Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren and Nancy

Darren and Nancy

Hollyoaks' Nancy Hayton - played by Jessica Fox - has been living in ignorant bliss for the past number of weeks, as she's continued her secret liaisons with both men in her life - boyfriend Ravi (Stephen Uppal) and bit on the side Kris (Gerard McCarthy). Unbeknown to Nancy, though, Ravi and Kris have been engaging in their own secret rendezvous. Just what will Nancy say when she rumbles their secret? We gave Jessica a call to find out more about the reveal and the threesome's surprising pact.

Nancy finally catches Ravi and Kris at it in The Loft…
    "At that point, Nancy's going to break up with Ravi as she's decided that she wants to be with Kris. Kris declared his love for her and shocked Nancy into thinking she feels the same way back. She then can't believe it that she finds Kris snogging her boyfriend!"

In the aftermath of the revelation, what happens?
    "I thought she'd be flying in there, fists flailing, but this has completely stumped her. For the first time ever, Nancy has nothing to say. She just bolts."

Did you not think it strange that she doesn't lash out at one of them?
    "Well, we spoke about it and we agreed that it's great that for the first time ever, she ends up speechless. She's always got a comeback for everyone, but in this case she just doesn't do anything. We just went the pure shock factor and tried to put across that everyone's been sleeping with each other, so we've really go no right to be angry with each other."

What happens instead?
    "She goes to The Dog and runs into Hannah's arms. She doesn't quite tell her the whole story, but then Kris announces to the room that Nancy's been at it, too."

Then there's a shocking decision made…
    "Yeah, I couldn't believe this bit! Nancy, Ravi and Kris decide that they're going to carry on as they were before, but with each other's consent! No words could describe how I felt when I read it for the first time! There's no such things as a threesome in Hollyoaks at 6.30pm, so they went for this three-way relationship idea. She's not comfortable in the slightest, though. Throughout the week, though, Nancy finds the whole situation too difficult and calls it quits quite quickly."

Does she know who or what she wants?
    "I think she just wants a boyfriend and someone who'll love and look after her. Deep down, she wants that security which a conventional relationship brings as she hasn't had that for so long. Everyone around her dies! What she doesn't realise is that she has a potential relationship right under her nose."

Who with?
    "Russ! I don't think it's occurred to either of them that they could be something more and they're perfect for each other…"

What was your first reaction to this storyline?
    "Bryan [Kirkwood] told me that we were going to do a storyline with Kris and Nancy, and I was pleased because I always thought Nancy and Kris would go well together. Then he went on to say that she'd be involved with Ravi at the same time. I was quite shocked to be honest! Nancy's never cheated on anyone in her life because that's not who she is. But Bryan said to me 'we're going to have a lot of fun with this and I want it to be like a Carry On with loads of door-shutting and times when you don't know who's going to get caught'. So that's what we went for in the end."

Hollyoaks' Nancy on Jake and her hair

Earlier this week, I managed to catch up with Hollyoaks favourite Jessica Fox to chat about her character Nancy's forthcoming storyline reveal - when she discovers that Ravi (Stephen Uppal) and Kris (Gerard McCarthy) have been sleeping with each other behind her back.

To hear more from Jess about the storyline, click here. Read on, though, if you're interested in hearing what she has to say about Jake Dean, her hair colour and what Nancy might be up to in the foreseeable future...

Do you think it's odd that Nancy's never really mentioned Jake since his departure? Or even visited him for closure?
    "I think she's just drawn a line beneath the situation. She never mentions him - ever. We've tried really hard to make sure that Nancy didn't just snap back into her old self after the whole Jake incident last year. There's always a bit of darkness with her. That's something that really annoys me in soap, when something really dramatic happens to a character and they forget about it a couple of weeks later."

Do you bring Nancy's crazy hair to the character or are you told what colour to dye it?
    "It's a bit of a collaboration to be honest. I had a brown bob forever and I was sick to death of it, so when we came out of the Jake storyline last year, they wanted to change the image. They asked me if I wanted to dye it any colour, so I thought 'let's go red'. I'm now, of course, completely sick to death of it. Everything I own is a pink colour - every towel in my house!"

What colour is she going next?
    "With everything she's been through, I think she's grown up, so those days of desperately needing to shock everyone are probably behind her. She's got to evolve."

