Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Presidential inauguration

Bush hasn't left him much to work with, it will be an up hill struggle for him but here's hopping he has strong enough policies to turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Don't know why but I got awfully emotional watching the inauguration. Now the world has an African American world leader, hopefully racial attacks will become a piece of the past, though sadly I doubt it
    When I went to America last year, the segregation was still very clear. The majority of African American folk there were working the low paid jobs, bus drivers, bellboys, valet etc. The white still had all the power.

I really don't see what the fuss is about. So he's the first black president in the united states. It doesn't make any difference to me what his race is. The media are just drawing attention to the fact that he is black.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Don't know why but I got awfully emotional watching the inauguration. Now the world has an African American world leader, hopefully racial attacks will become a piece of the past, though sadly I doubt it
    When I went to America last year, the segregation was still very clear. The majority of African American folk there were working the low paid jobs, bus drivers, bellboys, valet etc. The white still had all the power.

I really don't see what the fuss is about. So he's the first black president in the united states. It doesn't make any difference to me what his race is. The media are just drawing attention to the fact that he is black.
    He is now proof that the American Dream can happen, thats what the fuss is about. Like you said, segregation has still been very clear in the States, so the fact that he has managed to get the most important and powerfull job in the world shows that attitudes are finally changing. Its a very important step.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (21-01-2009)

my mam got emotional too whilst watching it.

I thought it was nice to see him going in.

i noticed its on iplayer, i might see if i can watch some of it as we were talking about it in our seminar today and my seminar leader said the speeches would be good for us to watch
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

another politican with empty promises, more full the gullible american citizens who believe he will change the world. why will he be any different to any other politican? the world is corrupt, no body delivers what they promise. I'm sure in 4/8 years time we wont be thinking Obama is the best thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    another politican with empty promises, more full the gullible american citizens who believe he will change the world. why will he be any different to any other politican? the world is corrupt, no body delivers what they promise. I'm sure in 4/8 years time we wont be thinking Obama is the best thing ever.
    How can you possibly know his promises are empty, when he hasn't even been in office for a full 24 hours?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (21-01-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    How can you possibly know his promises are empty, when he hasn't even been in office for a full 24 hours?
    he's a poliitican, they will be, like they've been for every politican before him. it's all PR pap to get the votes, then it's the same old bull**** with a different leader. He has good intentions, but so do they all, never quite works out that way in the end though.

I can't remember who said it, but the phrase "we have the best democracy money can buy" rings true for America. Congress is influenced by lobby groups. The more money they have, the bigger the influence. I hope Obama does make a differences in health care, human rights, foreign policy - all the things that Bush ****ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I can't remember who said it, but the phrase "we have the best democracy money can buy" rings true for America. Congress is influenced by lobby groups. The more money they have, the bigger the influence. I hope Obama does make a differences in health care, human rights, foreign policy - all the things that Bush ****ed up.
    I hope that he concentrates more on homeland policy than foreign. Bush spent far too much time and money trying to fix the rest of the world (and failing), and forgot about his own country. If Obama can be more strict and make the U.S. his top priority, especially sorting the banking crisis, then he will be much more successfull than Bush.

Thread Information