Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronation Street General News Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coronation Street General News Thread

A news thread for all general peices of news regarding the show and the cast. I.e Digitial Spy news reports etc.

For big news stories, please feel free to set up a thread of it's own.

Amanda Holden would love Corrie role

Britain's Got Talent judge Amanda Holden has expressed an interest in a Coronation Street role.

The 38-year-old, who returns to screens on Saturday as part of the new series of the nationwide talent search, previously appeared in BBC soap EastEnders for five episodes back in 1994 as a minor character called Carmen.

"I have to say I find EastEnders brilliant at the moment, but I wouldn't go into it at the moment, no," she told PA.

However, the former Wild at Heart and Cutting It actress has said that she would love a stint in the Weatherfield soap.

"What I'd like to do is go into Coronation Street. I love Corrie and that's kind of more iconic. I'd go into that for a bit," she continued.

She added: "I'd love to go into it as some kind of snooty southern bitch. Maybe go and buy The Kabin from under Rita's nose and turn it into a beauty salon or something horrendous that they hate, so they oust me and I go back to London."

Holden recently spoke of her desire to launch a career in the US, similar to that of fellow panelist Piers Morgan.

Britain's Got Talent returns for its third run on Saturday at 7.45pm on ITV1.

Former EastEnders actor Shaun Williamson has revealed that he doesn't miss working on the BBC soap.

The 43-year-old played Barry Evans for nine years until his character was killed off onscreen in 2004. He then went on to appear as himself in hit BBC comedy Extras alongside Ricky Gervais.

Speaking to the Daily Record, he said: "I don't miss EastEnders at all - I haven't since the day I left. When Barry played an evil s**t it was great, but I wouldn't go back to playing a loser again, otherwise I might as well have stayed."

"I got gobbled up by EastEnders and spent nine years there, which wasn't planned. You just keep re-signing the contracts. I spent a long time on TV and when I left EastEnders in 2003, I couldn't wait to get back to doing comedy on stage."

Despite his reluctance to return to the Walford soap, Williamson admitted that he would "jump at the chance" to play a villain in ITV1's rival soap Coronation Street, saying: "Just to do something really evil like kill someone would be fantastic."

Williamson is currently playing the role of Ron Freeman in the Take That musical Never Forget.

Another one wanting to join Corrie. Perhaps Carla can hire him to bump off Tony

CORRIE legend Julie Goodyear was in tears yesterday after being mistakenly accused of shoplifting nicotine gum.

The chain-smoking actress, who played Rovers Return barmaid Bet Gilroy for more than 25 years, was stopped at her local supermarket.

Store detectives claimed they saw Julie’s fourth hubby Scott Brand, 40, putting a packet of gum into her pocket.

When the 60-a-day star — who famously puffed on Cartier cigs in the ITV soap — got to the till, they accused the couple of nicking the £15 item and called police.

Julie, 67, was reduced to tears as she pleaded: “It’s all a mistake — I’ve done nothing wrong.”

Scott went to see the general manager at Morrisons near their farmhouse in Heywood, Lancs, to explain it was an innocent mix-up.

Cops arrived about an hour later — but the couple were spared a grilling because staff accepted their explanation.

Julie refused to comment last night on the astonishing drama.

But a source said: “It all seemed a bit bizarre because she shops there twice a week — Julie looked really upset.”

Shopper Marjorie Cutler, 52, who saw the star in tears, said: “I couldn’t believe it when I saw her coming out of the manager’s office.

“I think she’d been crying as her eyes looked red. She was shaking her head and she looked really upset — but she just put her head down and walked out.”

A spokesman for Morrisons said: “The police were called to our Heywood store to investigate a suspected shoplifting.”

Greater Manchester Police confirmed that no further action had been taken.

A spokesman added: “Before officers arrived, the person paid for the item and no offences had occurred.”

Former Coronation Street star Tina O'Brien has admitted that she was "naive" over her controversial teen pregnancy plot.

The actress's character Sarah Platt was just 13 when she fell pregnant to her classmate Neil Fearns on the ITV1 soap.

Sarah eventually decided to take on the responsibility of motherhood and welcomed her daughter Bethany months later.

