Hollyoaks star Kieron Richardson has agreed to become a patron of the Manchester Pride festival.

The 25-year-old's new commitment will see him represent the festival throughout the year, including during its ten-day programme of arts, music and cultural events which take place in August.

Manchester Pride is an annual Gay Pride celebration which attracts thousands of spectators and centres around a 72-hour party on the August bank holiday weekend each year.

Discussing his appointment, Richardson told the festival's official website: "I am honoured to have been asked to get involved. Being a Manchester lad, it's exciting to be involved in something so central to Manchester's culture.

"I hope I can bring something fun, fresh and exciting to the table and I look forward to working with fellow patrons Antony [Cotton] and Christopher [Biggins]."

The actor revealed that he is gay in a TV interview last year, shortly before viewers saw his Hollyoaks character Ste Hay embark on a turbulent relationship with boss Brendan Brady (Emmett Scanlan).

Speaking of Richardson's new role, Manchester Pride's festival director Jackie Crozier added: "The patrons play an important part in the success of Manchester Pride - helping to promote the cause and act as figureheads for our charity work.

"We are delighted to be welcoming Kieron on board. As a young gay man playing a gay role in a national soap, he has helped to raise awareness of the issues facing the LGBT community."