Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronation Street General News Thread

Coronation Street star Bill Roache has revealed that he would like Ken Barlow to get more girlfriends in future storylines.

In an interview with The Mirror, the actor confirmed that he wants producers to continue spicing up his alter ego's love life rather than having him stay faithful to wife Deirdre (Anne Kirkbride).

Last year, Ken cheated on Deirdre by beginning a secret relationship with fellow arts enthusiast Martha Fraser, who was played by Stephanie Beacham.

Discussing his hopes for Ken's future, Roache admitted: "A few more gorgeous girlfriends would be lovely."

He continued: "I thought it was great last year having a girlfriend, especially at my age. A few more would be great. I've lost count of romances I've had in the show, not to mention the four weddings.

"The lovely Joanna Lumley being one of my girlfriends was a particular highlight. Not a bad life, is it?"

Ken Barlow is the only remaining character from Coronation Street's launch in 1960, meaning that Roache celebrates five decades in the role later this year.

Coronation Street star Beverley Callard has revealed that she has suffered memory loss due to the electro-convulsive therapy she underwent last year.

The actress, who plays Weatherfield favourite Liz McDonald, used ECT as a "last resort" as she battled depression and now credits the sessions for 'saving' her.

Callard spoke about the treatment on GMTV this morning following recent media attention surrounding her experience.

Asked if she had suffered memory loss, she replied: "Yes I have, I still have a little bit. I can't read a novel yet but I can learn my lines, which is weird really."

She continued: "I'm beginning to listen to myself a bit more. I've got to try and be kinder to myself and that's quite hard. But I'm getting there. I'm not 100% better but I'm getting there. I'm on the climb back up again now."

Callard's new autobiography Unbroken sees her discuss the full extent of her personal problems.

Of her decision to speak out, she said: "I did think maybe I won't ever talk about this. It evolved because I started going to therapy sessions. I never thought things like that would help me but it did. The book came out of that really."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-04-2010)

My respect for Beverly Callard has gone right up because she's being so open about her mental health problems.

Liz Dawn is returning to TV after leaving her role as Vera Duckworth on Coronation Street, who she played for 34 years.

According to The Mirror, the former soap star is to be making an appearance in a £10m campaign for Ambrosia Custard and its parent company Premier Foods.

Oxo mum Lynda Bellingham is also coming out of retirement to back the stock cubes and the two are joined by sports presenter Kirsty Gallacher to promote Loyd Grossman sauces.

The signings are part of Premier’s Great Little Ideas series to encourage people to cook at home.

Last edited by alan45; 19-04-2010 at 11:28.

Coronation Street star Alan Halsall has admitted that he does not receive much attention from the soap's female viewers.

The 27-year-old, who plays Weatherfield mechanic Tyrone Dobbs, revealed that most of his fans are older women with maternal instincts.

Speaking to The Mirror, Halsall confirmed: "I don't really get chatted up. Instead, I get old grandmas who just want to mother me and take me home. And because Tyrone is always eating, they all say, 'Come to my house, I'll cook for you'."

The actor added that he is sometimes approached by girls on nights out, but only because they want to meet his co-star Ryan Thomas, who plays builder Jason Grimshaw.

He explained: "Girls generally come up and say, 'Is Jason coming?' I think most girls would like to have Tyrone as a friend rather than a husband or boyfriend. But I'm happy with that."

While Tyrone has love cheat Molly Dobbs (Vicky Binns) as his wife, Halsall is happily married to his former show colleague Lucy-Jo Hudson, who portrayed killer Katy Harris.

"I was ecstatic to be involved in a Corrie wedding, but absolutely nothing compares to the day I got married for real," he said. "It was by far the best day of my life and I can't imagine what else would beat it."

Coronation Street actor Jack P. Shepherd has admitted that he finds parenthood easy.

The 22-year-old, who plays Weatherfield bad boy David Platt, welcomed his first child Nyla Rae with girlfriend Lauren Shippey in February 2009.

Discussing his experiences as a father in an interview with The People, Shepherd commented: "I love being a dad and I can't imagine life without Nyla. She recognises me on TV now, which is nice. We show her Coronation Street every now and then and say, 'Look, it's Daddy,' and she smiles and laughs.

"I love her to pieces, although I don't think fatherhood has changed me. Okay, I was young having her at 21 and she wasn't planned, but I've been in an adult environment since I was 10 and had to grow up fast.

"And to be honest I've found it an absolute doddle. She's such an easy and smiley baby. She goes to sleep when we say, gets up when we say and eats all her dinner."

He continued: "Ideally I'd like two more children, but I don't think I'd want to get married until I've finished my family. It's the way I was brought up - I was at my parents' wedding when I was five and remember telling my dad it was the best day of my life. So I've always felt I'd like all my children to be at my wedding."

Shepherd recently confirmed that he is hoping for a long future with Coronation Street.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-04-2010)

Coronation Street star Shobna Gulati has revealed that she would like the soap to start airing live episodes again.

The actress, who plays Weatherfield's Sunita Alahan, learned to cope with the pressure of live performances when she appeared in a number of theatre productions after leaving the show in 2005.

Gulati has now returned to the cobbles and is keen to put her new skills to good use.

Speaking on Loose Women, she explained: "The one thing I wish Coronation Street was is that I want it to be live. I would enjoy it a whole heap more, I think."

Many of Coronation Street's early episodes were broadcast live and the serial also celebrated its 40th anniversary by transmitting direct from its Manchester studios in 2000.

Earlier this month, show veteran Bill Roache (Ken Barlow) ruled out a live episode for Corrie's 50th birthday.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-04-2010)

Bev Callard has claimed that her Coronation Street alter ego Liz McDonald will always go for younger men.

The 53-year-old actress also revealed that the Rovers barmaid will find romance later in the year.

She told PA: "I don't think Liz would ever go for a much older man. Ever. No, I think Liz is rapidly on the way to becoming a cougar!

"I have been told that she has a new relationship, but I think it takes quite a while to work out. I believe it's really quite dramatic, because it's going to get to its peak in December, for Coronation Street's birthday - the 50th. Half a century, my God!"

Callard added: "I only found out the name of Liz's new man about four days ago. Apparently he's called Owen, but we haven't even worked together yet."

"I hope it's going to be good. But I also hope they bring Charlie Lawson back as well, Liz and Jim have got that great... they've been married twice - to each other."

Thread Information