You've been quite lucky with the storylines you've had over the last number of years…
    "Yeah, I've been spoilt with the dramatic storylines and now they've given me some good comedic stuff. Nancy's gone full circle and she's had the chance to become a whole character, rather than just one who has no end of tragedy and no end of silly affairs."

Ho long do you see yourself staying with Hollyoaks?
    "I've no idea to be honest. I was initially only meant to be in the show for three episodes, so I've been lucky. At the end of my second day, suddenly there were several more scripts and then a few more. Then I ended up staying! I really love it. You couldn't ask for a more hard working, lovely bunch of people, crew and cast combined."

Ashley Taylor Dawson (Darren Osborne, 'Hollyoaks') DS Interview

Long-standing Hollyoaks resident Darren Osborne experiences a life-changing day in the soap's 3,000th episode this week as his former lover Suzanne Ashworth gives birth to his twin children. Suzanne's waters break at the opening of Tony Hutchinson's new spa Look Sharpe and it's not long before she's calling for Darren to accept his responsibilities and be by her side while she's in labour. But can Darren adjust to the idea of fatherhood, and what will the shock developments in his life mean for his romance with Nancy? DS recently caught up with Ashley Taylor Dawson - who plays Darren - to find out more.

How did you feel about Darren playing such a prominent role in Hollyoaks' 3,000th episode?
    "I loved it! I just thought, 'Bring it on - the more the merrier!' It's great - it's a great storyline for Darren as well after all the ups and downs that he's had in his life. It's been good fun to play."

3,000 episodes is a great milestone - what do you think is the secret of Hollyoaks' success?
    "I think it's that the show is aimed at a younger audience and also that the directors are allowed to be quite artistic with what they do, whereas a lot of the other soaps are multi-camera and studio-based. Obviously we're single-camera and we get to play around with the shots - we have dream scenes and there's a real comedy aspect to it. It keeps the show young, fresh and interesting. Every episode and every week is different - not just with the storylines, but also with what you're seeing and the way it's shot. It's more candy for the eyes, put it that way!"

The storyline of Darren fathering twins with Suzanne surprised a lot of fans when it was first revealed - what was your own reaction when you heard what was in store?
    "I was shocked in the same way, but it's just typical Darren! It's great. Suzanne's return has come at a time when things are going alright for Darren for the first time in his life - he's settled down a bit, he's realised that he's going to go for it with Nancy and everything seems to be going well. But in true Darren style, there's been a big spanner in the works. It makes for a very funny time ahead."

Suzanne gives birth in the 3,000th episode with Darren by her side - what can you tell us about that?
    "They're both in Tony's spa, but Darren wants to avoid her after everything that's happened and because he wants to make it up with Nancy. But then Suzanne's waters break and Darren's just in shock - he doesn't know how to handle anything like that... even kids, never mind babies! Darren doesn't know what to do and it's all a bit of a mess, but Suzanne ends up having to stay in the spa to deliver the babies. Obviously Darren is the father so Suzanne starts shouting for him to get involved and he ends up delivering the babies himself! I think it's a moment where Darren changes a little bit."

Is there a comedy aspect to the birth scenes?
    "Yeah, definitely. I think with Darren, there's always that sense of him being flustered and everything being a bit of a mess, and we see that here. It's pure shock for Darren - he just doesn't know how to react."

Do you think Darren will be a good dad?
    "I think, in his mind, he's forced into it from the beginning. Before the babies are born, he tries to block it out of his head - he's in denial about what's going on. He's tried to tell himself that it's no big deal and that it'll be fine, but the reality of it is massive. When the babies have been born, he does step up to the mark and really tries hard to be the father that he wants to be. It changes him a bit and he matures very quickly, like you'd have to. I think he also enjoys it - he feels complete and like he has a purpose in life, whereas before he was always chasing his tail. That's as much as we know for now."

Will this be a long-term storyline for Darren, or will Suzanne leave the village with the children?
    "I really don't know at the moment. It's touch and go, because Suzanne thinks that she's made a mistake by coming back so she considers going back to Spain. She thinks that Darren is a bit of a joke, really. She knows he means well but she doesn't think that he's father material. But Darren really fights against that because he wants to make a go of it. Whatever goes on with the babies, I think it'll really mess with his head!"

