Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Return Of Fred Elliott

The Return Of Fred Elliott

The spirit of Coronation Street's dead butcher Fred Elliot is to make its presence felt in Weatherfield when it 'possesses' trainee meat seller Graeme Proctor.

Graeme - played by relative soap newcomer Craig Gazey - finds Fred's (John Savident) old straw boater at Ashley's (Steven Arnold) butcher's and begins to wear it on a day-to-day basis.

Corrie residents are soon stunned to hear Graeme take on the repetitive speech pattern of the late character.

One script sees Graeme tell Ashley that he found the hat "from that rack, I say, from that rack in the back".

Also, when barmaid Michelle Connor (Kym Marsh) compliments Graeme on his boater, he apparently replies: "Eeh, that’s right kind of you Michelle, I say right kind - in't it our Ashley?"

A Corrie source told The Sun: "This storyline will be absolutely hilarious. The character of Graeme is proving to be one of our funniest and this will be laughs all the way."

They added: "We've even talked about having the hat exorcised, which would be fantastic telly."

The larger-than-life butcher suffered a heart attack in October 2006 and died in the hallway of his close friend Audrey Roberts (Sue Nicholls).

Last month, John Savident expressed his disappointment with Coronation Street chiefs, claiming that they didn't try hard enough to accommodate his request for a lighter workload, while also cutting back on bonuses.

More recently, he criticised the younger Corrie cast for their attitude toward their acting roles.

I love Graeme, I think he's so funny. this storyline will be hilarious!

SBBB - Next Clue - Forget Hotel Babylon. We’re talking about the original TV hotel here.
    Last edited by Bryan; 22-06-2009 at 19:22.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

alvinsduckie (10-01-2009)

this sounds funny!

Could be awful, but im happy to see the funny side

its going to be one of those storylines that could be really good or really bad! Guess i'll have to tune in to find out

Smile The Ghost of Fred!

So once again we are going to be delving into the "spooky" side of Coronation Street?

I believe this was done years back with Gail's mother in law Ivy Brennan (but I may be wrong) and was it not done with VEra Duckworth at some point?

Maybe this time they can give a bit more of a story line instead of just skirting the subject?

But it's a nice thought, the idea of Fred being around his old shop, watching over Ashley, and knowing what a Wuss Ashley is,
    I can imagine his face when he gets scared , it will take Claire to come in and be "all common Sense" and try to say it's all cobblers!

And whilst I'm on the subject of Ashley and his family, where is Claire and Freddie??? They seem to have been spirited away, (sorry my duff humour)

Also in todays interest in all things Paranormal, this story could be handled well and maybe showing a visit to a Spiritualist church? now that could give lots of fun lines!!

Yea, I like this story line, bit of humour but a bit of comfort too, and who better than Greame, as he is never really going to be taken seriously!

Did you see 'Fred' on telly last night in Above Suspicion
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

And whilst I'm on the subject of Ashley and his family, where is Claire and Freddie??? They seem to have been spirited away, (sorry my duff humour)
    I think the actress who plays Claire is on maternity leave.. or some sort of leave. Maybe just stress leave. Someone can clear that up. But maybe the story is that Claire and Freddie have gone to stay with Claires mum or something like that..

Spooky or what!!

Hi

Yes I did, how spooky was that, did not even know he was in it, and I had already replied here before he was on TV.

An Omen or what!!!!

MIssing Claire

Yes seems Claire (actress Julia Haworth) was on maternity leave after having had a baby in the summer.

But we all know she had been hiding her bump, like all the other females who get pregnant on show, do the producers really think we can't see!!!!

Me thinks, it's time, when the ladies announce the pregnancy to all and sundrie, that they are very quickly "explained" away some where.

So annoying, to think we don't see that these characters, just vanish!

John Savident has died, aged 86

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...-fred-elliott/

Coronation Street star John Savident has died at the age of 86.

The actor is best known for playing the role of Fred Elliott on the ITV soap for over 10 years, first appearing on the cobbles in 1994 with the loveable butcher dying on screen in 2006.

News of his death was confirmed by Savident's agent on Friday (February 23).

"We are sad to announce the death of the actor John Savident who died on Wednesday 21 February, he was a much-loved husband and father of two and will be sorely missed by all who knew him," a statement read.

Savident started out as a police officer before quitting the force to begin his career in acting.

Prior to his soap role, the actor appeared as Doctor Meredith in The Remains of the Day, and appeared in a 1982 Doctor Who serial. He also starred in the original 1986 production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera as Monsieur Firmin.

Fred Elliott remains his most famous role, with viewers having a soft spot for the butcher who was always unlucky in love. Fred, who had an unofficial catchphrase of 'I Say', was wed three times on the show and had several unsuccessful proposals.

He was due to marry Bev Unwin (portrayed by actress Susie Blake) in his final episode back in 2006, but suffered a stroke and died ahead of the nuptials.

Soap fans will remember Fred's close bond with son Ashley Peacock on the show, who helped his dad out at the family butchers.

Ashley grew up thinking his parents were Sam and Beryl Peacock, but later discovered his "uncle Fred" was actually his father, born to mum Kathleen Gutteridge (Beryl's sister).

Kathleen and Fred were never married, with Fred's wives including Sybil Elliott (1959), Maureen Holdsworth (1997) and Evelyn Sykes (2001). He proposed to Kathleen and three others including Doreen Heavey, Rita Sullivan, and Audrey Roberts.

Savident married real-life wife Rona Hopkinson in 1961. He is survived by Hopkinson and their two children.

So sad RIP Fred, I say, RICoronation Street star John Savident has died at the age of 86.

The actor is best known for playing the role of Fred Elliott on the ITV soap for over 10 years, first appearing on the cobbles in 1994 with the loveable butcher dying on screen in 2006.

News of his death was confirmed by Savident's agent on Friday (February 23).

"We are sad to announce the death of the actor John Savident who died on Wednesday 21 February, he was a much-loved husband and father of two and will be sorely missed by all who knew him," a statement read.

john savident johnny briggs pauline flemming coronation street
    ITV/Shutterstock
    Savident started out as a police officer before quitting the force to begin his career in acting.

Prior to his soap role, the actor appeared as Doctor Meredith in The Remains of the Day, and appeared in a 1982 Doctor Who serial. He also starred in the original 1986 production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera as Monsieur Firmin.

Fred Elliott remains his most famous role, with viewers having a soft spot for the butcher who was always unlucky in love. Fred, who had an unofficial catchphrase of 'I Say', was wed three times on the show and had several unsuccessful proposals.

john savident
    Ken McKay/Shutterstock
    He was due to marry Bev Unwin (portrayed by actress Susie Blake) in his final episode back in 2006, but suffered a stroke and died ahead of the nuptials.

Soap fans will remember Fred's close bond with son Ashley Peacock on the show, who helped his dad out at the family butchers.

Ashley grew up thinking his parents were Sam and Beryl Peacock, but later discovered his "uncle Fred" was actually his father, born to mum Kathleen Gutteridge (Beryl's sister).

Kathleen and Fred were never married, with Fred's wives including Sybil Elliott (1959), Maureen Holdsworth (1997) and Evelyn Sykes (2001). He proposed to Kathleen and three others including Doreen Heavey, Rita Sullivan, and Audrey Roberts.

Savident married real-life wife Rona Hopkinson in 1961. He is survived by Hopkinson and their two children.

So sad RIP, Fred, I say, RIP xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (24-02-2024)

RIP John

I'll be honest thought he was dead many years ago

Thread Information