Page 51 of 95 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronation Street General News Thread

Coronation Street's 50th anniversary appeal raised over £150,000 for charity, the soap has announced today.

As the show reached its milestone birthday last year, bosses and cast members launched a series of fundraising events to bring in cash for Cancer Research UK, the NSPCC and The Christie cancer centre in Manchester.

Coronation Street has now donated £50,000 to each of the charities, which were chosen by the cast in a democratic vote last year.

Initiatives used to raise funds included a charity auction and gala dinner.

Coronation Street's executive producer Kieran Roberts commented: "We're delighted fundraising initiated by the Coronation Street cast during the 50th anniversary year has generated £50,000 for each of the charities.

"We felt raising money for charities during the anniversary year would be a tangible way of celebrating Coronation Street's heritage."

Coronation Street star Kate Ford is joining forces with a number of other celebrities to record a charity single, it has been announced.

The actress, who plays Weatherfield schemer Tracy Barlow, will add her vocals to a new version of The Pretenders' 'I'll Stand By You' to help raise funds for The Ryan Stanford Appeal.

Ryan Stanford is a 3-year-old boy from Lancaster who has the terminal illness Alpers Syndrome. His parents have set up the appeal to fund research into the rare disease.

Ford commented: "Although I have an incredibly busy working schedule, I am absolutely delighted to have been asked to support such a worthwhile charity, The Ryan Stanford Appeal.

"I am very much looking forward to recording for the charity CD, from which all the proceeds will go into researching Ryan's condition, Alpers Disease. I know the CD, 'I'll Stand By You', a song for Ryan, will touch people's hearts."

Schoolgirl Amy Jo Clough, 14, will take lead vocals on the single, while other celebrities involved in the track include X Factor hopeful Carolynne Poole, Britain's Got Talent star Steve Hall and Bargain Hunt expert Paul Hayes.

Coronation Street outgunned EastEnders again in the Monday evening ratings war with more drama for Carla and Frank, according to overnight audience data.

ITV1's Coronation Street averaged 8.94m (39.7%) from 7.30pm as Carla sent Frank reeling after she said that she can't marry him. Carla's trauma after Frank lost control was seen by 9.44m (38.8%) from 8.30pm.

EastEnders appealed to 8.44m (35.2%) on BBC One from 8pm, as Jodie uncovered Darren and Lauren's drunken night of passion. A further 675k (3.5%) caught BBC Three's repeat screening from 10pm.

On Emmerdale, 7.11m (34.8%) tuned in on ITV1 from 7pm and 129k (0.5%) on +1, as Amy downed alcohol as her troubled time continued.

Elsewhere, Hollyoaks managed 1.46m (7.5%) on Channel 4 from 6.30pm and 124k (0.5%) on +1, before E4's first look at the next episode pulled in 513k (2.5%).

Doctors averaged 1.67m (22.6%) on BBC One from 1.45pm, while Neighbours had 688k (9.3%) on Channel 5. The Aussie drama also fetched 1.23m (8.1%) for the repeat from 5.30pm.

Home and Away managed 830k (4.6%) on Channel 4 from 6.30pm, before 5*'s first look at the next episode pulled in 447k (2.3%).

Coronation Street star Helen Flanagan has suffered a panic attack on set.

The 21-year-old actress, who plays Rosie Webster in the long-running soap, reportedly sparked fears for her health when she stopped mid-scene, hyperventilated and clutched at her chest. Production staff later took her to her dressing room to calm down and be given the all-clear by medical personnel.

An industry insider told the Daily Star: "It was very distressing for everyone to watch. She's a young, bubbly girl and was in a right state. It came on all of a sudden. It was very scary for Helen and for everyone else in the studio."

Flanagan apparently admitted to Coronation Street bosses that she has experienced a few panic attacks in the last few weeks, but does not know the cause.

A spokesperson for Coronation Street said last night: "Helen has experienced a number of panic attacks recently. It is something she is trying to deal with to move forward."

Flanagan, who is currently dating Swansea City footballer Scott Sinclair, recently said of her colleagues: "I love the people at my work. So many people here are understanding and make me laugh. I'm very lucky."

Flanagan was recently given her own online spin-off show called Just Rosie, which follow her as she tries to reach her career dream of being a fashion model.

The Coronation Street actress who plays Emily Bishop set herself alight during filming earlier this week.

Eileen Derbyshire, who received an MBE last year after 50 years in the ITV soap, was shooting a scene for special Bonfire Night episodes when she got too close to a candle and set the arm of her shawl on fire.

The production team had to run on set and spray her with a fire extinguisher and the 80-year-old was then taken to her dressing room to receive treatment from a doctor.

One source told The Mirror: "It was a scary moment for Eileen. She got too close to the tea-light candle and her clothes went up in flames. She was lucky someone on the crew acted so quickly. Thankfully, she didn't get burned but the costume was ruined so the scene had to be completely reshot.

"It was hardly the biggest scene for November 5. There are others which have fires and fireworks in them so it's amazing this one caused such a problem."