Were you glad to see Suzanne Hall, who plays Suzanne, return the show?
    "Yeah, she's great. Suzanne's an amazing lady: she's great fun to work with and she's obviously an amazing actress as well. I couldn't be happier that she's back."

Have you enjoyed filming the Darren and Nancy romance?
    "Yeah, it's great. It's very funny because Darren and Nancy have always sort of hated each other - he's the opposite of her. She's a feminist and he's a male chauvinist pig! For them to get together is a case of opposites attracting - for some reason it works. I think it's because, throughout their pompous ways, they've both had hard times and been through them with each other because they've known each other for so long. They've never seen eye-to-eye, but I think that when they sit down and chat they realise they have a lot more in common than they think. In the past they just didn't want to accept that."

Can Darren and Nancy's relationship survive after the babies arrive?
    "Well, this is the thing - with the babies involved, Darren tries to juggle the lot and he asks if they can all move in with Nancy. We're used to Darren thinking of himself, but for the first time he's not - he's thinking of the babies. He thinks that everything will be fine, but for Nancy, taking on Darren, two babies and the mother of the children is all a bit too much! I think it'll be an interesting story - finding out how they get out of it, how it works and whether they'll stick together. I think they do have something special and it's been fun filming it, so hopefully they'll give it a go."

How did the cast feel about reaching 3,000 episodes?
    "It's a great milestone for the show. We've done well over the years and, like I say, Hollyoaks always keeps that freshness about it. Every day is different when you're shooting because there's different directors and that's what I enjoy about doing the show - the directors are all doing different things. Hollyoaks has done really well to get where it has considering where it started, and I hope it goes on to progress. We've had different producers in over the years and we've just changed producers again now, so it's onwards and upwards for 2011! I'm looking forward to the future."

Hollyoaks star Jessica Fox has revealed that she wants her character Nancy Hayton to have a massive wedding.

Nancy is currently engaged to Darren Osborne, played by Ashley Taylor Dawson, after they fell for each other late last year.

Fox told Inside Soap of the pair's romance: "It was a relationship that came out of nowhere, but the writers and the audience were so charmed by Nancy and Darren together that it's kept going.

"Everyone wants to be paired up with Ashley, so I just thought, 'Lucky me!' I never thought they were going to last, but we just went for it full throttle."

Discussing how she would like things to progress for the couple, Fox explained: "I would love a big soap wedding. Nancy's last marriage was horrible - she deserves a good one."

Next week's episodes of Hollyoaks see Darren feeling neglected as Nancy seems distracted by her career ambitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Hollyoaks star Jessica Fox has revealed that she wants her character Nancy Hayton to have a massive wedding.

Nancy is currently engaged to Darren Osborne, played by Ashley Taylor Dawson, after they fell for each other late last year.

Fox told Inside Soap of the pair's romance: "It was a relationship that came out of nowhere, but the writers and the audience were so charmed by Nancy and Darren together that it's kept going.

"Everyone wants to be paired up with Ashley, so I just thought, 'Lucky me!' I never thought they were going to last, but we just went for it full throttle."

Discussing how she would like things to progress for the couple, Fox explained: "I would love a big soap wedding. Nancy's last marriage was horrible - she deserves a good one."

Next week's episodes of Hollyoaks see Darren feeling neglected as Nancy seems distracted by her career ambitions.
    Yes I hope they do get hitched

Hollyoaks star Ashley Taylor Dawson has admitted that his character Darren Osborne's upcoming wedding plans could be a big mistake.

As first revealed last month, Darren soon decides that a surprise Valentine's Day ceremony would be the perfect romantic gesture for girlfriend Nancy (Jessica Fox) - so he starts plotting the event in secret.

Dawson told Soaplife of the storyline: "He's got The Dog back, is content with life and thinks, 'Why not?' He wants to show Nancy how much he loves her and thinks a surprise wedding will do that."

Asked whether it's a good idea, the actor replied: "I don't think so. What does Darren know about weddings? Nancy would want something classy and Darren doesn't have any cash. He'll have to call in a lot of favours, but he hasn't got many friends.

"But this is Darren for you. He comes up with an idea - a bad one - and has to see it through even though he could end up upside-down in mud."

Hollyoaks launches the storyline later this month.

Hollyoaks star Jessica Fox has expressed her excitement over future plans for her character Nancy Hayton.

The actress, who has been playing Nancy since 2005, recently landed a new deal to stay with the show for the foreseeable future.

