Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Doctor Who to be announced

New Doctor Who to be announced

The name of the actor who will replace David Tennant as Doctor Who will be announced on Saturday.

Tennant said in October that he would stand down from the show after filming four special episodes in 2009.

His replacement - the eleventh Doctor of the TV series - will be revealed in a Doctor Who Confidential programme on BBC One at 1735 on 3 January.

The casting was confirmed over Christmas and filming for the 2010 series begins in the summer.

Tennant is due to begin shooting the first of his four specials this month, just weeks after surgery on his back.

The last of these episodes is expected to run in early 2010.

'Nail-biting Christmas'

The casting decision has been a priority for the show's new creative team, led by executive producers Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger.

THE 10 DOCTORS

1. William Hartnell
    2. Patrick Troughton
    3. Jon Pertwee
    4. Tom Baker (pictured)
    5. Peter Davison
    6. Colin Baker
    7. Sylvester McCoy
    8. Paul McGann
    9. Christopher Eccleston
    10. David Tennant
    11. ???

The BBC said that in Saturday's Doctor Who special "the actor playing the new Doctor will be giving his or her initial reaction" to becoming TV's most famous time traveller.

Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said: "We believe the actor is going to bring something very special to the role and will make it absolutely their own.

"I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is - it has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps!"

Shortly after Tennant's announcement, bookmakers were tipping several well-known names as the next actor (or actress) to step into the Tardis.

Murphy's Law and Cold Feet star James Nesbitt emerged as one of the favourites, along with Paterson Joseph, John Simm and David Morrissey - who appeared in the 2008 Christmas special.

Paterson Joseph, who recently starred in Survivors and appeared in two Doctor Who episodes in 2005, has said "any actor would love the challenge" of playing the Time Lord.

Bookmakers made him an early favourite - offering odds of 3-1 on him becoming the first black Doctor.

Comedian Jennifer Saunders, former Doctor Who assistant Billie Piper and film star Catherine Zeta Jones have also been mentioned in connection with the role.

The show's outgoing executive producer Russell T Davies said last month: "Whoever becomes the Doctor has got to take on a whole life. It's not just becoming a part of a TV show."

In October, when Tennant was asked who he thought should replace him, he joked: "Well, I've always been a big supporter of Wee Jimmy Krankie!"

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the role the same year.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (02-01-2009), Jojo (02-01-2009)

Ooo I wonder what the ratings will be like for that show

works out fine for me finish work at 4 woo hoo

Oooh i wanted them to keep us in suspense longer
    Focus should be on David and his last episodes.
    They should only tell us when they have too.
    I do wonder who it would be yes, however its not like it keeps me awake at night wondering

when is this on?

Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Oooh i wanted them to keep us in suspense longer
    Focus should be on David and his last episodes.
    They should only tell us when they have too.
    I do wonder who it would be yes, however its not like it keeps me awake at night wondering
    Yeah that true, I mean I wanna know but I love david as the doctor so much, he should still get a lot of attention

will be revealed in a Doctor Who Confidential programme on BBC One at 1735 on 3 January.
    here you go

noo!!!!! i'll be on the coach at this time! can someone please text me who it is!????

Quote Originally Posted by Halleljuah View Post
    noo!!!!! i'll be on the coach at this time! can someone please text me who it is!????

pm me your number i already have a list to text to lol

I would, but Luna is

Even though I know im gonna be in when its on Im gonna record it to

Thread Information