Emmerdale's current leading producers Keith Richardson and Anita Turner have announced their decisions to step down from their respective posts at the head of the ITV soap.

Executive producer Richardson, who has played an integral part in the rural soap's history for the past 24 years, will hand over the reins to ITV's head of continuing drama and former Emmerdale series producer Steve Frost, while Anita Turner's replacement has yet to be found.

Richardson (above) will, however, will retain his position as controller of drama for ITV subsidiary Yorkshire Television.

Of his appointment, Steve Frost said: "Emmerdale is a programme with fantastic history and it is a real honour to be returning to the production team."

Speaking of Richardson's contribution to the show, director of ITV Studios John Whiston said: "Keith Richardson and Emmerdale have been synonymous for more years than any of us care to remember. He has modernised and transformed the show, integrating ever more compelling drama into the programme while keeping it true to all the things the audience prize most, including Emmerdale's warmth, its rural setting and its good humour.

"It's hard to think of Emmerdale without Keith at the immediate helm but he leaves an indelible legacy, and his energy and enthusiasm for great drama will continue to infuse the show for years to come."

He added: "Steve is the best choice to take Emmerdale into a new era. He has a real passion for popular drama allied to a great sense of event. I know that under him, Emmerdale will continue to deliver brilliant storyline peaks as well as quality drama day in day out."

At the same time, series producer Anita Turner (right) will vacate her office after only a year in the chair heading up production of the five-nightly serial.
She said of her decision: "For my own part the show is the most important thing, and with changes at the top I can't help thinking this is the perfect time to introduce a new series producer as well. I think Emmerdale's future is bright and look forward to watching it on screen."

She continued: "Emmerdale is a programme with fantastic history and it is a real honour to be returning to the production team. Working on Emmerdale is more than a job - it's a passion and whilst I'm saddened that Keith has decided to step down, I know that Steve Frost has that passion and will make a wonderful successor."

Turner's stint at the head of the Yorkshire-based show was riddled with tabloid newspaper claims of low morale as well as a plethora of key cast members deciding to quit, including Roxanne Pallett (Jo Stiles), Matt Healy (Matt King), Emma Davies (Anna de Souza) and Michael Jayston (Donald de Souza).

However, she secured the castings of Amanda Donohoe and Maxwell Caulfield - who made their debut as Mark and Natasha Wylde in last night's episode - as well as the return of Jeff Hordley as Cain Dingle.