Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastenders General News Thread

EastEnders star Steve McFadden was reunited with former on-screen mum Barbara Windsor as they joined the flotilla of boats taking part in the Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant.

McFadden, who shot to fame as hardman Phil Mitchell, took part in the pageant on behalf of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), a charity he has been a prominent suporter of for many years.

© Hello! Magazine

Before the flotilla he posed with former co-star Windsor, who starred alongside McFadden in the soap for 16 years, in front of her namesake, the 40ft Dutch barge 'Barbara'. The photos can be seen in the recent souvenir Jubilee edition of Hello! magazine.

The 53-year-old actor then held a large RNLI flag aloft aboard the boat during the pageant, a celebration of the 60-year reign of the Queen, who is patron of the RNLI.

McFadden later said: "Being as keen a royalist as I am a sailor, I was pleased as punch when I found out I had been accepted to take part in the Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant.

"It was a fantastic experience to be part of history, and also to have my own Windsor aboard!

"Flying the RNLI flag was my way of recognising the brave and courageous volunteer lifeboat crews, knowing the great life-saving work they do and the spirit they do it in whenever their pagers sound."

McFadden recently signed up for a pantomime in Dertford later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    A second man has been arrested in connection with the death of Gemma McCluskie.

The 35-year-old was arrested on Friday (March 30). He was released on bail yesterday until a date in May, the BBC reports.

The torso of the former EastEnders actress was discovered in Regent's Canal, near Broadway Market, east London, on March 6.

Her brother Tony was charged with her murder on March 10 following his arrest.

More body parts belonging to Gemma, who played Kerry Skinner in the BBC One soap, have subsequently been found in the canal.

Former co-stars including Dean Gaffney, Brooke Kinsella and Joe Swash have all paid tribute to Gemma since her death.
    The brother of former EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie will stand trial for her murder in November, it has been confirmed.

Tony McCluskie, 35, today (June 18) appeared for a brief hearing at the Old Bailey after being accused of killing his 29-year-old sister.

Mr McCluskie spoke only to confirm his identity, but it was announced that his trial will take place from November 12, BBC News reports.

A plea and case management hearing has also been confirmed for October 12.

Ms McCluskie's torso was found in Regent's Canal in Hackney on March 6. She had been reported missing a few days earlier.

The actress played the role of Kerry Skinner in EastEnders in 2000 and 2001.

EastEnders star Ricky Norwood has claimed that he was not expected to realise his ambition as an actor.

The actor, who plays Fatboy in the Albert Square soap, drew on his upbringing in Hackney as part of a BBC Radio 1Xtra Q&A.

Norwood said when asked whether he believes coming from a deprived area limits a person's chances as an actor: "Not at all - I think it gives you more fight.

"I'm from Forest Gate, they expect me to be a shotter [drug dealer] and they expect me to have twelve babies at the age of 17. I love to prove people wrong."

Norwood, who has also written for EastEnders teen spinoff E20, insisted that his lack of drama school experience has not hindered his career progression

Comedienne co-star Tameka Empson, who portrays Walford's Kim Fox, commented on her experience in London: "For me there was really no limits, there was never a doubt for me.

"I think regardless of where you come from, you don't have to be there. If it's something that you want to do, you just have to get up and do it."

EastEnders legend June Brown has revealed that she pays regular visits to former co-star John Bardon.

Bardon, who played Jim Branning in EastEnders until two years ago, suffered a major stroke in 2007.

Dot Branning actress Brown - Bardon's on-screen wife - spoke about Bardon's physical condition in an interview with What's on TV.

"I visit John regularly - his wife Edna has been marvellous," she said. "I feel for him because he can't write, paint or tell his jokes any more. He is such a clever man and he loved performing."

Brown was promoting her new documentary Respect My Elders, which airs as part of BBC One's 'When I'm 65' season on Thursday, July 12 at 9pm.

The 85-year-old is currently on a six-month hiatus from EastEnders to write her autobiography.

Tanya Franks has been cast in Lindsay Lohan's upcoming TV movie Liz & Dick.

The actress is perhaps best known for playing drug addict Rainie Cross in EastEnders, before she left the UK to pursue a Hollywood career last year.

Liz & Dick stars Lohan and Grant Bowler as film legends Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, and focuses on the stars' two marriages.

Franks will portray Burton's first wife Sybil Williams, whom he divorced in 1963, the year before he first married Taylor. The couple had two daughters together.

The film's director Larry Thompson has praised Franks for her "emotionally charged" performance, reports The Sun.

Franks had previously said of her role: "It's fun playing Rainie drunk but I don't drink - so there's no chance of me having any before filming to help me out."

