Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downs test?

Downs test?

Do pregnant women HAVE to have this? and what if you dont? can someone get in trouble for not arranging one with the patient especially if the child turns out to be downs?

Sig dedicated to Charley

I was never asked to have it done but I am sure you can ask yourself
    Super Mod

Hi Vicky,

The first test you get is just a blood test and it is for many more things than downs.

It is strongly advised that you get this test, but in this country I do not believe that they can make you give blood for a test without your consent.

The second test, if your blood test suggests that there may be a raised risk is the amniocentisis test (please excuse my spelling).

This test has a 1 in 100 risk of inducing miscarriage, but it does let you know with certainty if your child has downs (or other chromosomal abnormalities).

It is up to the mother to decide whether or not to have this test - you will not get into trouble if you don't - in fact several of my friends were recommended the test and refused it. Another took the test, her baby was fine and didn't have downs although her blood test had shown a raised risk. (The other two friends who refused the test also went on to have healthy babies - although they were worried sick for 6 months).

From the point of the health professional, I would imagine that they have to recommend strongly that the tests are done, and I would say document fully the patients refusal to have the test - I don't know if the re is a standard disclaimer or something to sign?
    Last edited by Trinity; 23-03-2009 at 17:41.

ah ok... didn't realise the first blood test was for that... I had my one tested for HIV and other stuff...
    Super Mod

If you are in a high risk category (over 40, family history of Down's) then you will be advised about an amnio. There are all sorts of risks with amnios but it's up to the parents to make an informed decision.

I think there's also something called a nuchal fold scan which looks at the back of the neck.

Trinity is right, you cannot be forced to have a blood test. It's classed as assault if you are.
    Thanks CrazyLea

My friend had her very first scan at 10 weeks 3 days (due to not knowing exactly how far she had gone at that stage - she thought she was 14 weeks) anyway the day after the scan she went to the midwife (as down here, not sure about other places our midwives are not based in hospitals) so she went through several forms with my friend that she had to fill in, and bits of paper that she needs when she went for certain tests, she mentioned the downs test said she HAD to go for it as it would see what the chances were of the baby having downs (or something like that) and she was sent away with a pink peice of paper that she was supposed to take with her.

That was the only mention of the test and she is 21/22 weeks now and when we was talking to eachother about it we both said it seemed very odd that the midwife had seemed so adament that she HAD to have it done, but she was never contacted about it or it was never mentioned again at visits she has had since then

Sig dedicated to Charley

I remember being advised to have this test done, but I went to the doctor's surgery to ask for it to be done. No problem, quick blood test and after a week or so I got the result. Might be a lot faster these days.

My first bloods were for hiv, iron etc etc then at my 12 week scan i had another blood test. this apparently along with results from my scan would tell me if i was at high or low risk of having a child with downs syndrome. if i had come back high risk then i would have been offered further testing.

as far as i am aware you cannot be made to have bloods! They have to ask for consent before anyway

Debs is right, the first bloods you have taken are to check for HIV status, Hep B, Rubella immunity, rhesus factor, anaemia, etc... Then around 12-16 weeks you are asked if you wish to have further bloods taken to test for Downs and spina bifida, which you can say no to if you do not wish to know. I opted for this on all my pregnancies, including my recent one (now 25 weeks with baby number 3). It then calculates your risk factor, going on your bloods, age and other factors.
    Medical School Guide Forums
    Soapboards approved link - rimmer

Congrats DR T...hope all goes well for you
    Super Mod

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Dr. Tangliss (26-03-2009)

Thread Information