Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Retailers and Business going into Administration

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    One of the Birthdays near me has closed, but the Bay Tradings down here are still open.

I far prefer "real" cards, but the supermarkets have helped in putting Birthdays etc under - with some of their value cards at around 25p, there is no way some of the companies can compete with them, plus, so many people get the cards with their weekly shop etc, its making for an "easier" life.

I do send cards through Moonpig to people I don't live near (eh Debs ), but otherwise, I do try and use our smaller outlets

Allied Carpets has gone into administration, as the stagnating housing market led to a fall in demand for carpets and flooring.

But 51 of its 217 stores and its insurance inspection business have been sold immediately, saving 400 jobs, administrator BDO Stoy Hayward said.

All stores are trading normally and outstanding customer orders will be fulfilled in all stores, it said.

Deposits are safe but anyone with queries should contact a local store.

All staff wages will be paid on the normal payment dates, the administrators said. About 1,100 staff work in the stores that have gone into administration.

Dermot Power, business restructuring partner at BDO, said that, like many companies, Allied Carpets had suffered in difficult trading conditions.

"The stagnation of the housing market has meant that fewer people are buying carpets and flooring," he said.

"We are currently working to secure a going-concern sale of the remaining stores in the Allied Carpets portfolio."

Allied Carpets is the second biggest carpet retailer in the UK, behind Carpetright.

BDO sold the 51 stores and the Allied Carpets brand to a new firm, Allied Carpets Retail Limited, set up by Allied chief executive Clive Hutchings.

Allied is not alone in having seen sales slump as demand for big-ticket homeware goods has fallen in the recession.

Last month, rival Carpetright reported a 72% drop in profits after sales fell 7.4% compared with the previous year.

The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that sales in the last two months have seen the biggest declines since the ONS started keeping records in 1988.

According to the most recent figures, sales from household goods stores in the three months to May fell 7.3% compared with a year earlier.

Source: BBC News
    Last edited by .:SpIcYsPy:.; 17-07-2009 at 18:15.

another one to add to the list, First Quench/Thresher group went in to administration on thursday, its the company i work for. its really scary thinking you may not have a job very soon
    Last edited by willow; 02-11-2009 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    another one to add to the list, First Quench/Thresher group went in to administration on thursday, its the company i work for. its really scary thinking you may not have a job very soon
    that must be a horrible feeling willow

I heard it on the news the other day xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    that must be a horrible feeling willow

I heard it on the news the other day xxxxx
    its just the not knowing what is going to happen, wondering if i will still have a job when i go in tomorrow, i can't apply for anything as it still might be bought out by someone. and i have been there for 7 years so should get a bit of redundancy pay, hopefully

Hope you find a new employer quickly. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    so do i!

i got a call tonight saying we are one of the shop the shops thatare closing, just what you want to hear just before christmas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    so do i!

i got a call tonight saying we are one of the shop the shops thatare closing, just what you want to hear just before christmas!!
    I am so sorry, willow, that is bad news. Any chance of being transferred to another shop in your area? Good luck anyway xx

This was in this morning's metro:

More than 1,700 workers at the off-licence group behind Threshers and wine rack are to lose their jobs. A total of 247 First Quench drinks stpres are to close. 247 are to close on 25 November and a further 126 will shut on 2 December.

Hope your employer is one of the ones that find a buyer Williow. It's a terrible time of year to be made redundant.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information