She has also starred in the likes of Family Affairs, Pulling and The Bill.

Liz & Dick is scheduled to premiere on November 3 on Lifetime in the US.

The father of EastEnders star Jacqueline Jossa has been jailed for four years after stealing nearly £500,000 of taxpayers' money.

The actress, who plays Lauren Branning on the BBC soap, is said to have wept as her father John pleaded guilty to three offences of dishonesty or tampering with expenses during his time as head of finance at Enfield Council.

The 58-year-old siphoned off £491,088.35 into his own account between 2006 and 2010, £42,000 of which came from false wages to his wife, who he pretended also worked at the council.

However, he lost a significant amount of the money in scams and only £25,000 was recovered when Enfield Council launched a court action against him, according to the Daily Mail.

John, who in 2009 collected more than £170,000 in redundancy and continues to receive a pension, was told by Judge Nicholas Cooke at the Old Bailey that he had "embarrassed the vast majority of hard working...government employees" with his "criminally distorted thinking".

Judge Cooke added: "In addition to being fully dishonest, he's a fool... Your offending will have real consequences to local residents in terms of reduced services or a decline in payments for those that live in the area."

Jacqueline, 19, recently said that she intends to stay on EastEnders for many years.

EastEnders star Danniella Westbrook has outlined her desire to star in hit ITV comedy Benidorm.

The 38-year-old actress has been out of work since leaving her famous role of Sam Mitchell in the Albert Square soap.

Regarding her future plans, she told the Daily Star Sunday: "I'm having meetings with people but I don't know what's coming up, you just need to have faith.

"If I could have any job in the world it would be Benidorm - an old trollop from Essex."

Praising the sitcom's lead writer, she added: "I love Derren Litten's writing, it's funny and creative.

"I said to him, 'Why do you only have Northerners in there? London people go to Benidorm as well'."

Fellow former EastEnders cast member Cheryl Fergison, whose character Heather Trott was killed off earlier this year, recently announced that she has signed up for a new show penned by Litten.

Westbrook also spoke about her belief in Christianity, having converted last year.

"I became a Christian when I was in America. My best friend is my pastor," she added. "I went along to their church and I've never experienced anything like it."

EastEnders star Danniella Westbrook has outlined her desire to star in hit ITV comedy Benidorm.

The 38-year-old actress has been out of work since leaving her famous role of Sam Mitchell in the Albert Square soap.

Regarding her future plans, she told the Daily Star Sunday: "I'm having meetings with people but I don't know what's coming up, you just need to have faith.

"If I could have any job in the world it would be Benidorm - an old trollop from Essex."

Praising the sitcom's lead writer, she added: "I love Derren Litten's writing, it's funny and creative.

"I said to him, 'Why do you only have Northerners in there? London people go to Benidorm as well'."

Fellow former EastEnders cast member Cheryl Fergison, whose character Heather Trott was killed off earlier this year, recently announced that she has signed up for a new show penned by Litten.

Westbrook also spoke about her belief in Christianity, having converted last year.

"I became a Christian when I was in America. My best friend is my pastor," she added. "I went along to their church and I've never experienced anything like it."

EastEnders actress June Brown has provided vocals for a new single.

The 85-year-old actress - who is currently undertaking a six-month break from the soap as Dot Cotton - features on her godson Tim Arnold's track 'Soho Heroes', reports The Mirror.

Arnold - who is dating Brown's co-star Jessie Wallace - records under the stage name Soho Hobo.

The track is described as "somewhere between Blur and the Divine Comedy" and is released on Monday (July 23).

A source said: "June and Tim are great friends.

"She loves to help him out. She loves his music and Tim is delighted about her agreeing to take part."

The song is dubbed as a "tribute to the figures who have each made their mark living or working in Soho over 400 years".

Brown recently made a tearful reunion with her former co-star John Bardon for a BBC TV documentary.

EastEnders actress June Brown has provided vocals for a new single.

The 85-year-old actress - who is currently undertaking a six-month break from the soap as Dot Cotton - features on her godson Tim Arnold's track 'Soho Heroes', reports The Mirror.

Arnold - who is dating Brown's co-star Jessie Wallace - records under the stage name Soho Hobo.

The track is described as "somewhere between Blur and the Divine Comedy" and is released on Monday (July 23).

A source said: "June and Tim are great friends.

"She loves to help him out. She loves his music and Tim is delighted about her agreeing to take part."

The song is dubbed as a "tribute to the figures who have each made their mark living or working in Soho over 400 years".

Brown recently made a tearful reunion with her former co-star John Bardon for a BBC TV documentary.

Thread Information