Fox told Inside Soap: "I've just signed a new contract, so I'm sticking around for the time being. I get spoilt with really good plots - and what's coming up is, in my opinion, Nancy's biggest storyline.

"It will be a big year for Nancy and Darren, so I'm very excited."

The 28-year-old added that she was glad to see Nancy moving into The Dog with the Osborne clan at the end of last year. She had previously been living at the Osbornes' house for a few months.

Asked to name her favourite place to film, Fox replied: "It used to be Nancy's flat - I was devastated when we had to move out. Our head of design said I could take anything I wanted, so I auctioned Nancy's freaky doll clock for the charity Breast Cancer Care.

"Nancy's actually moved into the pub with the rest of the Osbornes now, and it's very 'her'."

Hollyoaks airs weekdays at 6.30pm on Channel 4 with a first look screening at 7pm on E4.

Hollyoaks fans will see Nancy Hayton's mother Margaret pay a return visit to the village next month, it has been revealed.

Margaret, who was last seen on screen in 2007, could throw a spanner in the works for Nancy's (Jessica Fox) relationship with Darren (Ashley Taylor Dawson) as All About Soap reports that she is determined to split the pair up once she makes her arrival.

Digital Spy can confirm that actress Darryl Fishwick has reprised the role of Margaret for the return stint.

As fans already know, Darren will soon start plotting a surprise wedding for Nancy, but if Margaret causes trouble, could things go awry for his secret plan?

Hollyoaks will air these scenes in early February.

Hollyoaks star Ashley Taylor Dawson has insisted that his character Darren Osborne isn't interested in Cindy Longford when she makes a move on him later this month.

Cindy (Stephanie Waring) has been helping Darren to plan his secret wedding to Nancy (Jessica Fox) in recent weeks, while still harbouring feelings for him.

As seen in pictures released at the weekend, Cindy will plant a kiss on Darren unexpectedly next week - leaving him stunned.

However, Dawson told TV Times: "Straight away, Darren pushes her away and says, 'No, I'm with Nancy now'.

"He's been through two weddings with Cindy where he's tried to stop her from going ahead with it so she could marry him instead. She didn't take the bait, and he's over all that."

The actor added that the upcoming return of Nancy's mother Margaret will cause Darren to have second thoughts over his plans for a Valentine's Day wedding - as he realises the date has special significance for Nancy.

"When Darren asks Margaret why she's come over, she says she wants to put flowers on Becca's grave on the anniversary of her death - February 14," he said. "He also finds out that Jake tried to rape Nancy on that date."

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4 with a first look screening at 7pm on E4.

Hollyoaks' Nancy Hayton is left reeling next week as her mother Margaret returns from Canada for a surprise visit.

Keen to mend bridges with her daughter, Margaret (Darryl Fishwick) suggests that Nancy should leave the village behind and join her abroad - promising a bright future working for a big newspaper.

However, Margaret's gestures of goodwill don't extend to Nancy's fiancé Darren Osborne (Ashley Taylor Dawson) and she quickly embarks on a nasty scheme to split the couple up. With an oblivious Darren busy plotting his secret wedding to Nancy, is he in danger of losing her altogether due to Margaret's interference?

Here, Jessica Fox - who plays Nancy - chats to Digital Spy about what's to come.

For the benefit of newer viewers, can you remind us of Nancy's relationship with her mother?
    "Well, Nancy is the younger daughter and her older sister Becca was always the apple of Margaret's eye - while Nancy never quite lived up to any of Margaret's expectations. Nancy was a bit like the black sheep of the family, so her relationship with her mum is quite strained and difficult.

"The last time we saw Margaret, she arrived all of a sudden and walked in on Nancy in bed with Jake - who was obviously Becca's ex-husband. Margaret thought that was an absolute disgrace and told Nancy that she never wanted to see her again. After that, Margaret went off to Canada. Nancy and Charlie have been out there to see her since, but I don't think it's something Nancy particularly looks forward to!"

What brings Margaret back to the village?
    "Margaret arrives back in the village with an agenda - but Nancy doesn't know what that is. Nancy just thinks that Margaret has come back to see her, but it takes her completely off-guard."

What happens next?
    "Because of the difficult mother-daughter relationship they've had, Margaret wants Nancy to leave Hollyoaks and move to Canada. That way, she thinks she can mend everything, get Nancy working for an amazing newspaper, and Charlie will have a better upbringing.

