Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Windass (Mikey North)

Coronation Street's Gary Windass and Alya Nazir will decide to keep their relationship under wraps after they finally get together later this month.

Gary (Mikey North) and Alya (Sair Khan) have always had chemistry ever since their first meeting at a club in the summer, but they have so far resisted the temptation to enjoy a romance.

Gary and Alya enjoy a romantic walk
    © ITV
    Gary and Alya enjoy a romantic walk

Next week's episodes see the pair vow to take things slowly as they finally get together, but this also means not telling their respective families that they are now an item.

Alya is particularly keen to keep the relationship under wraps as she knows that her family would prefer her to have a much more traditional boyfriend, but she is unable to keep ignoring her growing feelings for Gary and throws caution to the wind.

A show statement teased: "Both are clearly enjoying their dangerous liason, but when the Nazirs move onto the Street, buying Number 6 from Owen, it's only a matter of time before the truth is exposed.

"As Gary and Alya's passions soar, will they be able to keep a lid on their steamy affair, or will news of their relationship cause shockwaves amongst the Nazir family and beyond?"

Alya and Gary kiss.
    © ITV
    Alya and Gary's recent kiss

The relationship is also likely to affect Izzy Armstrong, who still has a close bond with Gary as the mother of his young son Jake.

Coronation Street launches a dark new storyline for Gary Windass this festive season when he is attacked by Roy Cropper after breaks into the cafe and attempts to rob him.

After being dumped by Alya, a depressed Gary continues to face problems with his family and they all turn on him when he breaks his sister Faye's present during a violent outburst on Christmas Day.

Desperate to make amends for his actions, Gary makes a foolish mistake when he sees an opportunity to break into Roy's cafe.

However, when Roy returns home unexpectedly and believes Gary to be one of the youths that robbed him a few months ago, he furiously attacks him and leaves him in a bad way.

Here, Mikey North - who plays Gary - discusses his character's difficult Christmas and what it will mean for both him and Roy.

Gary has had a tough year. Does he feel like the world is against him?
    "Yes, he's not in a good place. It's been one thing after another for him and his family this year, and the only positive thing that has come out of it is that he's met Alya, but even that's landed him in trouble. Gary keeps thinking that his luck has to change soon, but it just feels like it's disaster after disaster and he's stuck between a rock and a hard place."

Kal very angry about his about his romance with Alya. How is Gary coping with that?
    "Not very well. Gary supported Alya when she told him that they'd need to keep their relationship under wraps until she felt it was time to tell her family, but it was always a much bigger deal for Alya than Gary because he had a lot less to lose. I think initially he was probably expecting anger from Kal, but after a while I think Gary grows a bit angry about it himself. I think he questions why Kal is so angry about it and thinks it must be that Alya's family don't think he's good enough for her. It makes him doubt himself and his capabilities in other areas of his life too."

Is Gary devastated when Alya breaks up with him?
    "I think a part of him was almost expecting it, a part of him has been waiting for her to end it because of how much her family were against it and how upset she could see her dad was over it. When Kal employed Owen over him, it was almost the final straw and I think at that point he started to realise that perhaps he was fighting a losing battle. Even though Alya has told him that she can make her own decisions, deep down Gary knows that Kal isn't going to let it drop and that ultimately her loyalties have to lie with her family. He is absolutely devastated because he's really falling for Alya and he knows she feels the same about him."

Is he cross with her for giving into her family and not defending him?
    "No, he's just really really gutted and devastated that he's lost the only good thing he has in his life, apart from Jake. Gary's known deep down that he was losing her, but when she actually tells him it's over he's completely broken by it. He begs her to reconsider even though he knows it's a bit of a lost cause at this stage."

Is his friendship with Kal damaged forever?
    "I don't think Kal will forgive Gary any time soon and equally I think Gary is gutted by how Kal has treated him after they have been friends for a long time. Maybe over time they will build bridges but I think it all depends on where Gary's future lies with Alya."

Is losing his job the final straw?
    "Because he's struggling so much with the thought of losing Alya, I don't think he considered that Kal might sack him. When he does, half of Gary is completely stunned while the other half curses himself for not expecting it. He's just gutted by the whole situation but I think the final straw does come when Gary finds out Kal offered Owen the job instead and Owen accepted it. I think it's just too raw and too close to the bone for him, especially after everything Gary has been through with Owen this year. He sees it as a bit of a betrayal."

After Alya finishes with Gary, is Jake the only positive thing in his life right now?
    "Yes but he feels like he can't even get that right. He loves Jake to bits but Gary just feels like he's a disappointment to everyone."

Izzy blames him for Jake cutting himself and then Owen has a go at him. Does Garry feel like his family are all against him?
    "He thinks all of his family are just waiting for him to mess up and that Izzy, Owen and Katy judge him for the rifts in Alya's family. Gary knows they all feel as though he's put his own family on the backburner and that hurts him a lot. When Izzy blames Gary for a cut Jake has on his arm, she assumes it happened when he was talking to Alya in the street and was obviously not paying attention to his son. In fact it happened when Gary stepped in to help Roy out, but I think his family are past giving him the benefit of the doubt. When Owen then adds to Izzy's blame game Gary just hits rock bottom. He already feels guilty about the fact that they are having to all live in a small flat but when Owen comes out and says it to his face in the cold light of day, it hits him really hard."

Are relations between Gary and Izzy at an all time low?
    "Yes, I think so. A lot of it stems from the fact that Izzy had started to grow hopeful that they might be able to rectify things between them after having a break in their relationship, but then she's hurt and humiliated when she finds out about his relationship with Alya. Then every time she sees Gary with Alya it touches a nerve and the communication between them is really bad."