The incident reportedly resulted in filming being called off for most of the afternoon, but Derbyshire has recovered and is now back at work.

A Coronation Street spokesperson confirmed the fire last night but added: "It was a minor incident and no one was in serious danger at any time."

Coronation Street star Alison King has reportedly become engaged to her boyfriend.

Sound technician Adam Huckett proposed to the actress in Paris and she immediately said yes, according to The People.

King, who plays Carla Connor, called her family to tell them the good news as she continues her late summer break in the French capital, after recently visiting Ibiza.

A friend said: "She is over the moon. They've been together three years and Alison is sure Adam's the one for her. They're very much in love."

The couple, who met in 2007, have a daughter together - 2-year-old Daisy.

Another source added: "Adam's a brilliant dad to Daisy. They are very happy, loving parents and this engagement is the icing on the cake for Alison."

King recently admitted that Carla's dramatic storylines have left her "physically and mentally exhausted".

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Coronation Street star Helen Flanagan has suffered a panic attack on set.

The 21-year-old actress, who plays Rosie Webster in the long-running soap, reportedly sparked fears for her health when she stopped mid-scene, hyperventilated and clutched at her chest. Production staff later took her to her dressing room to calm down and be given the all-clear by medical personnel.

An industry insider told the Daily Star: "It was very distressing for everyone to watch. She's a young, bubbly girl and was in a right state. It came on all of a sudden. It was very scary for Helen and for everyone else in the studio."

Flanagan apparently admitted to Coronation Street bosses that she has experienced a few panic attacks in the last few weeks, but does not know the cause.

A spokesperson for Coronation Street said last night: "Helen has experienced a number of panic attacks recently. It is something she is trying to deal with to move forward."

Flanagan, who is currently dating Swansea City footballer Scott Sinclair, recently said of her colleagues: "I love the people at my work. So many people here are understanding and make me laugh. I'm very lucky."

Flanagan was recently given her own online spin-off show called Just Rosie, which follow her as she tries to reach her career dream of being a fashion model.
    Coronation Street star Helen Flanagan has said that she hopes to discover what triggers her panic attacks so that she can begin trying to deal with them.

The actress, who plays Rosie Webster, confirmed reports that she recently suffered one of the attacks while filming the ITV1 soap. Writing on Twitter, she said that she was "getting them under control".

Flanagan, 21, told The Mirror: "I have recently suffered a few panic attacks. And as anyone who has ever suffered from them knows, they are very scary.

"I did have one at work and everyone was very understanding but I didn't know what might have caused it. I am speaking to people like Kym Marsh (Michelle Connor) who has said that in the past she suffered from them too."

Flanagan continued: "I am trying to work out what triggers them so that I can start to deal with them and move forward. But I am starting to realise that they are more common than people think and that there are ways of dealing with them."

Rosie Webster takes centre stage in a new online Coronation Street spinoff, which follows her attempts at launching a modelling career in London.

Coronation Street's recent rape storyline has helped influence real life victims to call the helpline Rape Crisis.

The helpline has reported an 800% increase in calls since the storyline aired, in which businessman Frank Foster (Andrew Lancel) raped his fiancée Carla Connor (Alison King) on the eve of their wedding, after she attempted to call it off.

Rape Crisis have had to employ more volunteers to take the extra amount of calls, and have praised the episode, which was aired pre-watershed.

Rosa Knight, Helpline Coordinator at Rape Crisis South London said: "Though other programmes have run similar storylines, the response for the Coronation Street storyline has been like nothing we've experienced before.

"It is so important for mainstream shows to tackle these important issues in a well-researched way and it appears the programme makers worked hard to do just that."

Rape victim Sarah Scott also praised the storyline, telling The Sun: "Most rapists are people the victims know and I think it is important for women to realise this. That's why Carla's story is so realistic. I think it's vital that women watch scenes like this on TV to remind them that, sadly, rape is not unusual.

"Even though it doesn't make easy viewing, I think it is vital for soaps such as Coronation Street to tackle these hard-hitting storylines. I believe the agony we saw Carla suffering will help other women realise it is not their fault and they must report it and seek counselling."

Kym Marsh recently praised Lancel for his portrayal as Foster during the storyline.

yes i think they have done it very well there but it has took them long time to get it sorted out after maria

Michelle Keegan has said that she and fiancé Max George have no time to plan their wedding.

The couple, who began dating last December, became engaged earlier in the summer when The Wanted star proposed on set of the ITV1 soap.

However, the Coronation Street actress told The Mirror that their busy schedules meant that they had not had time to discuss their plans.

"I've been busy with work and he's been touring so we haven't even sat down and spoke about it yet," Keegan admitted.

"He's been away a lot recently, Australia, Singapore, Denmark. He comes home for one night here and there. I should have gone to Madrid this week, but I couldn't go because of work."

Keegan, who was named 'Sexiest Female' at the Inside Soap Awards earlier this week, said that she and George keep in touch online.

"We Skype though, and he knows I work and I know he works. It works, it's fine," the 24-year-old added.

Thread Information