Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastenders General News Thread

EastEnders star Samantha Janus has admitted that she felt anxious after hearing that Danielle would be killed off.

The actress, who plays Ronnie Mitchell on the BBC One soap, expected a backlash from fans who were hoping for a happy ending to Danielle's (Lauren Crace) seven-month storyline.

Danielle was killed in a car accident last week, just moments after telling Ronnie that she was her daughter.

Speaking about her concerns in an interview with We Love Telly! magazine, Janus explained: "I wasn't sure how the audience would react. I thought if everyone was expecting a happy ending they'd be angry. But I still think it had a lot of impact."

In recent days, thousands of fans have signed an online petition to express their unhappiness over the plot's conclusion.

However, the soap's executive producer Diederick Santer has defended the twist, claiming that it was an "inevitable" storyline move.

EastEnders veteran June Brown has hinted that John Bardon is to make a return to the soap in June as her screen husband Jim Branning.

The 82-year-old BAFTA nominee, who plays Walford's Dot Branning, yesterday spoke of her Bardon's ongoing improvement since his stroke in June 2007.

She told The Mirror: "John is coming back in June and he is improving all the time. You just keep all your fingers crossed that Jim will be back. He won’t be grumpy and he will talk as much as he can."

Bardon has since filmed three brief appearances as Jim, who has also suffered a stroke in the soap's storylines. Jim first returned to the Square for his birthday on August 11. On December 4, his son Jack (Scott Maslen) paid him a visit in the care home and later that month, he surprised Dot by turning up on her doorstep on Christmas Day.

Speaking of Bardon's potential return, executive producer Diederick Santer yesterday told DS: "I saw John last week and he's in good form. He's keen to come back and we just have to work around him to make sure that he's comfortable when he's here."

He added: "All things being equal, we'll definitely be seeing him again in the show before too long."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

matt1378 (23-04-2009)

EastEnders actress June Brown has joked that she is now wary of award statues after one of her old trophies nearly flattened her.

Last month, the 82-year-old was given a BAFTA nod for her groundbreaking single-hander episode of the Walford soap.

The 27-minute monologue saw her chain-smoking character Dot Branning record an audio message as part of a compilation for husband Jim Branning, who had suffered a stroke like John Bardon, the actor who plays him.

Speaking of how she learned of her BAFTA nomination, Brown told The Mirror: "Diederick Santer, our guv'nor, rang me up quite early in the morning, so I wasn’t best pleased because he woke me up. But it was nice of him.

"I don't believe anything is going to happen until it does, until you see your name on paper or it actually happens and you have something in your hand. So I don't get too excited.

She joked: "I have got quite a few awards already in the garage, one of them nearly flattened me. It fell off the cupboard and made a dent in the floor. So we are quite wary of awards, because they are heavy things."

She added: "The cast have been lovely. Everyone is almost more pleased than I am because I'm a grumpy old thing really."

Brown is the first soap actress to receive a BAFTA nomination since Coronation Street legend Jean Alexander for her portrayal of Hilda Ogden in 1989.

EastEnders is also nominated for best continuing drama at the ceremony, which takes place on April 26.

Danny Dyer turned down a starring role in a British soap opera - because he was terrified of the huge amount of publicity the show receives.

The movie tough-guy was approached to appear in hit U.K. show EastEnders, which chronicles life in London.

But Dyer rejected the role, which was devised with him in mind - because the series' stars regularly make headline news in Britain.

He says, "I met John Yorke, controller of drama production. He asked if I would be willing to go in and shake up a few of the characters.

"He said they would write a synopsis and then take me out to dinner and anything I wanted to change, I could change, which gives me a bit of power.

"I quite like the idea of it. But actually, in reality, I just got cold feet. Just from having a meeting it's all over the newspapers and it gave me the horrors. Imagine if I went in it.

"With the EastEnders thing the whole publicity gets out of hand. It's like a whole new beast. It's not something I fancy. I don't want to write if off totally but at this point in my career I think it would be madness."

BARBARA Windsor has revealed she’s like to jump ship to join the Corrie cobbles.

The EastEnders actress said she’d like a stint on the rival soap because it would add to her list of achievements.
    The 71-year-old said: "I kind of have worked with most people I'd want to.
    "I suppose I wouldn't mind having a go in Coronation Street for a bit, you know, see how they do it."
    The Carry On star arrived in Albert Square as tough Peggy Mitchell in 1994.

SOURCE: The Sun Online
    Carpe Diem ~ seize the day!

I look forward to alan's reply haha!
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Quote Originally Posted by megan999 View Post
    BARBARA Windsor has revealed she’s like to jump ship to join the Corrie cobbles.

The EastEnders actress said she’d like a stint on the rival soap because it would add to her list of achievements.
    The 71-year-old said: "I kind of have worked with most people I'd want to.
    "I suppose I wouldn't mind having a go in Coronation Street for a bit, you know, see how they do it."
    The Carry On star arrived in Albert Square as tough Peggy Mitchell in 1994.

SOURCE: The Sun Online
    No way is the poison dwarf getting to join corrie, if they give her a role they will have half of the ex cast following her.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k9 View Post
    I can't wait for that
    Super Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k9 View Post
    I can't wait for that
    Same here I hope that she is staying down south though, I would not like to see her in Corrie

Former EastEnders actor Tom Watt will make a guest appearance in an episode of Doctors alongside familiar soap face Sue Jenkins.

The 53-year-old, who played the role of Lofty Holloway between 1985 and 1987, takes on the role of idle layabout Ray MacGyver, while Jenkins portrays his terminally ill screen wife Brenda.

Ray, who happily spends more time at the local watering hole or in the local police cell than with his family at their home on the local caravan park, knows his wife is ill, but is unaware of the true extent of her illness.

Meanwhile, both Ray and Brenda are forced to deal with the news that their wayward daughter Carly - played by Sue Jenkins' real-life daughter Emily Fleeshman - is pregnant by the local wannabe gangster.

Producer Fiona Pandelus said: "'The MacGyvers' is a brilliantly told story about a ramshackle family confronting very real issues of separation and loss. Capturing both the humour and the uncertainties of these characters is no mean feat and so we're absolutely thrilled to have such a superb cast in Tom Watt, Sue Jenkins and her real-life daughter Emily Fleeshman."

She added: "Together they bring the perfect blend of comedy and emotion to this cracking story by Paul Matthew Thompson - stand by to laugh and cry!"

Jenkins has previously appeared as barmaid Gloria Todd in Coronation Street, Jackie Corkhill in Brookside and Emmerdale's Bonnie Drinkwater. She previously appeared in two episodes of Doctors, titled ''Without You'' and 'If You Don't Know Me By Now'.

The episode, entitled 'The MacGyvers', was filmed earlier this month and is due to transmit on Thursday, July 30 on BBC One.

Thread Information