What happens regarding Jake's Christmas present?
    "The only person who appears to feel sorry for Gary is Faye and she wants to help him make things right. She gives him some money to go and get Jake's present because she knows he has no money and that it'll make things worse for the family if he turns up on Christmas Day with nothing. When Gary realises he's bought the same thing for Jake as his mum, everyone is quick to judge him for it and it's a chance for Izzy and Katy to get digs in about Alya again. I think the reminder of what he's lost doesn't help either. Gary now feels like there's absolutely nothing he can do to make things right or prove himself to his family, so he leaves, returns the present and blows it on booze instead. He just wants to escape."

Is there tension on Christmas Day?
    Gary's only invited back home because Faye persuades Owen and Anna to ask him, so I think there's still a lot of unresolved tension and Gary feels like he's only been invited back into the home because it's Christmas Day. There's still a lot of anger and resentment bubbling under the surface and Owen just won't let it drop that Gary spent Faye's money on booze."

Why does everyone end up turning on him?
    "His mum is despairing because she's had an awful year as well and she was hoping for a peaceful and happy Christmas but Gary's causing problems for everyone. I think because Owen's up in arms about Gary it upsets her. When Gary then comes back drunk, Anna's just reached the end of her tether with him and she's furious that he's ruining Christmas by putting everyone in a bad mood. Gary's sick of everyone having a go at him and he is feeling sorry for himself so he storms out and thinks everyone would clearly be better off spending Christmas without him. He isn't thinking about where he'll go, it's a rash, angry decision he's making and he's also had a lot to drink as well."

What happens when he breaks Faye's gift?
    "Owen and Katy are continually digging at Gary and he just sees red. He loses his temper and ends up breaking Faye's headphones."

What gives him the idea to break into Roy's?
    "Gary's in a really bad way after Christmas Day, he feels like a let down and as though he has nothing left to fight for. He has no money, no job and nobody to talk to - he doesn't want to bother Alya and get her into any more trouble and even his mum isn't speaking to him. He's desperate and even asks other people on the Street to lend him money so he can replace Faye's headphones but nobody seems interested. When he returns without them, he's given short shrift again and Gary's mind just goes into overdrive - he's on autopilot and he just knows he needs to do something, anything, to make things right. It's a desperate measure but he spies Anna's cafe keys and pockets them before he can talk himself out of it. "

Can you tell us about what happens when Roy disturbs him mid-theft?
    "Gary's already overheard Roy telling Carla he will accept her invitation to go round for tea so as far as he's concerned, the cafe will be empty. He doesn't realise that Roy has slipped back into the cafe to avoid the teenagers who are still hanging around outside. So when he lets himself in, he has no clue that Roy is there as well. Roy obviously assumes it's one of the teens that have been pestering him for a while and because he's frightened, he has to protect himself. He doesn't realise it's Gary."

How badly is Gary injured?
    "Gary has to be taken to hospital. He has injuries and a lot of bruises, but he will make a recovery. "

Will he hate Roy for what he did to him?
    "No, completely the opposite. He wants to protect Roy and he thinks this is all his own doing. He resorted to desperate measures and was prepared to do it to a family friend. He feels the lowest of the low."

Coronation Street residents may have to watch out when Gary Windass arrives back on the cobbles with a new attitude this week.

Mikey North, who plays Gary, has warned that his character will mean business when he returns home for the first time since his recent heartbreak.

Gary was left devastated last month when he discovered that his fiancée Alya Nazir had slept with his best friend Jason Grimshaw. Rather than stick around to deal with the fallout, Gary immediately decided to take some time away from Weatherfield.

This week, Gary is back with two big plans in mind - keeping hold of his new stake in the gym and getting his revenge on Jason.

​ Sharif offers to buy back Gary's stake but Gary declines​
    © ITV
    North told Coronation Street's official website: "He has changed a bit. There's more of a steely determination in his eye. He knows what he wants and he's very focused.

"He goes into the gym where he makes an announcement that he wants part of the business, which obviously he's been given by Sharif. Gary thinks that it's his right to have it after what's happened."

On Gary's tense reunion with Jason, North added: "Roy's Rolls is where he first sees him. Gary thinks: 'Do you know what? Instead of hitting him, I'm going to try and get at him another way'.

"He knows Jason's still in love with Eva, so he thinks he can have a bit of fun with Jason by trying to get with Eva. In a jokey way - it's never going to happen, but he just tries to wind Jason up with it and it definitely works!"

Jason walks in as Eva gives Gary a hug and warns Gary off Eva
    While Gary is in no mood to get his romance back on track in the near future, Sair Khan - who plays Alya - recently told Digital Spy that she hopes there's still a chance for the pair.

She said: "I think they do bring out really good sides of each other and it's really interesting to see that. I don't think she'll move on to anyone else anytime soon because I don't think that's her.

"Other characters go from relationship to relationship, but I don't think Alya is like that. Gary is the one for her and I would like them to slowly build back up a relationship."

digitalspy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-11-2015), tammyy2j (24-11-2015)

he still expects a gym share

Hope him and Alya get back together, I think they are well suited

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Hope him and Alya get back together, I think they are well suited
    I don't like them as a couple and I really cant see him with Eva either

He has a cheek. I suppose Anna will support him in the matter

9. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-11-2015)

I think he has potential with Sarah as a couple and now with this Bethany storyline too they will have more scenes

I don't think he should get back with Alya or Izzy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (06-08-2016)

i think sarah should be single for a while

where is gary with all the finanical trouble at the gym

Thread Information