Page 45 of 95 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronation Street General News Thread

She might just have to leave the cobbles

Jennie McAlpine, who plays Fiz in Coronation Street, met the teenagers and staff from the Teenage Cancer Trust unit at the Christie Hospital in Manchester. Jennie was joined by Nichols plc, the company behind Vimto. The visit marked the start of an exciting new partnership between Nichols and Teenage Cancer Trust.

Teenage Cancer Trust supporter Jennie McAlpine said: “It has been fantastic to meet all the kids at the Christie and see the incredible work the Teenage Cancer Trust are doing every day. It is great to hear that the teenagers get a chance to have fun even during difficult times and that the support from Nichols will help this to continue.”

Coronation Street boss Phil Collinson has revealed he would "love" Julie Walters to appear in the soap.

Speaking to Matt Johnson for This Morning, Collinson also named his favourite characters and storylines from rival soaps.

When asked for which "dream" cast member from the past he would bring back, he replied: "I'm a massive fan of Hilda Ogden. You loved it when she was in an episode. I'd love it if Jean Alexander decided to come back."

On which "fantasy" actor he would like to recruit for the soap, Collinson said: "Julie Walters keeps saying she'd like to be in the show.

"I have phoned her agent and I have asked. It's not ever come off, but I'd love it if she would, and be Audrey's sister. They'd be a great double act."

On choosing a character from another soap to switch to Coronation Street, he said: "I'd love to see Dot [Cotton, from EastEnders, played by June Brown] in the Rovers Return. That would be brilliant.

"Probably having a chat with Rita and Betty."

Collinson chose the recent 'right to die' storyline from Emmerdale as his favourite plot from another soap. He said: "It was so carefully and beautifully handled. It was very strong and a great moral dilemma, and something that genuinely got the nation talking."

Julie Walters has previously spoken of her ambition to appear in Coronation Street on a number of occasions.

Coronation Street actress Michelle Keegan has spoken of her excitement at becoming engaged to boyfriend Max George.

The Wanted star proposed to Keegan on the set of the ITV1 soap earlier this month, just before she celebrated her 24th birthday.

Keegan wrote in her Love It! magazine column: "Bleedin' heck! I can't believe I'm engaged to Max.

"It's dead exciting because I really didn't see it coming and I seriously can't wait to spend my future with him."

However, Keegan - who plays Tina McIntyre in the Weatherfield serial - confirmed that the couple, who have been dating for seven months, will not rush to tie the knot this year.

"The ring's gorgeous, but we won't be marrying this year - we've got so much going on with our careers," she said. "And I've got my hands full with my cute seven-week-old chihuahua Pip. Max bought me her as an engagement pressie - she's gorgeous!"

Keegan previously revealed the moment the couple declared their love for each other, adding: "It just felt so natural."

Congratulations to them

MICHELLE Keegan flashed her engagement ring for the first time today - after gushing about how she couldn't wait to marry Max George.
    The gorgeous Corrie star looked ecstatic as she was snapped smooching her fiancé after trip to a supermarket in Manchester.
    And Michelle, who plays Weatherfield's feisty Tina McIntyre, revealed her £10,000 sparkler during the outing to Tesco.

She told this week how Max - who is in boy band The Wanted - popped the question before her 24th birthday by presenting her with a ring and a puppy.
    Michelle had only been dating The Wanted star for seven months before he proposed to her.

She wrote in her Love It! magazine column: "Bleedin' heck! I can't believe I'm engaged to Max!
    "It's dead exciting because I really didn't see it coming and I seriously can't wait to spend my future with him.
    "The ring's gorgeous, but we won't be marrying this year - we've got so much going on with our careers.
    "And I've got my hands full with my cute seven-week-old chihuahua Pip.
    "Max bought me her as an engagement pressie - she's gorgeous!"

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz1Q98kosQz
    Last edited by alan45; 24-06-2011 at 00:58.

A hard-hitting Coronation Street scene that was axed amid controversy in 1963 is to finally be broadcast, a report has claimed.

Forthcoming documentary The Corrie Years will feature the moment that factory worker Sheila Birtles attempted to commit suicide while suffering from depression, according to The Mirror.

Sheila, played by actress Eileen Mayers, was to be seen swallowing a number of tablets before vomiting into a bin and being rescued by her neighbours in the episode in question.

However, ITV received complaints when details of the storyline leaked to the press, prompting a last-minute rewrite and reshoot as the scene was deemed too harrowing.

The Corrie Years is expected to examine some of the most memorable moments from Coronation Street's history and will take a look back at the Sheila controversy when it airs later this year.

A source told the newspaper: "At the time it was deemed too controversial. But compared to what goes on in soaps these days, I don't think the scene will very shocking."

Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital charity and St Ann’s Hospice are inviting adventurous fundraisers to saddle up and take to the streets for ‘Moon Ride’, Manchester’s first night time 100k cycling event, raising money for these two major charities.
    Coronation Street actor Antony Cotton, who plays Sean Tully, launched the event outside Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
    Moon Ride is set to take place on Saturday 10th September at 11pm, and promises participants spectacular night time views of the city. A dedicated support team will be on hand for all taking part in the ride throughout the night, ensuring participants have all the assistance needed to take part in and complete the ride, how to make the most from this fabulous fundraising opportunity, and most importantly how to enjoy the experience.
    Registration costs £25 and participants will be asked to pledge to raise minimum sponsorship of £150. Sponsorship will be divided equally between Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital charity, which helps to provide additional resources that support excellence in treatment, care and research improving the lives of patients at the largest children’s hospital in the UK and St Ann’s Hospice, which cares for thousands of patients with life-threatening illnesses every year, while supporting their families and carers in Greater Manchester.

For more information regarding Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital charity please call 0161 276 4522 or visit http://www.rmchcharity.org.uk/

Beverley Callard, who played Liz McDonald on Corrie, will be turning up in panto this year as the Wicked Queen. Boo, hiss, oh yes she will, etc. Bev will be taking to the stage at the Sheffield Lyceum Theatre in Sleeping Beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post

Beverley Callard, who played Liz McDonald on Corrie, will be turning up in panto this year as the Wicked Queen. Boo, hiss, oh yes she will, etc. Bev will be taking to the stage at the Sheffield Lyceum Theatre in Sleeping Beauty.
    Oh no she won't!

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Oh no she won't!
    Look out she's behind you

AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Thread Information