A Deirdre Barlow lookalike is being hunted by police after she stole cash from a man who collapsed in the street.

The 49-year-old victim, who discovered that he had a brain tumour three weeks ago, was carrying £2,500 in a bag when he collapsed in Eltham High Street, south-east London. He lay unconscious as the woman, who apparently looked very similar to the Coronation Street character, made off with his money.

CCTV footage shows the thief walking off as paramedics fought to save the man, reports the Daily Express.

The victim said that he could forgive the woman and urged her to return the cash, adding: "I don't feel any real animosity towards this person and I'm not vengeful. She probably thought I was dead and wouldn't need it.

"Nobody really saw her take my bag but the police have told me she's a bit of a Deirdre Barlow lookalike. She must have seen what was in there and thought 'this is too good to leave' and just walked off."

A police spokesman said that it was a "terrible story", adding: "What could have been going through this woman's mind?"