"But, of course, Darren is in the picture too. Because Darren is a bit of a loveable fool, Margaret turns her nose up at him and thinks that he's not good enough for Nancy. So she starts trying to split them up."

How does she go about it?
    "What Margaret does is quite vindictive, actually! You'll see her try to make Nancy doubt her relationship with Darren. It's underhand and cruel, because she plays on Nancy's insecurities and self-doubt. Margaret starts making Nancy feel very insecure in the relationship, and she also starts to feel quite unsure about her future in Hollyoaks."

Cindy is involved in the situation too…
    "Yes, Margaret is secretly trying to push Cindy and Darren together. She's constantly stirring and it's evil! She's stirring that relationship up, and there's some scenes where Nancy and Cindy have to compete over who knows Darren better. Cindy comes out on top, so Margaret's attitude is very much, 'There you go - maybe Cindy and Darren should be together'."

Nancy also sees Darren and Cindy in a compromising embrace, doesn't she?
    "She does indeed, and that just fuels the suspicions that Nancy already has. Darren isn't cheating on her, but he has been behaving a bit strangely recently as he's been planning the secret wedding. So Nancy has struggled to pin him down and get hold of him.

"When Nancy sees Darren and Cindy together, it just confirms everything that she thought. To Nancy, it seems that everything her mum is saying is true - that Darren doesn't love her and he has been having an affair."

Does Nancy confront Darren and Cindy?
    "Well, I would have expected Nancy to go in there like a bull in a china shop - kicking, screaming, throwing things and ready to rip Cindy's hair off!

"But I think what's really interesting is that, unusually for Nancy, she can't bring herself to do it. She almost goes into shutdown mode, and you see that this relationship has meant more to Nancy than any other. She's deeply, deeply hurt.

"Nancy then starts sneaking around and asking people in the village if they know what's going on. But they think that she's talking about the secret wedding, and their reactions and shifty looks fuel her suspicions even further…"

Can Nancy and Darren get through this?
    "I hope so! Myself and Ash have had an awful lot of fun working together, so I'd love to see a 'happily ever after'. Well, as much as it can be happy in soapland!"

Did you ever expect the Nancy and Darren pairing to prove so popular?
    "Not at all! I think when we first read that they were putting our characters together, we were surprised but we thought, 'Okay - we'll see how that goes'. It was only ever intended to be quite a short-term thing.

"But then it just seemed to work really well, and they both bring out a really good side in each other's characters. For example, Darren makes Nancy a bit more fun and not quite so uptight, while Nancy brings out a more mature and caring side in Darren. I think that's really fun to see."

If Nancy found out about the secret wedding, would she appreciate the gesture or would she be horrified?
    "I think she'd be horrified if I'm perfectly honest, because she is a control freak. Nancy has very definite ideas of what she wants and what she doesn't, and I think for her, half the fun would probably have been in planning the wedding! I don't know if it's Darren's wisest move, but I think Nancy would also see that he has good intentions."

What is Nancy's idea of a dream wedding?
    "I think for Nancy, it would be something simple but also quite elegant and a bit vintage, as she likes her vintage style. I think she'd love the complete opposite of Mercedes and Riley's wedding!"

Nancy's fans on our forum are keen to see more of her on the show. Is there a big year ahead storyline-wise?
    "It's always hard to judge 100%, but at the moment I've got some really exciting storylines that we're working on. You're going to see a lot more of Nancy this year."

Will we see more of Nancy's friendship with Mitzeee?
    "I hope so, because it's such fun! I think the whole girl group worked really well when we did the Hangover episode, and I know we're all really keen to see more of that. But within that group, Nancy and Mitzeee are definitely best friends."

Would you like to see her make friends with any of the newer characters?
    "I'd like Nancy and Barney to be friends! I think they'd be really funny together. They're both a bit posh and stiff, but when they've had a few drinks, they get really wild - so I think that could be quite a fun friendship."

How's life at Hollyoaks in general at the moment?
    "I think there's a tremendous amount of excitement in the building at the moment. It's a really good sign when all of the actors are running upstairs to check their drawers and see if any new scripts have come out. We can't wait to see what's going to happen next, so there's a great atmosphere at the moment and we're all very excited."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information