Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fern Britton leaving This Morning

Emma Forbes is reportedly being considered as a replacement for Fern Britton on This Morning.

Britton announced earlier this week that she would be leaving her job as co-presenter on the ITV show at the end of its current season.

Channel executives believe that Forbes, 43, who hosted Live & Kicking in the '90s, is a perfect replacement to work with Phillip Schofield, sources told the Mail On Sunday.

An insider commented: "There are a lot of names being touted about, but Emma is the one.

"She fits the bill because she is a mother, she's pretty but not too chic, costs much less than Fern and won't be intent on being the main star of the show - which will suit Phil."

ITV said no decision has been made as to who will replace Britton, who has since accepted a new role with the BBC.

A spokesman said: "There has been a lot of speculation and I've had at least a dozen different names put to me over the past few days. But nothing has been decided."

I would prefer Emma to Mel Sykes anytime

FERN Britton’s hubby has landed a prime-time show on ITV — just as his wife angrily quits the network.

Phil Vickery, 47, will host a consumer series exposing filth and bad service at restaurants.

The series is set to screen in summer, just as Fern, 51, leaves This Morning —where chef Phil has a weekly cooking spot.

Phillip Schofield’s co-host announced she was quitting last month after a reported row with ITV bosses over her salary and lack of peaktime work.

An ITV insider said: “When Fern announced she was leaving This Morning, some people thought that might be the end of Phil’s appearances, too.

“But Phil is a really popular personality in his own right.”

The latest rumour is that Christine Bleakley has been selected to replace Fern Britton. This story made front page news in the Sunday Life, a Northern Ireland Sunday newspaper. Unfortunately I am unable at this time to print a link to the story.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Christine Bleakley is the "number one choice" to replace Fern Britton on This Morning, it has been claimed.

The 29-year-old TV host has become a household name since joining BBC One's The One Show in 2007.

Bleakley, who fronts the programme with Adrian Chiles, could now be lured to ITV if the broadcaster agrees to top her current £100,000 salary.

An insider told The Mirror: "She can think on her feet and works well with Chiles, even though he's a bit of a handful and she admitted to not liking him at first. She's a great foil for an older male co-host because she's pretty but smart, too.

"Christine also has warmth which makes other women like her - which is very important for a show like This Morning."

Britton announced that she was quitting This Morning last month. She will present her final show on July 17.

From DS

Northern Ireland’s TV glamour girl Christine Bleakley could be bringing her winning smile to daytime television as co-host of hit show This Morning.

Christine, who is currently joint host of the BBC’s The One Show, is understood to be considering a lucrative offer from ITV — believed to be £200,000 — to replace Fern Britton on the popular morning programme.

Bosses from This Morning are understood to have been pursuing the 29-year-old Newtownards girl after Britton announced last month that she was quitting the show after 10 years.

Sources have said that Christine will be meeting with her agent this week to discuss the offer, believed to be double what she is paid by the BBC. However the huge pay rise would still fall short of the £750,000 a year which Britton has been receiving for co-hosting This Morning alongside PhillipSchofield.

Christine, who recently lit up Saturday night screens with her performances on Strictly Come Dancing, has been up against other top TV names who are vying for the coveted job.

These are understood to include fellow Northern Ireland beauty Zoe Salmon, who last month said she would “love it, if they asked me to do it”.

Other well-known names reported to be interested included Myleene Klass, Natasha Kaplinsky and Fiona Phillips.

Christine, a former Bloomfield Collegiate head girl, has become one of the UK’s most popular television presenters in recent years.

Her rapport with The One Show co-presenter Adrian Chiles since August 2007 has also endeared her to teatime audiences.

Although she would not talk specifically about a possible move, Christine told our sister paper the Sunday Life yesterday: “This Morning is something which has come completely out of the ether.

“But I have to say that, more than anything else, it is incredibly flattering to even have my name in the frame for the job.”

Phillip Schofield is reportedly backing Myleene Klass to replace departing presenter Fern Britton on This Morning.

According to The Mirror, Schofield has told bosses at the ITV1 show that the former Hear'Say singer would help boost ratings because of her "combination of talent, personality and looks".

"Phillip thinks Myleene is perfect for the job and has made sure his voice is heard," explained an unnamed source. "[His] opinion is well respected among senior execs, and if he's confident he could work with Myleene then execs will listen.

"After all, he's the one who's going to have to work with her. The money is a big selling point too."

The insider added that the 31-year-old could probably be signed at a "massively reduced cost", with bosses likely to offer her less than Britton's current deal.

Britton will step down from the daytime programme in July after a ten-year stint on the show.

Earlier this month, Richard Madeley suggested that Klass would be an "excellent" replacement, adding: "[She does] so many things so that might have an impact."

Christine turns down This Morning preferring to stay with Adrian Chiles

Their on-screen chemistry and public friendship has raised questions about their relationship off camera.

Now it seems The One Show host Christine Bleakley has turned down Fern Britton’s spot on This Morning, preferring to continue working with Adrian Chiles instead.

