Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronation Street General News Thread

Coronation Street General News Thread

A news thread for all general peices of news regarding the show and the cast. I.e Digitial Spy news reports etc.

For big news stories, please feel free to set up a thread of it's own.

Amanda Holden would love Corrie role

Britain's Got Talent judge Amanda Holden has expressed an interest in a Coronation Street role.

The 38-year-old, who returns to screens on Saturday as part of the new series of the nationwide talent search, previously appeared in BBC soap EastEnders for five episodes back in 1994 as a minor character called Carmen.

"I have to say I find EastEnders brilliant at the moment, but I wouldn't go into it at the moment, no," she told PA.

However, the former Wild at Heart and Cutting It actress has said that she would love a stint in the Weatherfield soap.

"What I'd like to do is go into Coronation Street. I love Corrie and that's kind of more iconic. I'd go into that for a bit," she continued.

She added: "I'd love to go into it as some kind of snooty southern bitch. Maybe go and buy The Kabin from under Rita's nose and turn it into a beauty salon or something horrendous that they hate, so they oust me and I go back to London."

Holden recently spoke of her desire to launch a career in the US, similar to that of fellow panelist Piers Morgan.

Britain's Got Talent returns for its third run on Saturday at 7.45pm on ITV1.

Former EastEnders actor Shaun Williamson has revealed that he doesn't miss working on the BBC soap.

The 43-year-old played Barry Evans for nine years until his character was killed off onscreen in 2004. He then went on to appear as himself in hit BBC comedy Extras alongside Ricky Gervais.

Speaking to the Daily Record, he said: "I don't miss EastEnders at all - I haven't since the day I left. When Barry played an evil s**t it was great, but I wouldn't go back to playing a loser again, otherwise I might as well have stayed."

"I got gobbled up by EastEnders and spent nine years there, which wasn't planned. You just keep re-signing the contracts. I spent a long time on TV and when I left EastEnders in 2003, I couldn't wait to get back to doing comedy on stage."

Despite his reluctance to return to the Walford soap, Williamson admitted that he would "jump at the chance" to play a villain in ITV1's rival soap Coronation Street, saying: "Just to do something really evil like kill someone would be fantastic."

Williamson is currently playing the role of Ron Freeman in the Take That musical Never Forget.

Another one wanting to join Corrie. Perhaps Carla can hire him to bump off Tony

CORRIE legend Julie Goodyear was in tears yesterday after being mistakenly accused of shoplifting nicotine gum.

The chain-smoking actress, who played Rovers Return barmaid Bet Gilroy for more than 25 years, was stopped at her local supermarket.

Store detectives claimed they saw Julie’s fourth hubby Scott Brand, 40, putting a packet of gum into her pocket.

When the 60-a-day star — who famously puffed on Cartier cigs in the ITV soap — got to the till, they accused the couple of nicking the £15 item and called police.

Julie, 67, was reduced to tears as she pleaded: “It’s all a mistake — I’ve done nothing wrong.”

Scott went to see the general manager at Morrisons near their farmhouse in Heywood, Lancs, to explain it was an innocent mix-up.

Cops arrived about an hour later — but the couple were spared a grilling because staff accepted their explanation.

Julie refused to comment last night on the astonishing drama.

But a source said: “It all seemed a bit bizarre because she shops there twice a week — Julie looked really upset.”

Shopper Marjorie Cutler, 52, who saw the star in tears, said: “I couldn’t believe it when I saw her coming out of the manager’s office.

“I think she’d been crying as her eyes looked red. She was shaking her head and she looked really upset — but she just put her head down and walked out.”

A spokesman for Morrisons said: “The police were called to our Heywood store to investigate a suspected shoplifting.”

Greater Manchester Police confirmed that no further action had been taken.

A spokesman added: “Before officers arrived, the person paid for the item and no offences had occurred.”

Former Coronation Street star Tina O'Brien has admitted that she was "naive" over her controversial teen pregnancy plot.

