Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Windass (Mikey North)

CORRIE star Mikey North has revealed that his portrayal of a soldier has been so convincing he has inspired young fans to sign up for the Army.
    And he said top brass are so impressed with the way he has nailed the harrowing role that they have written to thank him.

His character, former bad boy Gary Windass, joined up a year ago on the soap, and was caught in a roadside blast in Afghanistan in November.

He is now physically back in good health - but suffers post-traumatic stress disorder like so many of Britain's brave fighters.

Mikey, 24, told TV Biz: "This is the most challenging thing I've ever done, but it's been the most rewarding.

"I had a guy come up to me in the street and said he signed up for the Army because he saw Gary on Corrie and it inspired him." The Yorkshire-born star said he was particularly proud of the way the soap had drawn attention to mental health problems suffered by many troops. He said: "Since the whole post-traumatic stress storyline has played I've had letters from people in the Army - high-up people, too - thanking me for raising awareness of it.

"You've got no idea that you're doing it right, so to get that recognition was reassuring."

Mikey was so determined to understand the experiences of Our Boys and Girls returning from battle that he sought advice from the Royal British Legion and a real-life soldier.

He admitted: "Obviously this was always going to be a high-profile storyline so there was a lot of pressure to make sure we got it right.

"You've got to try to put yourself there in your mind, because obviously I've never been there, and none of my friends or family have either."

At first he was shocked that Gary would suffer mental problems instead of physical ones, as he had expected. Mikey said: "When I was told I was doing the storyline, I immediately thought they would be physical injuries as that's what you expect when someone says they were injured at war.

"But the mental side of things is just as bad, sometimes worse.

"It's certainly more challenging to play them."

Heart-breaking scripts have seen Gary spiral into depression - lashing out at his family and, like many other soldiers suffering post-traumatic stress, hitting the bottle.

Soldiers' families have said they are grateful to see the issue, the subject of The Sun's Stress.O.S campaign, being aired.

Mikey said: "People write and say their son signed up at the same time as Gary and they can relate to the issues. This is not something that affects just the odd person.

"Ex-servicemen should not be going to jail for going off the rails - they should be getting help.

"I was surprised things like PTSD played second fiddle to the physical stuff - the lack of awareness was eye-opening. I hope Gary's story will help."

Steve Huison has confirmed that he will film his Coronation Street exit in six weeks.

The Eddie Windass actor announced that he was being written out of the ITV soap role in December. At the time, he told fans on Twitter that he was "glad", as working on the show no longer provided a challenge.

Writing on the social-networking website this afternoon, Huison revealed that the door has been left open for him to make a return in the future.

"For those who don't know by now I will be leaving Corrie in about 6 weeks," he wrote, before jokingly adding: "Anyone know of any jobs going?"

A short while later, he commented: "It was management choice. They're leaving the door open apparently though."

I hope they bring him back, really don't understand why he has been written out in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I hope they bring him back, really don't understand why he has been written out in the first place :wall]
    I totally agree with you. Eddie is great as part of the Windass family and I'm sorry to see him go.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 09-02-2011 at 15:12.

I really didnt like his character very much at all when the Windybums arrived on T'cobbles but have to say I too have changed my opinion and will be very sorry to see him go

Steve Huison is reluctant to be leaving Coronation Street when character Eddie Windass gets written out in six weeks' time.

But the 47-year-old actor can't wait to see the back of Eddie's long shaggy hair, and is planning to get it all chopped off as soon as his contract ends.

Steve joked on Twitter: "Pass me the shears!

"I was thinking of making a ginger wolf-man mask with the hair. Any better suggestions?"

He admits he is sad to be leaving the show after almost three years as loveable schemer Eddie, but revealed he may be back in the future, as soap bosses aren't killing him off.

Steve tweeted: "For those who don't know by now I will be leaving Corrie in about 6 weeks. Anyone know of any jobs going?

"It was management choice. They're leaving the door open apparently though."

He could always pop up in The Rovers every now and again, trying to flog something that's fallen off the back of a lorry...

I don't watch soaps at all, but just wanted to check the name of the gentleman in the title of the thread. Is this the characters real name? I would hate to think that he is being made fun of due to excess flatulence...

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I don't watch soaps at all, but just wanted to check the name of the gentleman in the title of the thread. Is this the characters real name? I would hate to think that he is being made fun of due to excess flatulence...
    No, that is their name lol

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post

Reminds me of Colin in the Brittas Empire who always called Gordon Mr BritAR$E

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Steve Huison is reluctant to be leaving Coronation Street when character Eddie Windass gets written out in six weeks' time.

But the 47-year-old actor can't wait to see the back of Eddie's long shaggy hair, and is planning to get it all chopped off as soon as his contract ends.

Steve joked on Twitter: "Pass me the shears!

"I was thinking of making a ginger wolf-man mask with the hair. Any better suggestions?"

He admits he is sad to be leaving the show after almost three years as loveable schemer Eddie, but revealed he may be back in the future, as soap bosses aren't killing him off.

Steve tweeted: "For those who don't know by now I will be leaving Corrie in about 6 weeks. Anyone know of any jobs going?

"It was management choice. They're leaving the door open apparently though."

He could always pop up in The Rovers every now and again, trying to flog something that's fallen off the back of a lorry...
    They've still got six weeks to change the storylines and let Eddie stay. Come on Corrie you can do it.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

alan45 (12-02-2011), Dazzle (12-02-2011), parkerman (13-02-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post
    Coronation Street star Steve Huison is to leave the show, it has been revealed.

The actor, who plays Eddie Windass in the ITV1 soap, will leave the cobbles next year after bosses decided to write him out of the drama.

Huison wrote on Twitter: "To be honest, I'll be glad to get on with things. It's all unreal there anyway. No challenge. I'll miss the money and a few good friends."

He then joked: "Do you know what I'm really looking forward to more than anything else? A right bloody good haircut!"

Speaking to the Daily Star Sunday, Coronation Street's producer Phil Collinson commented: "I've loved watching Steve's portrayal of super-slob Eddie and, with Gary [Windass] still very much part of Coronation Street, I'm sure it's not going to be the last we'll see of Eddie."

A show spokesman added: "The storyline is still being worked out but Steve will leave early next year."

Eddie is expected to leave Weatherfield as part of son Gary's post-traumatic stress storyline.

Steve Huison has admitted that his departure from Coronation Street was an emotional experience.

The actor today filmed his final scenes as Eddie Windass after two years playing the character.

Writing on Twitter this evening, Huison commented: "Eddie's last scenes shot today. Very emotional they were too. A morning spent with crying actors. Then hung up his dog-bed coat and left.

"It's amazing how close one gets to people in 2 and a half years, crew included. Very painful having to say goodbye. But isn't life about loss?"

Huison also expressed his gratitude to fans who had sent messages of support to him on his last day, saying: "Received 96 kind tweets re: Eddie today. Thanks so much."

The decision to write out the character of Eddie was announced in December. Huison later admitted that he was "disappointed" over the decision to bring Eddie's time on the cobbles to a close.

In recent weeks, a group of Corrie fans have called for Eddie to be given a reprieve by show bosses, launching a @SaveOurEddie campaign on Twitter. Huison has said that the door is being left open for a future comeback.

Thread Information