"It was really big at the time," O'Brien told PA. "At the time I didn't realise it because I was very new to it all and naive, so I didn't realise what a big sort of splash it made really, but yeah, I did get a lot of people writing in to me, even young girls saying: 'I'm in a similar situation'."

Naming the 2000 plot as her most memorable, she added: "It's because it was the first biggy as well. For me, that really stuck in my head."

O'Brien left Coronation Street in 2007, but recently announced that she would be willing to return in the future.

I remember that storyline since I was like 9 at the time. I know teenage pregancies have been done loads now, but she was 13 and thats the one that stands out to me

I read that in the evening news. Ivwonder how it happened. That article even stated it occuredvoutside jack duckworths house. They have as much drama off screen than they do on at the minute corrie.

CORONATION Street stars watched in horror as a runaway car mowed down the director on set yesterday.

Kay Patrick was hit as she set up a scene on the cobbles near the Rovers Return when the car’s accelerator jammed.

Vicky Binns, 26, who plays Molly Compton, fled in tears while Michael Le Vell, 44 — mechanic Kevin Webster — was shaken.

Kay, 68, was last night being treated at Manchester Royal Infirmary for a suspected fractured hip.

Another production staff member was hit and slightly hurt.

The driver was treated at the scene for shock.

Filming on the ITV1 soap was halted for the day at Granada Studios, Manchester.

One fan waiting for autographs outside said: “I heard a really loud bang then screaming.

"Then I saw crew and cast members running across the set. Some were crying. They all looked pretty shocked.”

A Corrie insider said: “The cast and crew are absolutely horrified.

“The car was being driven around when the accelerator pedal jammed. It lurched forward, knocking down Kay. She was in agony and everyone feared the worst. Thankfully she just injured her hip.”

Veteran soap director Kay’s credits include EastEnders, Holby City, Emmerdale, Brookside and Crossroads.

She started out as an actress on classics like Dr Who and Z Cars in the 60s.

Former Coronation Street star Samuel Robertson has joined the cast of Scottish soap River City, it has been announced.

The 23-year-old actor, who played Weatherfield's Adam Barlow from 2004 to 2007, has signed up for the role of art history student Innes Maitland on the BBC One show.

Robertson's character will immediately attract romantic attention from Amber Murdoch (Lorna Anderson) when he hits screens later this year.

Discussing his new role, he revealed: "I'm having an amazing time filming River City. Innes is a very cool, confident character and he's a lot of fun to play."

Meanwhile, TV newcomers Ryan Smith and Lorna Craig have been cast as siblings Charlie and Jennifer Bowie, who share a flat with their fellow student Innes.

River City's executive producer Gaynor Holmes said: "It's wonderfully exciting to welcome a mix of established actors and fresh new talent to River City.

"The arrival of the students will bring a lot of fun to the drama. Samuel will already be recognisable to many of our viewers, and it's a pleasure to also introduce talented newcomers Ryan Smith and Lorna Craig."

The trio will make their first appearances on the programme in June.

CORRIE chiefs have ordered a safety crackdown after an on-set car accident — but staff condemned the new rules as BONKERS.

Cast and crew were horrified when director Kay Patrick was accidentally mowed down on the cobbles near the Rovers — as we revealed on Saturday.

But one insider said of the new ultra-cautious regime: “There will be more health and safety people on set than anyone else.”

Gray O’Brien, 40, today films a scene where factory boss Tony Gordon burns his hand on a kitchen grill. TWO electricians will stand by to ensure the oven is OFF.

Vicky Binns, 26, and Michael Le Vell, 44, will be on location for scenes where their characters Molly Crompton and Kevin Webster run in a race. The stars, who witnessed last Friday’s car drama, have been banned from exercising for more than 30 SECONDS.

Tomorrow other members of the ITV1 soap’s cast will be filmed working out in a gym — with every move supervised by a qualified instructor. And when Molly slaps Kevin on Friday it will be overseen by a professional “fight arranger”.

Under the crackdown all staff and crew are banned from going within 20ft of unsupervised props. One worker at the Manchester studios said: “Some of these rules seem a bit bonkers. You don’t need an electrician to tell you an oven is not hot.” Director Kay, 68, had hospital treatment after the car lurched into her on set.

From The Sun

Thread Information