Page 12 of 95 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronation Street General News Thread

ITV soap Coronation Street will next month receive a special BAFTA award honouring the hard work of the serial's crew.

The show's production team will pick up the prize at the British Academy Television Craft Awards on May 23, Broadcast reports.

The gong will mark the Weatherfield drama's 50th anniversary, recognising the contributions made by every person who has worked as part of the programme's behind-the-scenes team over the past five decades.

Speaking of the accolade, the soap's executive producer Kieran Roberts commented: "The wonderful actors in the early episodes of Coronation Street rightly became celebrated, but behind the cameras there were many other stars in the birth of British television's most successful drama serial - creator Tony Warren, of course, and the writers who followed him.

"50 years on, Coronation Street is still brought to life and to screen by a huge team of dedicated and highly talented people behind the camera.

"We're delighted that the special award at this year's British Academy Television Craft Awards recognises the extraordinary contribution to British television made by the entire Coronation Street team, not just this year but in every single year across five decades."

The British Academy Television Craft Awards will be held in London and are to be presented by The One Show's Christine Bleakley.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (26-04-2010)

Kate Ford has revealed that she decided to go back to Coronation Street in order to reunite with co-star Shobna Gulati.

The 32-year-old actress, who plays the murderous Tracy Barlow, said that working with her former best friend had been a big influence on her decision to return.

Gulati - who played Dev Alahan's wife Sunita until 2006 - also reprised her role in the serial last year.

Ford told TV Times: "Part of the pull of my going back was to be with Shobna. She used to pop in to see me when she was in London with her son, but we hadn't seen each other for a while."

She added: "Because I was there for so long and formed such strong bonds, it's like being reunited with good friends - you don't see them for a while but when you meet them again you just slip back into it."

Great minds think alike??????

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alan45 (27-04-2010)

Is it just me or is there a episode on this Sunday again?
    Why are there episodes on Sundays now?

Yeah, they started to show an episode on Sundays again, I forget a lot, not used to it anymore. Don't really know why

Coronation Street writer Jonathan Harvey has revealed that his new play Canary was inspired by criticism of the soap's first ever gay storyline.

Harvey developed the Weatherfield drama's memorable 2003 plot which saw Todd Grimshaw (Bruno Langley) slowly coming to the realisation that he was gay. He also went on to devise storylines for the show's other main homosexual character, Sean Tully (Antony Cotton).

Coronation Street provoked a mixed response when Todd was seen kissing his girlfriend's brother Nick Tilsley seven years ago. Although the drama was praised by some for tackling homosexual issues for the first time, Ulrika Jonsson was among those who slammed the move, arguing that the kiss should not have been broadcast before the watershed.

Reflecting on the response to the plotline, Harvey told The Guardian: "It proved that we are still some way short of full acceptance, which made me think it was about time I tried to write a new play."

Canary, which is currently running at the Liverpool Playhouse theatre, encompasses 50 years of gay history in Britain as it follows the lives of characters Tom and Billy.

Harvey, who is openly homosexual, said: "It's my first full-length stage piece for almost nine years. I wanted to come back with a bang."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (28-04-2010)

Vicky Entwistle's husband has reportedly been charged with assaulting a fan.

Andrew Chapman, 47, allegedly hit a man who asked to take the Coronation Street star's photograph while on a train in Salford.

The couple were travelling together when the alleged incident took place, reports The Manchester Evening News. Both Entwistle, who plays Weatherfield's Janice Battersby, and her husband are said to be "devastated".

A source claimed the man sustained a cut lip and bruising to the noise during the altercation, while a spokesman for the British Transport Police stated: "Following an incident at Salford Crescent Station Andrew Chapman has been charged with assault."

Mr Chapman, who lives in Clitheroe, will appear at Salford Magistrates' Court later this month. A Coronation Street spokesperson declined to comment.

Sacha Parkinson has reportedly been bombarded with female attention following her lesbian scenes on Coronation Street.

The 18-year-old, who plays Sian Powers, was seen sharing the ITV1 soap's first lesbian kiss with co-star Brooke Vincent (Sophie Webster) earlier this month.

The Sun reports that she has since had numerous come-ons from women and has cut back on her nights out for fear of being ambushed by adoring female fans.

A source said: "She has been bombarded with Facebook requests from girls begging for a date. Even when she's out with her boyfriend, girls openly try to get her attention. Sacha is a bit overwhelmed by it all."

Parkinson earlier revealed that some fans believe she is dating Vincent in real life.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-05-2010)

That's a bit of an awkward situation for Sacha, especially when she's out with her boyfriend. Soap fans who can't tell the difference between fact and fiction constantly amaze me.

Thread Information