Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tointon, Groves to be written out of 'Enders

Tointon, Groves to be written out of 'Enders

EastEnders screen couple Kara Tointon and Ricky Groves are to be written out of the BBC soap.

The contracts of the pair were allegedly up for renewal this summer, but the soap's producers took the decision to write them out in a storyline which sees their characters' relationship put to the test.

Speaking of the move, 25-year-old Tointon, who has played unlucky-in-love mother Dawn Swann since 2005, said: "Being at EastEnders has been the best four years of my life. The show has given me fantastic opportunities and I've been able to learn so much from the people I've worked with. I will always hold the show dear to my heart and will continue to be an avid fan."

She added: "I'm excited about what the next few months have in store for Dawn and as an actress I look forward to trying new roles."

Meanwhile, Groves, 40, commented: "It is coming on to ten years now that I have been at EastEnders. The programme has been very kind to me over the years and it has been a wonderful experience playing the role of the loveable Garry Hobbs. However now seems a good time to try new opportunities and I am looking forward to exploring new things."

Executive producer Diederick Santer said of the move: "EastEnders has benefited hugely from Ricky and Kara's great performances over the last few years. As individuals and together Garry and Dawn have had their share of comedy, drama and excitement and Ricky and Kara have delivered it all with talent, skill and flair."

He added: "They've got some fantastic stuff to come - this spring and summer sees their love truly put to the test - and they go with our thanks and very best wishes."

Meanwhile, an insider teased: "There's another spanner in the works to come for the hapless mechanic when his relationship with Dawn is once against tested this summer. Will there be a happy ending or will they go their separate ways when they leave Walford?"

The pair will remain filming until summer and will bow out on screen later in the year.

I so wanted them to get together and stay together.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

matt1378 (28-03-2009), tammyy2j (26-03-2009)

Yeah let them stay together and leave together... there is nothing more for them
    Super Mod

It is not a great shock that these two are being written out. Both Gary and Dawn haven't had a lot to do lately. Dawn's only decent story was with the mad Doc and Gary has just been hanging around with Minty for years.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

not those two
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

sad to say, but i think theyve run there course.
    haha i only just found out the other day that her sister played 'katy' in hollyoaks (:
    i knew they looked similar! lol
    Last edited by Lysette; 26-03-2009 at 12:23.

Glad Garry is going, hes been annoying me for the last few years, the only thing he had going was his and Minty's banter. Sad about Dawn leaving, but she went a bit boring when they killed off Jase, I loved those 2 together, if they showed her bonding with Jay after Jase's death, then she would have been a part of EE, but lately she feels more like an extra.

It has been announced that Kara Tointon and Ricky Groves, who play Dawn and Garry, will be leaving EastEnders.

The pair's contracts have not been renewed, and they will leave Albert Square in ‘a dramatic storyline’ to air in summer. Kara, said, ‘It has been the best four years of my life. I will always hold the show dear to my heart.’ Ricky added, ‘It has been wonderful playing Garry. But I am looking forward to new things.’
    I'm glad Dawn is leaving she was a wooden character played by a terrrible actress

I like Garry so i hope he gets a happy ending but he is too good for Dawn

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    aww let them go.....do not really give a hoot.. so bye bye Garry and Dawn...wonder if they will LEAVE together ??? ( I smell a story line LOL )
    Poor Minty he will be alone again :-(

Once they put Gary and Dawn together there was nothing left for the characters to do. Can't keep having Dawn turn him down and Gary mope about for a bit.

Hope they do have a happy exit though.

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Once they put Gary and Dawn together there was nothing left for the characters to do. Can't keep having Dawn turn him down and Gary mope about for a bit.

Hope they do have a happy exit though.
    I agree with you Joanne,, wonder how they will exit this one ?? TRAIN, BUS, CAB,ON FOOT lol

Thread Information