Thread: Oliver Kent Interview - Inside Soap

Oliver Kent Interview - Inside Soap

Which plot have you been most proud of this year? I loved Ruth’s big storyline, watching her cope with the pressures of being a junior doctor and the recovering from her suicide attempt. Although it was a really sad plot, ultimately it ended up being full of hope. Ruth will never be everyone’s best mate, but there’s a real sense that she loves the team.

Were you nervous about taclking a controversial subject like attempted suicide? Yes and no. You have to be very careful when covering such a story, and there are strict BBC guidelines about it, which we found very useful. The last thing we wanted to do was glamorise or sensationalise suicide, so we took a long time building up to it, and then winding down afterwards. The episode was planned for about for a year before we shot it - and actually, Ruth was originally supposed to die at the end. But then we were lucky enough to cast Georgia Taylor in the role, and the audience fell in love with her. So we asked her to stay on for longer, and I think it’s one of the best things we’ve done.

Are there plans for any further Casualty/Holby City crossover episodes? We would love to, but as yet there’s nothing in the pipeline. Logistically, it’s a nightmare because the programmes are filmed in different cities. Actually, you could argue that we’ve currently got the biggest crossover of all time by having Jordan in Casualty.

How did star Michael French’s (Jordan) return come about? It was during one of our storyline conferences about eighteen months ago that I suggested bringing him back, and luckily Michael agreed to it. The fact that Jordan was already known in a different capacity brings up all kinds of mysteries about where he’s been, and why he’s decided to return. The feedback we’ve had has been really positive, and I’m delighted with how it’s worked out.

One of the biggest stories of last year was the love affair between colleagues Jessica and Adam. How do you feel about showing more of the medics’ love lives in the show? I think there’s a big difference between stories about sex and stories about love. The thing with Jessica and Adam is that the audience really believe they should be together, and that allows us to take our time with it. So a few well-chosen romances are great. Viewers will probably have spotted little bits of chemistry that are developing between some characters at the moment.

A lot of stories in the current series revolve around the Farmead estate. Why did you decide to explore that particular location? Each series has a theme, and for series twenty-three, which is on the air right now, we wanted to explore the wrongs on society. we’re not trying to say that the Farmead estate - or any other estate in Britain for that matter - is full of exclusively bad people. But within Farmead you see a microcosm of what’s right and wrong with modern society.

Have the cast ever been mistaken for real medics while filming on location? Oh, I’m sure they have. One specific incident I remember is filming a fight scene, and a member of the public wading in to break it up. They somehow didn’t notices all the cameras, lights and things! Fortunately nobody was hurt, as it was a very well-managed stunt.

The underlying tension between consultant Adam and his boss Jordan, comes spilling out at the end of this month. “Jordan supports Adam’s brother, Alex, through a very difficult decision, which is hard for Adam to accept.” That will lead to a major confrontation between the two doctors.

It’ll be a tough 2009 for Jessica, as she moves on to the Farmead estate and fights to get her children back. From estranged husband Sean. “It’s a struggle for Jessica, but you never see any self-pity. And they’ll be a resolution to the Jessica and Adam romance - but I can’t say which way it’ll go.”

Zoe is in turmoil following Abby’s death, and applies to become Sharice’s guardian. “It’s something Zoe never imagined for herself. She’s never opened herself up to love, and now here she is, finally getting the chance to be a mum.”

Following her humiliation at the hands of Jordan, Ruth decides it’s time she had a man in her life. But who does the doctor set her sights on?

Keep your eyes peeled for a new paramedic who’ll be sexing up the ED from next month. “She’s really gorgeous and everyone will love her right from the start."
    Last edited by -Natasha-; 13-01-2009 at 11:50.

Thread Information