Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: All The Small Things

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I have missed it, could somebody just briefly explain what happened? I can't watch it on iplayer etc. due to my location
    Ok then, I will have a bash..(not very good at this kind of thing really.)

Brief synopsis. (hope this helps a little bit) sorry about I-player.

The death of Binsey (Monica's) brother Edgar, comes as rather a shock to all his friends, as they are performing together having fun, at an impromptu gig at the church.
    Jake and Esther are thrown together, when Binsey enlists their help in pulling off Edgar's rather unconventional(to say the least) last request…to have a funeral pyre like the one given to an old member of a rock band.(I’m guessing in the 70’s). Binsey is the Executrix of the will and wants to carry out his last wishes...much to Ethel's horror!

Layla and Michael seem to be having a few thoughtful *moments* after she invites Esther's boys to dinner...and Layla describes Kyle as *difficult*..(the dinner party scene was interesting as you can imagine!) haha!

Jake decides to come clean to Esther - both about his past(he was/is an alcoholic) and his feelings for her. He also discloses that Layla is his sister.
    Binsey (or Monica) Edgar and Ethel Tonks are all related, but have been estranged for twenty or so years after they find out that Gilbert, (Ethel’s hubby) had been having an affair.
    The end scene at night, shows Esther’s little group on the top of the dales (or whatever hilly range it is)….watching the funeral pyre of Edgar – all singing and playing instruments together.
    Finally, Ethel and Gilbert ( having made up after a heated revelation about the affair with the other woman and their (Ethel and Gilbert’s) sexless marriage, whilst standing in the churchyard after the funeral standby,watching at a distance, too. (It was quite emotional)

The funeral was kind of hi-jacked - they (Esther and Binsey and co, stole the body to take Edgar to his final resting place)

Sorry Perdita, I told you I was rubbish at this kind of thing..*T*
    Last edited by Tigerpip; 29-04-2009 at 18:34.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerpip For This Useful Post:

Perdita (30-04-2009)

I was rather shocked last night

why abbie? i love this show- how cute is jake the vicar? although sometimes esther acn come a cross as a bit up her self

i was shocked too, i really was not expecting the sister thing

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    I really really love this show,,, do we know how many episodes are left for us to watch of this series ??? I hope it returns again ....

I sure did not see the sister thing coming AT ALL,, I do not like I mean do not like Ethel, I just do not like the actress that plays her at all.

How on earth did Ethel figure out where the funeral pyre was going to be ???

Layla is grating on my nerves !!!!!!!!!!! I just do not like the airhead...

Quote Originally Posted by JustJodi View Post
    I really really love this show,,, do we know how many episodes are left for us to watch of this series ??? I hope it returns again ....

I sure did not see the sister thing coming AT ALL,, I do not like I mean do not like Ethel, I just do not like the actress that plays her at all.

HTML Code:
    How on earth did Ethel figure out where the funeral pyre was going to be ???
    SIZE]

Layla is grating on my nerves !!!!!!!!!!! I just do not like the airhead...
    Hi Jodi -- we are left with just the final episode of this drama series which is going to be shown Tuesday evening.
    I also hope we see a return at some time, but think possibly the drama has run its course, and may not have enough oomph ( or new ideas) for a return..
    However, we shall see..

I'm guessing that at some time when Ethel and her brother and sister were still friends/talking to one another, the location of the previous funeral (the old rock-band member) was known to them all..?? It could, of course just be she saw the fire from the road and turned up!-
    *T*

She knew because Binsey said remember the lead singer of the band, and she did.. Thats how she came to end up there. i think anyway.

I really hope Esther and Jake nd up together, they so cute..

Not sure what to make of the ending, Esther's behaviour got on my nerves at the end. I suppose it is left open now for a second series though.

i agree totally, she was a bit pompous and up herself!!!!

i thought she should have got with jake

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Wolf For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (06-05-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Not sure what to make of the ending, Esther's behaviour got on my nerves at the end. I suppose it is left open now for a second series though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    i agree totally, she was a bit pompous and up herself!!!!

i thought she should have got with jake
    A really crap ending to what was an excellent 'feel good' series. Hopefully the the reason for this was Perdita says to leave it open for a second series
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information