Bleakley and Chiles attended Sunday night’s Bafta Television Awards, and presented the factual series award together.

Reason to stay? Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley pose at the Bafta Television Awards on Sunday night

The 29-year-old Northern Irish presenter confirmed she had been in discussions with This Morning about replacing Britton, who is quitting in July.

She said: ‘I am more than happy at The One Show. [Doing This Morning] would mean getting up very early. I am definitely a night owl. It is a nice thing to be asked but I am very happy where I am for the time being.’

Britton, 51, announced she was leaving the popular daytime show after ten years in March.

Fiona Phillips, Emma Forbes, Ruth Langsford and Gabby Logan are among the other contenders to replace her.

'More than happy': Christine turned down Fern Britton’s spot on This Morning, preferring to continue working with Adrian

Bleakley, who wore a plunging green Amanda Wakely dress, looked relaxed and happy as she posed for photographs with Chiles.

The pair have both split with their long-term partners since working together on The One Show, but have always insisted they are just good friends.

She explained: ‘We are good mates. We work together so much, you have to get along. I think people have bought into the fact we sit on the sofa together, so in some ways that's a compliment.'

Leaving in July: Fern Britton

Last year, speculation about their growing friendship reached fever pitch after they were pictured spending time in a West London flat together.

They were photographed separately arriving at the flat in Kensington, which is understood to be empty and belongs to a relative of Chiles.

The couple spent around an hour there according to media reports.

Chiles, 42, later admitted the situation ‘looked suspicious but was totally innocent’, but was adamant they had just gone there to eat a kebab supper.

‘We were in there for 52 minutes with two mixed kebabs. And if anything else was going on, would we have bothered with the mixed kebabs?,’ he said in an interview with The Times.

He also suggested that Miss Bleakley was out of his league.

'Look at her and look at me! West Brom might quite like to sign Ronaldo but it is simply not going to happen,' he said, alluding to his modest football team and the glamorous Manchester United player.

'As anyone I grew up with would tell you, if anyone was capable of getting Britain's most desirable woman into an empty property and do nothing but eat kebabs, I am that man,' he added.

Bleakley split from her boyfriend Mark Beirne in January, while Chiles's marriage to Radio 4 Woman's Hour presenter Jane Garvey, with whom he has two daughters, broke down a year ago.

He moved out of the family home in Shepherd's Bush, West London and now lives in Chiswick.

The star has said that his friendship with Bleakley had helped him through a difficult year.

'Yes, it has been fundamentally really, really important and mutually beneficial as well,' he said.

'Those working relationships don't grow on trees. I count my blessings on that, although it has caused a certain amount of collateral damage with all the rumours.'

Several big names are facing the axe from This Morning, according to The Mirror.

ITV chiefs are reportedly planning a massive cull of presenters on their flagship daytime show.

The tabloid reports that those under threat include Denise Robertson, Alison Hammond, Paul Ross, Andrew Oxlade, Nadine Baggott, Dr Chris Steele and Fern Britton's husband Phil Vickery.

A show insider is quoted as saying: "There is a huge family of regular experts on the show and this will be a tough process for them. Some may leave while others might find they have to take pay cuts or are used less.

They added: "No-one is safe at the moment."

An ITV spokesperson insisted there were no plans to cut the budget, but did admit: "We want to revamp the show to keep it fresh.

"We will be looking at all the experts who currently appear to make sure we have the right mix. It's a root and branch review in order to make sure the show continues on an upward path."

The shake-up comes just weeks after Fern Britton announced that she was to step down from presenting This Morning.

Noooo! They cant get rid of Denise and Dr Chris!!!!!

I hope they also keep Alison Hammond, I really like her. Don't care too much for Nadine Baggott and I suppose they can get another tv chef if they decide to give Phil Vickery the boot.

Davina McCall has become the latest star to join the contest to replace Fern Britton as This Morning presenter.

The Big Brother veteran is keen to switch roles and join Phillip Schofield on the sofa. ITV bosses believe the 41-year-old would attract a wide female audience and boost ratings.

A source said: “Davina has been looking for a new challenge on TV and presenting This Morning would fit the bill.

“She is always game for trying things and would get stuck into everything from the cooking and fashion on the show, to conducting the interviews.

“ITV boss Peter Fincham is a big fan of hers, so she is definitely a contender.” Davina is thought to be considering quitting Big Brother after the 10th series this summer.

This Morning chiefs are looking to pay less for the next female star after splashing out £750,000 on Fern’s contract in the past.

But Davina may be willing to take a smaller wage as she has few jobs outside of Big Brother at the moment.

Other names in the frame for the job include Fiona Phillips, Kate Garraway, Ruth Langsford and Gaby Roslin. Gaby said: “The chance to do live TV every day would be fabulous. I’ve known Phillip for years. I’d love to do it.”

This week, the Mirror revealed This Morning is getting a massive revamp over the summer before it returns in September.

The shake up will mean some of the show’s experts are likely to be axed. Fern leaves the show in July.

But ITV insist the changes are not part of a budget cut and the makeover is aimed at attracting more viewers.

Thread Information