Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downs test?

Congratulations, Dr. Tangliss, all the best

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dr. Tangliss (29-03-2009)

Congrats Dr T

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Debs For This Useful Post:

The test is optional. My midwife asked if i wanted it done and advised me to have it done but said at the end of the day its up to the patient.

They do this blood test around the time of your first scan cos they take into account something like the amount of space or summat behind the babies neck or something like that lol. Then about a week later you receive your results in a 1 in so many chance.

If your results are under a 1 in 200 chance you will be classed as high risk and then will be offered further tests.

My results were 1 in 32,000 so really low risk lol.

But anyway as i said the test is optional and totally your decision.
    I figured out why I'm so fat!!! The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says "for extra volume and body" on the bottle. I'm going to start using dishwasher liquid, cos it says "removes fat that is otherwise difficult to remove" on the bottle!

You don't have to have it done - I was recommended to have it done as I was considered an older mother (I was only 35 1st time and 37 second) but I didn't have it done because if anything was wrong I couldn't have had an abortion - not in my nature - there was no pressure, but they did suggest it at every scan visit until they got the hint - I didn't want it, think they were covering themselves. I was also recommended to have some other test(can't remember what exactly, but they would insert a needle to draw fluid through my vagina, it turned out when I spoke to a midwife, this was again an optional test, apparently some doctors at the hospital were writing some paper on it and wanted volunteers - needless to say refused that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tangliss View Post
    Debs is right, the first bloods you have taken are to check for HIV status, Hep B, Rubella immunity, rhesus factor, anaemia, etc... Then around 12-16 weeks you are asked if you wish to have further bloods taken to test for Downs and spina bifida, which you can say no to if you do not wish to know. I opted for this on all my pregnancies, including my recent one (now 25 weeks with baby number 3). It then calculates your risk factor, going on your bloods, age and other factors.
    congrats
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to di marco For This Useful Post:

When I was pregnant with Marley I had the test done and thankfully it came back a low risk I wouldn't have gotten rid of her even if it did come back as a high risk. I had to give blood every ante-natal visit as I have Rehus-Negative blood group.

Congrtulations on addition number 3 Dr T another SB baby

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

Thread Information