ramsay Street youngster Ben Fitzgerald.

Australian viewers will see the actor's alter ego bow out next month as he leaves his old life behind to attend a boarding school for the gifted.

Ben's departure storyline comes after his mum Libby (Kym Valentine) makes the surprise discovery that he is a genius.

According to a report on the Perfect Blend fansite, while there are currently no plans for the character to return, there is a possibility that he could be recast in the future.

A spokesperson for Neighbours' UK broadcaster Five today confirmed to DS that O'Leary has left the show.

O'Leary's real-life brother Fletcher - who played Ned Parker's son Mickey - was also written out of the programme last year.

Thread Information