The actress's character Sarah Platt was just 13 when she fell pregnant to her classmate Neil Fearns on the ITV1 soap.

Sarah eventually decided to take on the responsibility of motherhood and welcomed her daughter Bethany months later.

"It was really big at the time," O'Brien told PA. "At the time I didn't realise it because I was very new to it all and naive, so I didn't realise what a big sort of splash it made really, but yeah, I did get a lot of people writing in to me, even young girls saying: 'I'm in a similar situation'."

Naming the 2000 plot as her most memorable, she added: "It's because it was the first biggy as well. For me, that really stuck in my head."

O'Brien left Coronation Street in 2007, but recently announced that she would be willing to return in the future.

I remember that storyline since I was like 9 at the time. I know teenage pregancies have been done loads now, but she was 13 and thats the one that stands out to me

Coronation Street star Michael Le Vell has claimed that the show's cast are living in fear for their jobs.

The actor, who has played Kevin Webster for 26 years, revealed that even long-established Weatherfield stars are concerned about their future following recent job cuts at ITV.

"We are scared that we face getting axed with what's going on," Le Vell told The People. "But we all have the attitude we will just carry on doing what we are doing to the best we can.

"What will happen will happen, but in the meantime we want to continue working hard as a team and hopefully we will reign supreme at what is a difficult time for ITV."

In February, reports suggested that the Manchester-based soap could be sold off to an independent production company due to the current financial climate.

Meanwhile, The People also claims that paranoia over the show's future has led to a widespread "mole hunt" in recent weeks.

Following recent storyline leaks to the media, executive producer Kim Crowther reportedly ordered staff to hand over their phone records - and also recruited an expert to sweep conference rooms for bugging devices.

A source revealed: "Staff couldn't believe what they were hearing. They deal with top-secret storylines and internal matters week in, week out so found it astonishing that the finger of suspicion should be pointed at them.

"Most were happy to do it because they knew if they didn't, questions would be asked. As for the bug sweep, it shows how paranoid the bosses have become. The atmosphere is really bad now because everyone is worried about their jobs in this difficult climate."

A ITV spokesperson this afternoon told DS: "We are very vigilant when it comes to protecting storyline leaks on both Coronation Street and Emmerdale as we don't want to spoil plots for our viewers."

Coronation Street star Samia Smith has admitted that she feels "drained" following her recent depressing plotlines.

The actress's alter-ego Maria Connor gave birth to a lifeless baby boy after six months of pregnancy in early 2008. Later in the year, she faced further heartbreak when her husband Liam (Rob James-Collier) was killed.

Speaking to the Sunday Mirror, Smith revealed: "It's been a good 18 months of solid misery. It's quite draining really, having to think really depressing thoughts for 12 hours a day, all week.

"I can't muck about in the green room like I used to, I don't have the energy to. I've found that it's better to just sit in my dressing room and read a book and be quiet for a while. I've become a bit of a hermit."

Discussing the impact on her social life, she added: "I'm doing this all the time, and at weekends I'm really tired. Luckily I've got good friends, who understand. I have to try to smile a lot in my real life. I put lots of loud music on in the car on the way home and then pour myself a big glass of wine."

Smith has previously insisted that she was pleased to adopt a "grim" new look for the storylines.

EX-CORRIE star Kevin Kennedy, who played nerdy Curly Watts, wants to return.

Kevin, 47, who quit in 2003, said: “Curly moved to Newcastle and there’s more mileage in him. I’d like to return as he still has a story to tell.”

But times and characters have changed since he was last on the cobbles.

He added: “I just want to walk into the Rovers and say, ‘Who are you? Who’s that?’ as I don’t know some of the newer characters!

“I adored my time on Corrie, especially the Curly and Raquel romance.

“I still watch it now and again although I’m often on stage when it’s on the telly.”

I think Curly is best left in the past! as for Raquel lets not go there!
    Last edited by Chris_2k11; 14-04-2009 at 19:59.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Thread Information